Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 12:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,174 times

Advertisements

My husband I was work in the I.T. and graphic design fields respectively. Our career opportunities are limited in our small town, and we believe we could be happier in Raleigh. We often see postings for jobs in Raleigh that we are interested in, but we wonder what the competition is like.

What can you tell us about job opportunities in the Info/Tech and design fields? What is the competition like? Are salaries decent enough to live on and still save? Is the workplace culture friendly and relaxed? Would a small family be happy there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 03:24 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,275,617 times
I have no experience with graphic design but I've been in IT support for a long time and recently found a 2nd/3rd level position at NCSU. My manager told me 160 people applied and he interviewed about 30.

I applied to 55 jobs between late January and mid-April when I was offered my current position. I only got to the phone or in-person interview stage with 5 out of those 55. Although I do not have a college degree, I do have 15+ years experience. So I'd say there's a lot of competition in I.T. Support.

My husband is a web developer and although he kept his out-of-state job and isn't looking locally, he has gotten contacted by a few Raleigh and Durham companies through his LinkedIn profile. He also has 15+ years experience and varied skills that apparently are sought-after.

I'd say you should try to find positions before you move, or allow for a few months of searching. November through February were the slowest months for new job postings from what I noticed. March and April really picked up.

Workplace culture is going to vary widely on the type of company/institution, what they do. If you want a general idea of salaries, look at government jobs because they post the salary ranges.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:01 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,460,264 times
My wife just interviewed and hired someone with a graphic design background with no degree via Harte Hanks as a contractor. Generally her employer does that first then converts to full time employee in 6-12 months. I think it was mid 60's or 70's to start not great but not bad for a "millennial" with no degree.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:15 AM

379 posts, read 749,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful Designer View Post
My husband I was work in the I.T.
what specifically does he do? There are levels Does he do, say, tech support, or is he engineering enterprise storage solutions?

Quote:
and graphic design fields respectively. Our career opportunities are limited in our small town, and we believe we could be happier in Raleigh. We often see postings for jobs in Raleigh that we are interested in, but we wonder what the competition is like.

What can you tell us about job opportunities in the Info/Tech and design fields? What is the competition like?
A lot of competition, but at least there are jobs to be had. As someone who has done it and more than doubled by salary since moving here, I would recommend the move.

Quote:
Are salaries decent enough to live on and still save? Is the workplace culture friendly and relaxed? Would a small family be happy there?
Raleigh is a family's dream come true.
Salary depends on your job. You can make 100+ quite easily in tech here, if you are good.
Culture depends on the company and the manager. Where I work, Red Hat, you can always find people playing video games, enjoying the pool table, etc. Amazing socialization opportunities here.

Best wishes on your journey

Old 07-16-2018, 09:37 AM

845 posts, read 1,688,694 times
Quote:
My husband I was work in the I.T. and graphic design fields respectively. Our career opportunities are limited in our small town, and we believe we could be happier in Raleigh. We often see postings for jobs in Raleigh that we are interested in, but we wonder what the competition is like.

What can you tell us about job opportunities in the Info/Tech and design fields? What is the competition like? Are salaries decent enough to live on and still save? Is the workplace culture friendly and relaxed? Would a small family be happy there?
It's very relative to the demand for the particular job, and the availability of candidates. If you're relocating from somewhere distant... you might find that most employers here are not inclined to interview out of state candidates - possibly because they may not be inclined to assist with relocation costs.

We relocated here last October, and I was already employed by a NY state company with a tech job (I still work for them as a remote employee.) My wife was not able to transfer with her company, and opted to take a few months off to help us get settled in - before she started the job hunt. In late January, just as she was starting a serious search, her mom became ill and died unexpectedly. That threw a wrench in the works, but a month ago she began the search again in earnest.

Background: she is 43 years old, has a dual major BS in Journalism and Psychology, and has 20 years experience as a tech writer, including lengthy stints with Lockheed Martin, Carrier Transicold Corp, and more recently with Welch-Allyn - a leading medical device manufacturer. In 2011, she completed her MS in Technical Communications Management, and spent 2012-2016 as a Tech Com Manager, running a team of seven writers and illustrators. She knows and works with all the most modern writing management tools and collaborative platforms, etc.

Why does this matter? When she searched from Syracuse she had zero responses to about thirty inquiries. Since being in Raleigh, she has applied for at least 100 jobs, as well as getting dozens of calls from recruiters. Thus far she has had four phone interviews - none of which resulted in being called in for an in-person interview. I've listened in on two of those phone interviews - she is very strong on the phone.

This raises the question: why is she not getting more traction? I think the answer is mostly about money. She was earning $100K+ with bonuses in her last job. That was a management position, but at present she prefers to just work as a lead or senior tech writer, until the dust settles again (we just moved again - this time from our apartment to a house were bought here in Raleigh.) She is not holding out for six figures, but repeatedly is getting offers for jobs that require her level of experience and expertise, but are at annual salaries around $40K to $45K. Where we are from, that is the pay scale for a junior writer with just a few years of experience. If she got an offer of $60K to $70K for a senior tech writer position, she would take it in a heartbeat.

Is NC really THAT different? Are our expectations unrealistic?

Old 07-16-2018, 10:14 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,166,086 times
If your husband has a good background and experience in graphic design, I would say that he should have no problem finding work as a freelancer. I've been in a position to hire graphic designers multiple times for my marketing efforts, and everyone that I looked at in the area has been super busy with work and charge the type of rates that you typically see in larger, more established markets.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:26 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,979,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaelon56 View Post
It's very relative to the demand for the particular job, and the availability of candidates. If you're relocating from somewhere distant... you might find that most employers here are not inclined to interview out of state candidates - possibly because they may not be inclined to assist with relocation costs.

We relocated here last October, and I was already employed by a NY state company with a tech job (I still work for them as a remote employee.) My wife was not able to transfer with her company, and opted to take a few months off to help us get settled in - before she started the job hunt. In late January, just as she was starting a serious search, her mom became ill and died unexpectedly. That threw a wrench in the works, but a month ago she began the search again in earnest.

Background: she is 43 years old, has a dual major BS in Journalism and Psychology, and has 20 years experience as a tech writer, including lengthy stints with Lockheed Martin, Carrier Transicold Corp, and more recently with Welch-Allyn - a leading medical device manufacturer. In 2011, she completed her MS in Technical Communications Management, and spent 2012-2016 as a Tech Com Manager, running a team of seven writers and illustrators. She knows and works with all the most modern writing management tools and collaborative platforms, etc.

Why does this matter? When she searched from Syracuse she had zero responses to about thirty inquiries. Since being in Raleigh, she has applied for at least 100 jobs, as well as getting dozens of calls from recruiters. Thus far she has had four phone interviews - none of which resulted in being called in for an in-person interview. I've listened in on two of those phone interviews - she is very strong on the phone.

This raises the question: why is she not getting more traction? I think the answer is mostly about money. She was earning $100K+ with bonuses in her last job. That was a management position, but at present she prefers to just work as a lead or senior tech writer, until the dust settles again (we just moved again - this time from our apartment to a house were bought here in Raleigh.) She is not holding out for six figures, but repeatedly is getting offers for jobs that require her level of experience and expertise, but are at annual salaries around $40K to $45K. Where we are from, that is the pay scale for a junior writer with just a few years of experience. If she got an offer of $60K to $70K for a senior tech writer position, she would take it in a heartbeat.

Is NC really THAT different? Are our expectations unrealistic?
yes and yes

the market is awash in talent from colleges, transplants, and h1b.

Old 07-18-2018, 10:03 AM

845 posts, read 1,688,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
yes and yes

the market is awash in talent from colleges, transplants, and h1b.
Yes and no. A recruiter just contacted her again about a 6 to 12 month contract job that is for state government. The job has been open at $35 per hour for over six months, yet it remains unfilled. That's because they aren't willing to pay enough, yet they won't compromise on the candidate requirements. She's overqualified for the position, but if they bump it up by $5 or $10 per hour she'll probably take it - just for the sake of getting back to work.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:38 AM

I would think it's better to take a higher position from a position of employment than unemployment. But also the trend of people sitting on positions waiting for fairy tale candidates are very real. Also 3rd party recruiters will cold recruit for positions they wouldn't negotiate down their client.

Also 35$ an hour is like 72k a year it's a little discombobulating someone would turn that down and remain unemployed but *shrug* I assume you're declining due to no benefits

Old 07-18-2018, 11:40 AM

I consider tech writer *something* of a dinosaur position in IT not aligned to modern practices so I think if your partner had a secure position this is a risk that should of been understood before doing the move. I work for a large company here 3k employees and we don't have tech writers. We DO have a communications department. But our IT department DOES NOT have tech writers

I'm not trying to give you a hard time but other factors such as endemic age discrimination (though your wife isn't that old) but also something like a senior position would typically be filled by a promotion in the shop I don't see why your wife doesn't take a job.

45k is way more money than 0 professionals aren't going to begrudge someone leaving for more money later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary