Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 12:22 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,773,458 times

Advertisements

Moving here for a good job is one thing, but I'd think twice about moving here to work Uber or retail. Somewhere like Winston-Salem is much cheaper and still has those sorts of jobs.

Also, once you factor in the hidden costs of driving for Uber, it is bad deal, imo.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...-median-report

"Uber and Lyft drivers in the US make a median profit of as little as $8.55 per hour before taxes, according to a new report that suggests a majority of ride-share workers make below minimum wage and that some actually lose money."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 12:31 PM

794 posts, read 1,325,876 times
(I'm going to preface my post but saying I do not work in IT but my husband does)

The job market is really hot for IT here too but you're right that housing will be a lot less expensive. Or, you will at least get more for your money here.

Not all of the people in IT have degrees so I don't think that would be an immediate barrier for your husband down here. But, if someone doesn't have a degree, it seems like they usually have the appropriate certifications for they software they work in. If your husband does not have these, it might be something he could consider investing time and money in now to make him a better candidate here or in NOVA.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:51 PM

12 posts, read 16,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stcyvargas View Post
We moved to the triangle 3 years ago, with our 5 year old son, and we love it! Great schools and tons of parks. So much fun stuff to do with the family! There are lots of good jobs here and it's not too terribly expensive to rent. Highly recommended!
That's an encouraging feedback, thanks a lot!!

Old 03-12-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_widget View Post
(I'm going to preface my post but saying I do not work in IT but my husband does)

The job market is really hot for IT here too but you're right that housing will be a lot less expensive. Or, you will at least get more for your money here.

Not all of the people in IT have degrees so I don't think that would be an immediate barrier for your husband down here. But, if someone doesn't have a degree, it seems like they usually have the appropriate certifications for they software they work in. If your husband does not have these, it might be something he could consider investing time and money in now to make him a better candidate here or in NOVA.

My husband has got a degree in his field and many other professional certificates (Microsoft, IBM..etc). He earned them back home during his work within IT infrastructure and retail operations positions where he supervised about +30 staff members looking after 7 hypermarkets each single day including weekends. I agree though he should keep his skills more up to date. Thanks a lot for the feedback!

Old 03-12-2018, 04:30 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,185,725 times
Do you have an Obamacare plan? Keep in mind that Blue Cross Blue Shield is the only insurance company left and they only sell a stripped down plan that a lot of providers won’t take. It’s super frustrating, because it doesn’t make it a very viable alternative.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
Do you have an Obamacare plan? Keep in mind that Blue Cross Blue Shield is the only insurance company left and they only sell a stripped down plan that a lot of providers won’t take. It’s super frustrating, because it doesn’t make it a very viable alternative.

We have Kaiser health (KP) plan purchased through the Market Place here in VA.

Looks like health plans in NC is much different than VA.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:28 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times
I’m on Medicare plus Blue Shield Medigap coverage...would this coverage work in NC should I move there! Thx

Old 03-13-2018, 04:02 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times
Sorry, didn’t intend to hj the thread

Old 03-16-2018, 10:01 PM

90 posts, read 89,907 times
Why not move to somewhere cheaper in NOVA like Woodbridge?

Old 03-17-2018, 03:37 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali77 View Post
We have Kaiser health (KP) plan purchased through the Market Place here in VA.

Looks like health plans in NC is much different than VA.
Kaiser was once in NC and we liked it.

Kaiser left this area many years ago.

Non-employer based health plans are very costly here as are private schools and day care.

Rents and home prices are escalating.

Just watch as taxes soar for unpaid infrastructure needs followed by auto insurance from the aggressive drivers now scattering the roads with bent metal every day.

Without a stable well paying job, you would be foolish to pick this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary