Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2018, 12:05 PM

3 posts, read 2,090 times

Advertisements

I will post my question first...Are there any over-all/big-picture differences between Immaculata School in Durham and Mary Magdelene Catholic School in Apex? I guess I am thinking as far as the general feel or "vibe" of the school community, how involved parents are, extracurricular for kids, diversity. To me they both look like lovely schools but sometimes there might be slight variations in strengths/weaknesses that someone from the outside wouldn't be able to see. We are not catholic, so although I love the idea of spirituality/religion interwoven with school and character building, I do not have a connection to a particular Catholic church.

We live pretty much equal distance from both of them, so commute can't make our decision for us

Thanks for any input or feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 12:45 PM

286 posts, read 685,618 times
I would suggest that you schedule a tour with both facilities. I would also suggest that you check on availability of space for your child/children. I know that Immaculata tends to have wait lists and can be hard to get into, especially if you wait until the child/children are past kindergarten age. You may end up applying to both schools and going with the one who accepts your child/children.

Old 06-11-2018, 03:06 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
I know someone who started at Immaculate in middle school, loves it, no issues.

I know someone who moved into Mary Magdalene in late elementary school with two kids, (having come from a Catholic school) hated it, said the parents were not just unfriendly but downright mean. This is not a shy woman who told me this LOL. She ended up pulling them for public school.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:28 PM

139 posts, read 109,048 times
Have heard good things about Immaculata and its community (Im a Durhamite)—nothing about Mary Magdalene.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:06 AM

430 posts, read 626,909 times
My exposure to Mary Magdalene is twofold. First Apex doesn't have baseball for kids younger than 9 and Mary Magdalene fills that gap. My son played in their T-Ball and baseball leagues until he moved up to West Raleigh. The leagues were well run for what they were and everyone from the school was helpful and friendly.

We know three families who send their kids to MM* and they really like the school and their kids who play with my kids and whom I've coached are smart and polite. We've never even sending our kids there because, among other things, we like the public schools in the area but their parents and students reflect well on them.

(* They are also wonderful, friendly people. I find it rather insulting that twingles would pass along hearsay that "the parents" at MM are unfriendly and mean. Why would you think it's appropriate to slur the character of thousands of parents with such a broad brush? You should be ashamed of yourself.)

Old 06-13-2018, 10:36 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel_Dent View Post
(* They are also wonderful, friendly people. I find it rather insulting that twingles would pass along hearsay that "the parents" at MM are unfriendly and mean. Why would you think it's appropriate to slur the character of thousands of parents with such a broad brush? You should be ashamed of yourself.)
Don't kill the messenger. This is someone who pulled her kids from the school - after moving here from another NC city - and put them in public school. If you think someone changes their kids' school TWICE in a year and does it lightly you are mistaken. Those were her words - not just unfriendly, downright mean. I have no reason or interest in making things up. It is not "slurring the character of thousands of people" which is a bit dramatic. The OP is, I presume, a grown up and can filter the info given as s/he sees fit (after asking a near impossible question, as there's a near zero chance of one family having experience at both schools).

I find your statement equally ridiculous. The OP asked for information and she got it. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it irrelevant. I am not ashamed of myself. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary