Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 02:04 PM

23 posts, read 19,145 times

Advertisements

I've posted a few times before and I'm seeking even more information. Questions are always popping up! Thank you ahead of time for all of your great responses. I always seem to get what I'm looking for.

1. The wife and I are still deciding, but if we were to move to Wake Forest/Raleigh/Knightdale/Morrisville where would you go for the best snowboarding? And how far is it?

2. I've spoken to a few different people that live in the Raleigh area and did some researching, is it true that if we were to make at least $65,000/year (together) we would live comfortably?

3. We are thinking about installing an in-ground pool in our backyard once we get a house, but we aren't 100% sure. We don't see a lot of houses with them. Is that because it's hard to manage due to the heavy rain, cold winters, etc? What are the precautions we would have to take?

4. I would be working in Cybersecurity, would most of my job opportunities be in/near Raleigh?

5. In your opinion, where is the best nightlife located?

6. How is the housing market right now? Buyers/sellers? Is it going to get better/worse by 2019?

Last edited by andrew1175; 02-05-2018 at 02:06 PM.. Reason: One more question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 02:10 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,278,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew1175 View Post
I've posted a few times before and I'm seeking even more information. Questions are always popping up! Thank you ahead of time for all of your great responses. I always seem to get what I'm looking for.

1. The wife and I are still deciding, but if we were to move to Wake Forest/Raleigh/Knightdale/Morrisville where would you go for the best snowboarding? And how far is it?

2. I've spoken to a few different people that live in the Raleigh area and did some researching, is it true that if we were to make at least $65,000/year (together) we would live comfortably?

3. We are thinking about installing an in-ground pool in our backyard once we get a house, but we aren't 100% sure. We don't see a lot of houses with them. Is that because it's hard to manage due to the heavy rain, cold winters, etc? What are the precautions we would have to take?

4. I would be working in Cybersecurity, would most of my job opportunities be in/near Raleigh?

6. How is the housing market right now? Buyers/sellers? Is it going to get better/worse by 2019?
1. I'm not sure. It's not close though.

2. It depends completely on many different factors. Children? House? Cars? General living style?

3. Many subdivisions have community pools. Smaller lots are the norm in the Triangle, which makes pools difficult.

4. Most of your job opportunities would likely be in Durham at RTP, although there are plenty of tech jobs elsewhere in Raleigh, Cary, Chapel Hill, etc.

5. Depends on what you're looking for. Likely Downtown Raleigh and Downtown Durham.

6. It's a crazy sellers market. It will get even worse in the Spring, but it will slow down at some point. The question is when. If we knew we'd be rich.

Old 02-05-2018, 02:15 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,381,252 times

Regardless of which of those cities/towns you decide to live in, the answer will be the same though I don't know of a specific spot. It's about 3-4 hours to anywhere that has snowboarding.

Yes. My husband and I do and we live comfortably.

Pools are hard on reselling and come with additional liability on the part of the property owner; it's not really about the weather impacting the usage of the pool IMHO. You definitely need to have a fence around the pool.

Probably in RTP rather than Raleigh but there are some businesses in Raleigh that fall into that category.

Downtown Raleigh or downtown Durham.

Awesome for sellers, a bit rough for buyers because there's such a demand. I don't see it getting "worse" by 2019, just more of the same.

Old 02-05-2018, 02:42 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,186,337 times
No clue.

Depends on your definition of comfortable. I think you will likely need to manage your expectations in terms of buying a house.

Probably problematic for any neighborhood with an HOA. Also a liability issue. When we looked at houses, this was a negative, not a plus.

RTP

Downtown Raleigh and Durham.

I don't see it getting better. It's a sellers market.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:48 PM

626 posts, read 626,645 times
Quote:

1. The area around Boone would be the closest for snowboarding. But a majority of the people I know go up to WV for the better slopes.

2. You would live comfortably if you watch your finances.

3. Alot of people here in NC don't have in ground pools due to the cost.

4. Yes, most of the jobs would be around Raleigh and the RTP. I am in Cybersecurity as well.

5. Nightlife as in What exactly?

Old 02-05-2018, 04:09 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,775,072 times
Quote:
This is really going to depend on your specifics. I could be comfortable in retirement on that, with a paid off house, medicare and a lower tax rate because a significant chunk of my income was SS. But my expenses for a family with payroll taxes, income taxes, property taxes, car payments, mortgages, health care, retirement savings, groceries, entertainment, saving for college, vacations, etc., I think I'd be sweating it a little.

Old 02-05-2018, 04:13 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,531,839 times
Quote:
<>
<>
<>
Best NC snowboarding is any of the Appalachian resorts which are about 4 hours west. Best snowboarding handy is to fly to Salt Lake City. Denver is much harder to get to the slopes.
Do not add a pool, find a friend or neighbor with one or buy in a neighborhood with a pool. Unfortunately they will also have an HOA, but there you go. Pool maintenance is a living horror.

Old 02-05-2018, 04:22 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,186,337 times
Also if you plan on having kids, childcare expenses would make it challenging on that salary.

Old 02-05-2018, 04:44 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,969,854 times
1. snowboarding: best is in WVa. 6 hours door-to-door in winter weather.
2. $65K comfortable: yes, if that is your #1 priority.
3. pool precautions: tall fence with umbrella insurance.
4. cybersecurity: RTP most likely. i'm guessing on this one.
5. nightlife: Chapel Hill. Raleigh for the weekend. i don't do Durham anymore.
6. this housing market is what the above posters said it is. Seller's rule.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:30 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:

1. NC Mountains, 3-4 hours away.
2. You will have to tell us what you mean by "comfortable." If it means a modest house with a low payment and you're not dealing with 2 car payments at a time and spending a lot of time eating out, it can be done.
3. I really don't see 65k a year as "we have an in-ground pool" money in this area. Not saying it does not happen, just saying I see it as less common unless you're living in a rural area with lower housing costs.
4. I would think RTP. I would also think that you should be able to make more than 65k a year doing that type of work in RTP, but I have no idea how experienced or not you are.
5. Nightlife? Downtown Raleigh or Durham, mostly.
6. Sellers in the price bracket I am imagining you needing to shop in to live comfortably on 65k, but again, I have no idea of what sort of money you're putting down, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary