Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 11:47 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,809,218 times

Advertisements

Mr. Rabbitsong has recently been diagnosed with prostate cancer. I like the doctor who diagnosed him, but I thought I'd check here to see if anyone here had personal stories. Please feel free to DM me. Obviously, we're going through all kinds of emotions right now. If you recall, he was laid off in September. Because of my chronic illnesses, we purchased health insurance. (Who would have thought he'd be the first to meet the deductible!) The Monday prior to the diagnosis, he started a new job! We're hoping this will be one of the good stories you hear about. But it's hard not to think the worst.

By the way, if any of you feel led, please say a prayer or think good thoughts for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 03:47 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,423,346 times
Mrs Rabbitsong, I highly recommend your DH be seen in multidisciplinary prostate cancer clinic at Duke. It's held every Friday morning. He'll be seen by a urologist, medical oncologist as well as a radiation oncologist. They will discuss his case in detail and make recommendations for treatment based on HIS prostate cancer.

Prostate cancer is categorized into low risk, intermediate risk and high risk (based on PSA and Gleason scores). This translates to risk of recurrence in 10 years WITH treatment. Risk will determine treatment options. There is a push for "watchful waiting" (active surveillance) for those with low risk disease.

You will find that Duke pretty much follows recommendations from Johns Hopkins, which has probably the best urology/prostate cancer program in the U.S.. Alan Partin, MD is chair of Hopkins program and most urologists use "The Partin Table" as a guideline.

Hope this helps and I hope your hubby does well.

Old 06-01-2018, 04:25 AM

4,262 posts, read 4,713,041 times
I've gone through prostate cancer and I'm sorry to hear of Mr Rabbitsong's diagnosis. I welcome him to the brotherhood.

I agree with the comments by ljd1010 and will add that UNC-CH has an excellent multidisciplinary program as well (I was treated there). I did get a second opinion at Johns Hopkins, where I was given the same advice as from UNC-CH.

There are many possible courses of action. I encourage you to read the NCCN treatment guidelines (version 1.2018) which is another baseline. https://prostatecancerinfolink.net/2...ostate-cancer/

Old 06-01-2018, 06:37 AM

267 posts, read 598,674 times
Consider going up to Sloan Kettering in NYC. Its a drive I know but you could go see Manhattan while you are there.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:02 AM

881 posts, read 2,253,636 times
My father had prostate cancer and received excellent care at Duke.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:53 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,069,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAndyHolbrook View Post
Consider going up to Sloan Kettering in NYC. Its a drive I know but you could go see Manhattan while you are there.
While MSKCC is outstanding, Duke is also pretty incredible. My wife was seeing one of the foremost oncologists in the world at MSKCC and was actually referred by her to Duke and one of their groundbreaking clinical trials. It has saved her life, and is a big part of the reason we’re relocating to the Triangle.

OP—I will say a prayer for you and your husband! It sounds cliché, but STAY POSITIVE. 2 yrs ago my wife was diagnosed with Stage 4 colorectal cancer. We’re in our 30s with two young children and felt like our lives were over. Two years later, she’s doing so well and we’re getting ready to start the next chapter of our lives in the Triangle! The first weeks after finding out are the toughest, but we’re in a golden age of cancer research right now. Lean on each other, enjoy every sunrise and every sunset, and stay positive!

Old 06-01-2018, 11:35 AM

1,737 posts, read 2,573,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAndyHolbrook View Post
No need at all to go that far for excellent treatment.

Old 06-01-2018, 02:08 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,584,478 times
A family member received excellent care at duke for prostate cancer as well as a few others. I’d go there in a heartbeat. But I’m sure Unc would be amazing as well.

Old 06-01-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Mrs Rabbitsong, I highly recommend your DH be seen in multidisciplinary prostate cancer clinic at Duke. It's held every Friday morning. He'll be seen by a urologist, medical oncologist as well as a radiation oncologist. They will discuss his case in detail and make recommendations for treatment based on HIS prostate cancer.

Prostate cancer is categorized into low risk, intermediate risk and high risk (based on PSA and Gleason scores). This translates to risk of recurrence in 10 years WITH treatment. Risk will determine treatment options. There is a push for "watchful waiting" (active surveillance) for those with low risk disease.

You will find that Duke pretty much follows recommendations from Johns Hopkins, which has probably the best urology/prostate cancer program in the U.S.. Alan Partin, MD is chair of Hopkins program and most urologists use "The Partin Table" as a guideline.

Hope this helps and I hope your hubby does well.

Thank you. I do know that he's right around the edge of high risk. The doctor is being positive, so I'm trying to be. I'm in the Duke system (ortho, rheum, etc.) so I'll be checking in to that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 06-01-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
I've gone through prostate cancer and I'm sorry to hear of Mr Rabbitsong's diagnosis. I welcome him to the brotherhood.

I agree with the comments by ljd1010 and will add that UNC-CH has an excellent multidisciplinary program as well (I was treated there). I did get a second opinion at Johns Hopkins, where I was given the same advice as from UNC-CH.

There are many possible courses of action. I encourage you to read the NCCN treatment guidelines (version 1.2018) which is another baseline. https://prostatecancerinfolink.net/2...ostate-cancer/

Thank you wizard! Dealing with my own health battles and my elderly mother's, I've gotten used to reading! (A friend of mine once called me a professional patient!) I appreciate that link!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary