Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 02:21 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,681,344 times

Advertisements

We just spent a week exploring Raleigh for a potential job transfer from Dallas...

Why are so many people from the Northeast in particular gravitating toward Raleigh?Why not Virginia or Georgia?Long story short,we had originally considered a move to Raleigh years ago when cost of living and house prices in Wake County were significantly less.If cost of living and home values keep increasing,how worth it will it be for all of these people who relocated for coat of living reasons?I think the Triangle has so many great things to offer.I also think a lot of those things can be found in other places that are not as “hyped”.I totally get wanting to move out of states like NY and NJ,but why not look to other metros nearby that are less expensive?Examples...Colombus,Atlanta,Richmond,Ind ianapolis,Virginia Beach etc.I bring this up after realizing just how many people from that area more than anywhere else have relocated to the Raleigh metro.

Also,we have some reservations with the way Wake County assigns schools..We have been going back and forth trying to justify spending around $450,000 to be in a neighborhood with schools that we would not consider stellar.Do you suspect there is an end in sight to the issues with Wake County schools?Will there be movement to break the county up into a town boundary district?Will some of the re-zoning stop when more achools are built?Will property taxes continue to increase to deal with the school issue in Wake?

Last edited by CREW747; 06-17-2018 at 03:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2018, 02:30 PM

466 posts, read 701,110 times
I think people from the Northeast are basically gravitating anywhere south to be honest. I'm in NE Florida right now and when a new neighbor comes it's almost guaranteed that the vehicles will have either NJ or NY plates.

I'm from NC originally and am biased as I've wanted to be back in Raleigh ever since I left, so the decision to move was an easier one. The Wake County school system is definitely daunting to navigate. We are fortunate that we found a house that's not in a capped school zone and relatively new, so things are pretty straightforward and should hopefully be stable, but it's clear on the website there are tons of schools planned to be built over the next 10-15 years and each new school will change the landscape of the surrounding areas.

Good luck with the search and hope the decision is easy for you guys.

Old 06-17-2018, 02:38 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,276,961 times
Cost of living is still less than VA and GA. Traffic is far less. Less cold and snow than VA, less heat than GA.

If you want a place with "stellar schools", you're going to be paying 10-15k a year or more in taxes to live there. You could come to Raleigh and send your kids to private school, and spend 50-75% less on your house. That being said, there many many smart and well-educated people moving here every day. I think it's overcrowding of schools is a legit worry, but worrying about quality of schools is a little silly in my opinion.

If you're going to come and want/expect things like town-based school districts, then you're never going to be happy. And yes, property taxes will continue to increase. That happens everywhere, especially heavily-populated areas.

Old 06-17-2018, 02:44 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,385,922 times
I'm sure Atlanta and northern Va are seeing lots of in-migration from the northeast.

The answer to why Raleigh is getting a lot is multi-fold. NC has traditionally been seen as fairly progressive for a southern state. (That status is under assault currently) It has some of the best schools in NC. A fairly large contingent of northeasterners moved to the are in the 1980's, so I'm sure that gives their friends and family looking to move now a sense of good feeling about the area. The cost of living is very favorable compared to the northeast, and quality of life is fairly good. Its not too far away from "home", which facilitates trips back to see friend and family. And most of all, the area has created a lot of jobs, and many people from the northeast have been recruited to fill those jobs. Add all that up, and its an attractive place for people looking to escape the northeast

As far as the Wake County schools, I don't think you'll see it broken up into smaller districts. NC has only fairly recently completed the merger of smaller school systems into large, county level systems, so I can't see that being undone any time soon.

Old 06-17-2018, 03:27 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,681,344 times
Good insight.The majority of people we encountered in Raleigh over the week we were there were from NY or NJ.I do think that people who move from areas like that are genuinely willing to embrace a new place for an easier life.It will be intetesting to watch what direction New Jersey heads in as time goes on,there seems to be some serious issues there.

Old 06-17-2018, 03:45 PM

76 posts, read 75,184 times
Northerners have coming here in large numbers since the 1960's. North Hills back then was full of them and it was built beginning in around 1961. Springdale Estates in the 1970's same thing.Yankees have been here since the first big IBM wave 50 plus years ago. Nothing new.

Old 06-17-2018, 04:01 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,979,189 times
Florida is basically ruined so they are invading each and every southern city with a slightly progressive vibe in Noeth Carolina they’ve infested Asheville Charlotte the triangle and now Wilmington

In south Carolina they’re in Charleston and Greenville

I wouldn’t move here unless it’s for great job unless you like NY NJ stereotypes

Admittedly most of them like most people are nice but boy the ones who stand out sure do stand out just today at the ball park a guy got in a yelling match with the parking attendent and just refused to move from the middle of the street in his car till a cop ran him off

Anyway we are growing and getting more services but rat race is picking up col going up don’t expect any locals in raleigh imagine like you’re moving to south Florida

Old 06-17-2018, 05:13 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,810,996 times
When I was just out of college, Atlanta was the hotspot to move. EVERYONE wanted to move to Atlanta.

NoVA? It's just as expensive and just as congested - probably moreso - than the northeast. I would love to live in the DC metro, but that would be going from the frying pan into the fire.

None of other areas you mention appeal. Indianapolis? Supposed to be a great city, not interested in the winters. VA Beach? Nah. Richmond? Nice area, DH went to college there, didn't care for it. You want a place where the confederacy is lingering along with hard feelings? Richmond's your city.

Raleigh and Charlotte offer a nice mix of good available jobs across several sectors and an educated populace along with better weather and cheaper taxes (way cheaper).

The schools being ripe for reassignment are a completely different issue than how good they are, not sure why you're conflating those two issues. We are very pleased with the education our kids are getting, the friends they are making, and would put any of them up against our original school district (considered one of the best in NY state) any day of the week.

No I don't think WCPSS is going to be broken up into smaller districts. There are rumblings afoot in areas with small school districts to consolidate to save money. Why would we want to go backwards? School assignments aren't perfect, that's life. Eventually it will all settle down. Likely not for a long time.

Your problem, OP, is that you think by moving you're entitled to have everything you want, a shiny brand new house at a great price with a wonderful commute and stellar schools. As with anywhere, something's gotta give. You could spend $250K and get into what are generally regarded as the best schools in WCPSS. For whatever reason that's not on your radar

Old 06-17-2018, 05:28 PM

805 posts, read 524,873 times
I got stuck on the 450k. Why would you spend so much to live in a neighborhood where the schools are bad? Many options for cheaper housing in neighborhoods with great schools.

The taxes here are relatively low, compared to the NE.

What exactly are you looking for?

Old 06-17-2018, 05:37 PM

1,737 posts, read 2,575,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Florida is basically ruined so they are invading each and every southern city with a slightly progressive vibe in Noeth Carolina they’ve infested Asheville Charlotte the triangle and now Wilmington
That's not true. Actually three times as many people are migrating to Florida than North Carolina.

The Migration of Millions: 2017 State Population Estimates | Newgeography.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary