Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2017, 06:40 AM

703 posts, read 780,377 times

Advertisements

Many folks by now may have heard this story about the homeless fellow in Philadelphia who selflessly helped a lady who ran out of gas by using his last $20. Well, it turns out that the homeless guy is from nearby Henderson. It seems like things deteriorated quickly for him over the last 18 months - due in large part to some bad personal choices. His past doesn't exactly look unblemished either.

Although this story had been communicated through local TV and newspapers, I hadn't seen anything that mentioned that the man had been from the local area. And I'm not entirely sure that everyone here will agree whether Henderson is considered local, or part of the Triangle, or not. Mods, if you feel it needs moved to the NC forum, then go ahead and do so.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.217c87436994
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 08:30 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
I read that story this morning. It's a great story, especially appropriate for Thankgiving. I haven't any idea how the OP knows any personal information about him, but it doesn't matter to me.

What IS interesting (to me) is that the fund raising goal to help this man was $10,000. She's collected over $60,000 by now. I hope that the excess funds are used to assist more than just this one good man. Maybe a non profit organization that works with the homeless.

Old 11-24-2017, 08:44 AM

703 posts, read 780,377 times
The GoFundMe site is now over $290k. Incredible. I have no personal insight to this man’s situation. I just read about his background in one of the WashPost stories.

I read that the man wanted the donations stopped by the time it had reached $15K. He is very much wanting to direct much of the excess funding to others in the same boat as him. The girl who started this doesn’t want to intervene in where the funds go, and is leaving it up to the man to decide.

It’s interesting to note that, as of 18 months ago, the man looked to be a functioning adult with a Facebook page and all. Unreal how fast someone can go from that to homeless. Must be a lot to that story.

Last edited by Thr3stripe; 11-24-2017 at 08:52 AM..

Old 11-24-2017, 09:28 AM

6,825 posts, read 9,059,808 times
Title of the article suggested $60K raised but text says $10K. Maybe that's an update. With that kind of money I think he will be OK.

Strange in a way because I've had people ask me for money for gas. And I've almost always said no. Next time I will be more sympathetic.

Old 11-25-2017, 08:13 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Title of the article suggested $60K raised but text says $10K. Maybe that's an update. With that kind of money I think he will be OK.

Strange in a way because I've had people ask me for money for gas. And I've almost always said no. Next time I will be more sympathetic.
That's a nice thing to say, Zitsky. I never give cash, but have sometimes purchased gas, coffee, water and food. Sometimes the mentally ill folks (who may not be homeless) will not take food, fearing that it is poisoned.

When I lived in downtown Philly and walked to work, I had a regular route that included several of these poor souls. Eventually, I learned their names and most learned to trust that the food that I brought was okay to eat. One lady liked apples and insisted that I call her "Apple Annie." The apples had to be red. If they were green apples or pears or whatever, she said no thank you. And she would only take one are time.

That was nearly 30 years ago.

Old 11-25-2017, 08:30 AM

6,825 posts, read 9,059,808 times
Good point. When living in Chicago I would sometimes meet a few people who were mentally ill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary