Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 08:00 AM

586 posts, read 1,547,288 times

Advertisements

Your recommendations would be appreciated. The trip will be next summer. It is a bit overwhelming trying to plan with online sites. TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 09:37 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Actually, I'd suggest finding an ONLINE travel agent who specializes in Eastern Europe. It's not like you have to sit in their office face to face or anything.

We did this for trips for Capetown and Costa Rica. VERY successfully. All done with email and, in the case of CR, a phone call or two. Plan on doing your own airline reservations.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:13 AM

644 posts, read 842,610 times
Just a suggestion - why not take a trip through a company like Gate 1 where the entire team is planned out for you?

Old 07-24-2018, 08:06 PM

Thanks for your suggestions. I was hoping to find a company that could manage the flight, hotel and visas. I will check airfares online too. Has anyone flown Aeroflot? They have good fares and direct flights to the Czech Republic and St. Petersburg from Washington DC. I have never heard of Gate 1 but will search for them now. Please keep the suggestions coming!

Old 07-25-2018, 05:37 AM

520 posts, read 1,016,770 times
Are you a AAA member? If so they have a travel agency & it is a benefit of your membership.

We used them for our Iceland trip last year & they were great! Help with flights, hotels, the tour, money exchange, etc. They even have packing seminars

Old 07-25-2018, 06:34 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphorista View Post
Thanks for your suggestions. I was hoping to find a company that could manage the flight, hotel and visas. I will check airfares online too. Has anyone flown Aeroflot? They have good fares and direct flights to the Czech Republic and St. Petersburg from Washington DC. I have never heard of Gate 1 but will search for them now. Please keep the suggestions coming!
Aeroflot? Are you serious?

Old 07-25-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Aeroflot? Are you serious?
I'm pretty sure you're in the airline industry (a pilot?) So I hesitate differing with your opinion.

I flew Aeroflot nearly 30 years ago. Worst flight ever, except for several Air China (not China Air - different companies) flights within the country 30 years ago (the overseas Air China flights were fine).

Ironically, I was just reading about Aeroflot a couple of days ago. They've changed dramatically, it seems.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/n...st-in-the-sky/

https://www.airlineratings.com/safety-rating-tool/

https://skytraxratings.com/airlines/aeroflot-rating

#12 The 30 Best International Airlines to Travel in 2018 | Money

Old 07-25-2018, 08:01 AM

650 posts, read 930,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimaCheryl View Post
Are you a AAA member? If so they have a travel agency & it is a benefit of your membership.

We used them for our Iceland trip last year & they were great! Help with flights, hotels, the tour, money exchange, etc. They even have packing seminars
We just used our AAA office for a first time cruse out of Miami. They were also invaluable during a planned trip to the Grand Canyon in the past. They have saved us as much or more spent on a AAA membership. We use the office off of Apex Peakway on the right before hwy 55.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:07 AM

I totally forgot about AAA! Thanks for the reminder and the relevant information about Aeroflot. If you have any recommendations for a travel insurance company that allows "cancel for any reason" trip insurance, please share as well. Our trip is a year away and I worry about the political tension/unrest that could spring up in that part of the world. We plan to fly to Prague then to Moscow, take high speed train to St. Petersburg then return home.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:28 AM

Re: travel insurance. Insuremytrip.com I've bought (and had to use) insurance purchased on that site many times.

A few things about travel insurance.

1. Most have to be purchased within 10 days of initial trip deposit to avoid any preexisting conditions exclusions.I

2. Cancel for any reason insurance is NOT offered by many policies. And It is expensive! The above site allows you to search for that specific coverage.

3. The REAL reason to purchase travel insurance is to cover medical and evacuation expenses. Nearly all health insurance policies cover nothing outside of the U.S. No medical coverage can be catastrophic.

My opinion only: If you can't handle the financial risk of losing your deposits, non refundable plane tickets, etc, you can't afford the trip. Same goes for trip delay, lost luggage and accidental death coverage. Medical expenses are the BIG RISK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary