Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 11:14 AM

43 posts, read 320,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nudepontiac View Post
I have looked at the map at least 50 times and the mapping tools in remax.com. No luck. South raleigh is a bit too far for her to drive (she is not a good driver. )
Let us know what route she takes, so we can avoid it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2006, 12:44 PM

223 posts, read 1,065,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nudepontiac View Post
Folks,thanks a lot for the valuable info. We actually did try to drive Durham->Sanford->Fayetteville. But it seems that either my wife or I have to drive HWY 421 which passes Downtown Sanford. I am thinking about another possibility: Benson near the intersection between I-40 and I-95. It seems that the commute will be far better than Sanford due to fast speed in the two major highways. I don't know why nobody has raised this possibility before. Any insights?
First to address your Benson question.
My work takes me there once or twice a month. It doesn't strike me as particularly unsafe, but compared to Sanford it seems like a fairly depressed area and just not much there. (See Raleigh Rob's post..)
Also, I40/I95 aren't much fun to drive no matter how fast you can go on them, what with accidents and delays... pretty stressful.

Second,
There are ways to get down to Fayetteville and up to Durham from Sanford w/out going on 421 (Horner Blvd.). If you p.m. me, I'll tell you the roads to take. Where in Sanford are you considering homes? That will help determine the best route. (Also, there is a bypass being built around Sanford that will be ready in a few years.)
What time of day will you be leaving for work? If it's before 7 a.m. you wouldn't hit much traffic on Horner(421) anyway, even if you happen to drive it.
Hope this helps.

Old 12-21-2006, 02:45 PM

9 posts, read 45,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin HW Engineer View Post
Let us know what route she takes, so we can avoid it.
That's funny, Engineer. Avoid I-40 all the time. She is on there.

Old 12-21-2006, 03:18 PM

Have anyone heard of Carolina Trace? We happened to drive past this community but the security won't let us in (saying we will get lost inside. Maybe he didn't see my pioneer GPS in the car.) It looks like a golf course and pretty old. Does anyone have friends living in there? Is it a good community?

Old 12-21-2006, 04:42 PM

Carolina Trace was started in the 1970's, primarily as a retirement community. It has since grown to over 1000 homes, though you'd never realize there were that many as you drive through it. Lots are all good sized, and no "cookie cutter" homes. The oldest, as I said, date back to the 70's, with all other ages, including current new construction.
They range in price from $200K all the way up to $1 million. Lakefront, golf course, wooded, take your pick.
There are a lot of retirees, but we also know of a number of younger families with children that live there. Most of the residents are from somewhere other than NC, especially the northeast and midwest.
All in all it's a VERY nice community. Check the website, w.carolinatracecc.com for more info. There are usually homes for rent there too, so you may want to consider that as an option. By the way, it's only about 20-25 mins. to Bragg from there.

Old 12-21-2006, 06:55 PM

MariGirl, appreciate it.

Old 12-22-2006, 07:10 AM

28 posts, read 104,401 times
Default in similar situation

just wanted to add onto some of the previous comments in this thread... i am in a somewhat similar situation and relocating to NC from Atlanta - I will have to commute to Raleigh/RTP for work and my future hubby will be commuting to Ft. Bragg so we were trying to determine the best location for both of us. To be honest I'm not at all familiar with the area so I relied heavily on advice from posters on here and MariGirl knows what she is talking about! I looked at some homes in Carolina Lakes - a bit closer to Fayetteville than Carolina Trace - and loved them. Since my chances of being able to work from home have since been squashed we needed something that put me a bit closer to Raleigh since there would likely be more traffic heading in that direction for the morning commute than down to Fayetteville. We have since decided on a place in Holly Springs and while I have not yet had the chance to try the commute (not moving until Jan.) I've been told it's about 20 miles to Raleigh and 40 to Fayetteville. Just a thought from someone in a similar situation.... good luck!

Old 12-22-2006, 11:02 AM

Default Distance to Ft. Bragg

Hey, thanks for the compliment Movin2NC! Glad that you found a home and hope you will enjoy it.
I have to say though that I'm a bit concerned about the distance you've been told it is to Fayetteville from Holly Springs. From my home in Sanford to Ft. Bragg is nearly 40 miles, so even doing "back roads" from Holly Springs it would have to be further. Hope it works out to be an OK drive for you both.

Old 12-23-2006, 07:44 PM

28 posts, read 104,401 times
Default understand commute to Bragg concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariGirl View Post
Hey, thanks for the compliment Movin2NC! Glad that you found a home and hope you will enjoy it.
I have to say though that I'm a bit concerned about the distance you've been told it is to Fayetteville from Holly Springs. From my home in Sanford to Ft. Bragg is nearly 40 miles, so even doing "back roads" from Holly Springs it would have to be further. Hope it works out to be an OK drive for you both.
I understand the concern about the commute... fortunately my fiance has agreed to commute from just about anywhere since I am the one relocating to an entirely different state! He was even willing to make the commute from Cary but at that point we might as well have lived in Raleigh itself!

Happy Holidays!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary