Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 10:25 AM

80 posts, read 79,704 times

Advertisements

We've noticed this problem is worse on local interstates. People flying up from behind and tailgating, then shaking their fist in anger as they zoom on past. In the news people have been shot at while driving on 440. I've heard some people say the problem is getting worse as traffic gets worse and that may be part of the reason for this. But when you think about it, is bad traffic really a rational reason for anyone to go into road rage? I think not. And it's not like bad traffic is all that new. It's getting worse, but it's been bad for a long time.

It would be interesting to hear the experiences people have had here with this. How do you handle it when someone rages at you from behind the wheel of a passing vehicle?

Do you rage back? Or do you stay calm, let them pass and just hope they don't harm anyone with their reckless driving?

We were at Cameron Village one day waiting at a stop sign in the parking lot before entering the side road. Someone in a parking space backed into the back end of our car. With all due respect for my northeastern friends here, the guy jumped out of his car raging, eyes bulging, cursing NYC ball park peanuts as high as the sky, and saying we got in his way even though he was not backing out before we got to the stop sign. He likely just started backing out without looking and wham! Thankfully our car was not damaged nor was his. The guy steamed off while we said as little as possible so as not to incite a riot, then he got back in his car and we left the area. This guy was not in bad traffic at all. He just had anger control issues. Or hemorrhoids maybe. Maybe it's an epidemic of hemorrhoids! Drivers with hemorrhoids, bad combination and they can't sit for long....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 10:41 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,278,777 times
This has been discussed a gazillion times. Humans have a natural instinct to want to be first. The more people you put on a road, the more complicated it becomes as people try to be first. People have different personalities, some handle it better than others.

It's a fact of life that will end with self-driving cars.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:44 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
This has been discussed a gazillion times. Humans have a natural instinct to want to be first. The more people you put on a road, the more complicated it becomes as people try to be first. People have different personalities, some handle it better than others.

It's a fact of life that will end with self-driving cars.
It's the exact reason many people will never get a self driving car.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:45 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,278,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
It's the exact reason many people will never get a self driving car.
I'm hoping someday there won't be a choice.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:55 AM

You do all realize, don't you, that this will not stop road rage per se. The car's computer will simply drive the control freak sitting on his hemorrhoids in the cushy seat totally insane when it says, "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."

And we'll end up with vehicles passing us on the freeway with at least one passenger inside biting at the upholstery and spitting peanuts outside the car windows!!! And just think what these maniacs could do to passersby if they have both hands free and off the steering wheel!

I mean seriously.

We'll end up with cars and people killing one another then! And the cars will win every time!

Old 03-13-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I'm hoping someday there won't be a choice.
I doubt that will happen, but as time goes by more people will be open to it. My 17 year olds have zero interest in driving. Neither do any of their friends, apparently.

As far as the OP's question, no I don't notice it and I've never been a victim of it, anywhere....if you are constantly on the receiving end of road rage and people shaking their fist as you, you need to examine your driving habits. As I told one of my aforementioned 17 year olds, it pains me to give him this advise but he drives WAY too slow and he's going to get in an accident one day because of it.
I also know two kids who failed their driving test for driving too slow.

Years ago when I worked handling auto claims in NY we had a family insured with us and they were ALL constantly getting hit in the rear. I'm not joking we were getting a claim a month from them. Eventually they got dropped. I mean there's bad luck, and then there's bad driving.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:02 AM

Well that's what you get for raising your kid here.

Sounds like a really good kid to me. I don't see slow driving listed here as one of the top 15 causes of accidents although yes, you're right that some people drive too slowly at times. Tractors in the country and funeral processions being two examples. I really start spitting peanuts whenever people in front of me start pulling over as a slow poke funeral passes by. Talk about inconsiderate!

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/laiza..._11722196.html

Old 03-13-2018, 11:06 AM

Good kid, terrible driver Gonna be a little while till he gets the license even though he's had a permit over a year.

Has nothing to do with where he's raised by the way. Hard as this may be for you to believe, parents are still the biggest influence on their kids - many just forget that. Had it reinforced this weekend at a streetsafeusa seminar where the folks in charge told us they poll the kids taking the class and that's overwhelmingly what they (the kids) say.

So NY born-and-bred DH and I will take credit for our three great kids.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:12 AM

I am in full agreement with you that parents are the biggest influencers on their kids and congrats to you that your example has taught your kid to drive cautiously. I mean that. It sounds like you've done a terrific job!

Old 03-13-2018, 11:12 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,657,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat45 View Post
Someone in a parking space backed into the back end of our car. With all due respect for my northeastern friends here, the guy jumped out of his car raging, eyes bulging, cursing NYC ball park peanuts as high as the sky, and saying we got in his way even though he was not backing out before we got to the stop sign. He likely just started backing out without looking and wham! Thankfully our car was not damaged nor was his. The guy steamed off while we said as little as possible so as not to incite a riot, then he got back in his car and we left the area. This guy was not in bad traffic at all. He just had anger control issues. Or hemorrhoids maybe. Maybe it's an epidemic of hemorrhoids! Drivers with hemorrhoids, bad combination and they can't sit for long....
That kind of aggression is very common in Nassau County NY; it's one of the main reasons why we left Long Island.

After awhile, it becomes wearisome to engage people on a daily basis, when they're filled with senseless rage.

The South isn't perfect, but I would much rather deal with a bunch of "bless your heart(s)" over a bunch of lunatics from behind the wheel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary