Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you think will be getting Amazon HQ2?
Raleigh (Triangle area) 73 24.17%
Charlotte 6 1.99%
Austin 33 10.93%
Pittsburgh 16 5.30%
NYC Area (NY/NJ) 8 2.65%
Philly 5 1.66%
Detroit 6 1.99%
Miami 1 0.33%
Atlanta 62 20.53%
Boston 24 7.95%
Somewhere else 68 22.52%
Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 04:24 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,259,536 times

Advertisements

I just saw the other thread was Locked. PLEASE keep this thread with information about this venture. Not random opinions and peepee matches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 04:27 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,259,536 times
https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle...ce-filled.html

If Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos is really interested in understanding what a community is willing to do to land the e-commerce giant's second corporate headquarters location, he should send one of his lieutenants to the Research Triangle Foundation (RTF) offices on Monday.

Research Triangle Regional Partnership, the region's economic development arm that is spearheading the pitch for Amazon's HQ2 on behalf of Triangle communities, is asking some 90 influential business, education and civic leaders to be part of a task force that will assist the group in perfecting its proposal to land the $5 billion, 50,000-worker project. The deadline to submit the request for proposal to Amazon is Oct. 19.

The task force's first meeting is scheduled for Monday at 1:30 p.m. at the RTF offices.

An email obtained by Triangle Business Journal that was sent out Oct. 2 by Ryan Combs, executive director of the RTRP, and John Kane of Kane Realty details the purpose and scope of the task force.

"For the Triangle to be successful in the endeavor, we have to have a strong regional voice and you would be a tremendous asset to our team," write the authors. "We will also open up the discussion on our marketing strategies going forward and look at ways that you could assist in that effort."

Among the business leaders who received the invitation to be on the task force were GlaxoSmithKline's (NYSE: GSK) U.S. head Jack Bailey; QuintilesIMS (NYSE: Q) CEO Ari Bousbib; Credit Suisse (NYSE: CS) local site lead Jim Captain; Highwoods Properties (NYSE: HIW) CEO Ed Fritsch; Martin Marietta (NYSE: MLM) CEO Ward Nye; former Raleigh Mayor Smedes York; United Therapeutics (Nasdaq: UTHR) founder Martine Rothblatt; and Capitol Broadcasting Company CEO Jim Goodmon among many others.From the education sector, RTRP officials also have invited chancellors from the largest universities in the Triangle along with Stephen Scott, CEO of Wake Technical Community College.

Also, to work the government relations angle with its vast North Carolina and Washington, D.C., network, RTRP wants individuals such as former U.S. Ambassador Jim Cain and former Greater Raleigh Chamber of Commerce CEO Harvey Schmitt involved.

Because of the size and the potential economic impact of the project, several executives already have indicated they want to help RTRP in finalizing the RFP, according to people familiar with the effort.

While officials are quiet about the Triangle locations that will be part of the proposal, sources say at least eight sites have been identified for the project. That number is expected to dwindle in the coming days following the meeting.

Old 10-07-2017, 04:44 PM

129 posts, read 178,993 times
Does anyone have any guesses as to where the eight sites could be?

Old 10-07-2017, 05:28 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
well, the airport authority has some land they could lease them...

i'm sure there's enough land in RTP, yes?

there's plenty of land east of Raleigh near Highway 264/I-whatever it's going to be.

If it's just a high-rise office building, Raleigh has a site downtown available.

I bet there's land just south of the US1-540 interchange near the Nuclear Plant.

There may or may not be enough land between 55 Bypass and US1 in Holly Springs, near Novartis.

We could let them have some Dix park acreage .... oh wait, no economic development allowed there.

Old 10-07-2017, 05:41 PM

459 posts, read 373,282 times
Amazon DOES NOT, NOT, NOT want RTP--Amazon isn't broke, they have a lot of money they don't care about cheap land somewhere. It wants an urban HQ. RTP is a corporate campus hellhole. Amazon doesn't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere, it wants a downtown location. So that means Downtown Raleigh or Durham--in reality that means Boston or Pittsburgh.

Old 10-07-2017, 06:35 PM

127 posts, read 135,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighsocial View Post
Amazon DOES NOT, NOT, NOT want RTP--Amazon isn't broke, they have a lot of money they don't care about cheap land somewhere. It wants an urban HQ. RTP is a corporate campus hellhole. Amazon doesn't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere, it wants a downtown location. So that means Downtown Raleigh or Durham--in reality that means Boston or Pittsburgh.
I don't disagree that RTP is just a bunch of urban campuses, but I don't really see why they'd choose Raleigh or Durham if they weren't there. I mean, that's this area's competitive advantage, and it's where the vast majority of the tech companies are. If you want an urban location, you're really looking in the wrong metro area.

I'd say the two big sides in RTP they would try to push are the land south of Cisco/East Parkside/North 540 and the land just north of Morrisville on Davis.

Otherwise I'd wonder if they try and eminent domain the rural land northeast of Cary, along 40.

Old 10-07-2017, 07:04 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,588,554 times
Quote:
I agree but I guess it doesn't hurt to try with an RTP bid. I don't see space in the downtown areas for something of the scale Amazon is looking for.

Old 10-07-2017, 07:41 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
we could let them have about 1/2 the Capital Blvd corridor from Yonkers to Wade, and work it all into the planned park along the creek.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:27 PM

459 posts, read 373,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I agree but I guess it doesn't hurt to try with an RTP bid. I don't see space in the downtown areas for something of the scale Amazon is looking for.
That's literally what Amazon has stated multiple times that it wants. Urban HQ. Amazon wants it's workers to commute via public transportation and for its workers to walk to chic downtown lunch spots. Youthful and urban. Not be stuck in RTP where 50,000 workers have to drive to work and eat at terrible fast food places because it's too far to walk anywhere. Truth be told, they will likely choose Boston or somewhere similar. Extremely tightly packed downtowns. Much, much more so than that of Raleigh or Durham and they will spend millions to buy out property to build a new HQ. Amazon doesn't need to find space, it will make it. They want to be another tower in a sky full of them. If Raleigh skyline was someone's hair, it's a comb-over as best. There's so much space.

Old 10-08-2017, 03:27 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,066 times
Quote:
That's literally what Amazon has stated multiple times that it wants. Urban HQ. Amazon wants it's workers to commute via public transportation and for its workers to walk to chic downtown lunch spots. Youthful and urban. Not be stuck in RTP where 50,000 workers have to drive to work and eat at terrible fast food places because it's too far to walk anywhere. Truth be told, they will likely choose Boston or somewhere similar. Extremely tightly packed downtowns. Much, much more so than that of Raleigh or Durham and they will spend millions to buy out property to build a new HQ. Amazon doesn't need to find space, it will make it. They want to be another tower in a sky full of them. If Raleigh skyline was someone's hair, it's a comb-over as best. There's so much space.
Maybe this might get us our train.

Amazon is not as stupid our legislature and wants good transit not a bunch of poorly planned roads gerrymandered by stupid expansion to carry a load they cannot handle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary