Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2018, 10:29 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,245,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Um - yes law enforcement should have enforced the law.
Pretty sure they were... it started out as a protest and they kept the crowd safe.

Protests are legal.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:31 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,209,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellorebecca View Post
I understood you perfectly.
And yet, my example was poorly chosen, you’re correct.
Here are some better ones for you.

Attachment 201335

Attachment 201336
You've done it again. Are we fighting for the right to vandalize property? Rosa Parks and the Woolworth counter students were practicing civil disobedience--doing something they should have been able to do anyway and without threat or violence or property damage.

You did the right thing the wrong way and that's what the legacy of this is going to be.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
I would says it cognitive dissonance at its finest liberals give Carrboro and out “because it can be about something else” when it’s named after the man but somehow a statue not of Carr but he said words around is proof of what it is and it needs to go
I don't live in Carrboro. I'm fine with the citizens choosing to rename it if it bothers them. A statue that stands in memorial is different than a name most people don't connect with the person when they hear it.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I think all those Confederacy UDC statues need to go. I have ancestors who fought on both sides in the Civil War. Branches of my family date back in NC to before there was a United States and I'm no fan of the Lost Cause.

I got no problem with a statue like the Unity Monument or others that commemorate all those who suffered during the war on all sides, South, North, African-Americans in bondage. I do have a problem with statues that only honor the brave white sons of the South.
I agree. And my family history re: the Civil War and the founding of the colonies is similar to your own.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:34 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,696,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
The reason it is gerrymandered is because democrats don't vote. Get it? If democrats vote, they can overcome the gerrymandering and they certainly can influence the republicans who are in office to come back to the middle.

The statue is on state property, so people in Chapel Hill have no more say than other North Carolinians. Not a local control issue. I think you may also be confusing states rights with local control. I'm not sure I agree that republicans are all about local control. North Carolina does not have a history of local control, under either party. Counties and cities are the creation of the legislature and are granted powers for the convenience of the legislature. If a legislature doesn't like what a city or county is doing, I wouldn't expect it to be tolerated by a legislature of either party.
You do understand that the entire goal of gerrymandering is to overcome a majority to allow the minority to win an election? So, it's not JUST that the democrats would have to vote, it's that they would have to vote in such overwhelming numbers as to defeat the gerrymandering.

And stop with the "whataboutism". Gerrymandering is wrong, no matter who is doing it. It wasn't reasonable then and it's not reasonable now.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:35 AM

875 posts, read 1,162,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Pretty sure they were... it started out as a protest and they kept the crowd safe.

Protests are legal.

Vandalism and destruction of property are not. But go ahead and support a lawless mob. This was planned from the beginning to evolve from a "protest" to vandalism. This was not a spontaneous action.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:36 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,268,228 times
Quote:
And, that means they should have shot the students with rubber bullets or tear gassed them?
Isn't that the risk you take when you break the law and don't comply? I guess I'm just insensitive.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:36 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,330,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
Rational people do but mobs aren't rational. The simple act of stating "I don't think the statue should be removed" brands you a racist forever and worthy of physical assault and death according to the mob. They aren't interested in "both sides", they are interested in destroying anything that conflicts with their worldview because of "the patriarchy" or some other social justice buzzword. They lack the ability to follow logic, everything is based on emotion and they can never be placated.
I don't know who all was down there last night. I wasn't there myself, but I do know people who were. One couple I know is in their 50s and active in their church — hardly what you might think of as being part of a "mob".

There isn't a "both sides" to Silent Sam. That's the whole problem. He was only about one side — the Confederacy. Ain't nobody out there protesting the same era Unity Monument which is about both sides.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:37 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,057,135 times
Quote:
So.... this makes it okay to leave the statue there because?

I'm not seeing your point here. I get that you think it should not have been taken down, and I tend to prefer that stuff is done legally, but the NCGA pretty much made that impossible with their excessive legislating.

What happened to Republicans wanting smaller government?
EDITED BY ME.

Didn't know the rules. My bad.

Last edited by GVoR; 08-21-2018 at 10:54 AM..

Old 08-21-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
Except the museum will face protest and vandalism too. The museum sponsors will face harassment and backlash so no one will support it finanically. It doesn't end at statues. Anything a progressive mob doesn't like must be destroyed, no exceptions.
And yet, we have a Holocaust museum in DC and it seems to be standing just fine.

People don't attack museums for displaying history in them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary