Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 01:50 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,991,194 times

Advertisements

Ikea drops Arizona store plans, too | Furniture Today

Nashville and Marietta among those under review. Basically seems like anything in the planning stages is ripe for axing. Norfolk was far enough along that they'll finish it.

Old 05-25-2018, 03:52 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,621,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OberlinSouth View Post
Reading that IKEA is scapping the Glendale, AZ store and reviewing 5 other site they have slated for development. From Furniture Today article.

Maybe it wasn't just Cary?
No, it wasn't about Ikea waking up one day and realizing that Cary was too beige. UK stores are also on the chopping block:

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog...re-north-west/

Old 05-25-2018, 04:43 PM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,780 times
Perhaps customers have seen through Ikea and now know the kind of junk they sell.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:11 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Perhaps you could take 30 seconds and look up IKEA same store sales trends. I have no idea personally, but I'm not assailing them.

Did IKEA used to make furniture - and sell in the US - that was extremely heavy, so that the leverage of a child using it as a climbing structure wouldn't tip it over? Or quit defying the laws of physics?

Old 05-25-2018, 08:48 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Perhaps you could take 30 seconds and look up IKEA same store sales trends. I have no idea personally, but I'm not assailing them.

Did IKEA used to make furniture - and sell in the US - that was extremely heavy, so that the leverage of a child using it as a climbing structure wouldn't tip it over? Or quit defying the laws of physics?
They were sued when a kid climbed a cabinet after pulling the drawers out had it tip over on them.

It was a ridiculous lawsuit IMO but that's the litigious society the US lives in. $50m settlement to three families.

I seriously wonder how any of us ever made it through childhood with the amount of stuff we did as kids. I remember lighting bottle rockets off in my hand and shooting them at each other one 4th of July! I think parents would get arrested if this was reported (and it would get parent shamed) nowadays.

Last edited by wheelsup; 05-25-2018 at 09:03 PM..

Old 05-26-2018, 04:14 AM

812 posts, read 832,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Ikea drops Arizona store plans, too | Furniture Today

Nashville and Marietta among those under review. Basically seems like anything in the planning stages is ripe for axing. Norfolk was far enough along that they'll finish it.
Amazon Effect. All hail Lord Bezos (face Seattle and genuflect)..... including those in Stockholm.

Old 05-26-2018, 03:24 PM

281 posts, read 187,700 times
the freedom to remake ALL of Cary Town Center and not have to build around Ikea is going to be good. I don't think a giant IKEA was a good fit with a mixed use building including 2 leftover mall department stores. Ikea wouldn't work in North Hills, what makes anyone think it would work doing that in Cary with an Ikea? Can you imagine the traffic of an Ikea in N Hills?

I'm disappointed we won't have the world's 7th largest retailer in our town but I think while this is one step backward, it's ultimately going to allow 2 steps forward. I don't own anything from Ikea and probably never will. But it was nice for there to be a plan for revitalizing the dying mall. They'll come up with something probably bigger & better with a blank slate now.

Old 05-27-2018, 12:27 PM

141 posts, read 163,233 times
I have my doubts they'll redevelop Cary Town Center honestly, at least in the near future. I went inside the mall the other day and although it's clean and well kept, about half of the stores are vacant, and there weren't many people there. The area near the old Sears and Macy's hardly has any stores left at all. Unfortunately, it's probably going to look end up like the old Morrisville Outlet Mall someday (it'll be dead). I feel like the only good option is to pull a North Hills and tear down the mall completely and replace it with something else.

Old 05-27-2018, 01:23 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,991,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingocat1000 View Post
I feel like the only good option is to pull a North Hills and tear down the mall completely and replace it with something else.
That’s exactly what they’ve filed plans with the town to do...with the exception of Belk and Dillard’s that would stay and be integrated. Plans will probably need to be reworked a bit now that IKEA’s out of the picture though.

Old 05-27-2018, 01:56 PM

6,656 posts, read 5,592,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
That’s exactly what they’ve filed plans with the town to do...with the exception of Belk and Dillard’s that would stay and be integrated. Plans will probably need to be reworked a bit now that IKEA’s out of the picture though.
Maybe they should just sell to Kane and let him deal with it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary