Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 11:25 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,828,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Harris Teeter and Publix both sell ready to eat meals. I'm pretty picky about meatloaf, and HT's is excellent.
I used to think the meals made in the HTs deli in were equal to restaurant food, and better portions.
Their turkey and herb-stuffing was superb, spaghetti and meatballs were yummy, and their Yankee pot roast was simply amazing (fall off the fork hunk of roast). But they outsourced them and they got smaller portions, much worse quality, and much more grease and gristle. They used to be in black trays with clear tops, and are now covered with an orange cardboard sleeve (to hide their shame).

But here's a shocker. Walmart has started making in-store deli take-home meals. I've had their excellent chicken enchiladas, meat loaf, and meat balls and post, and their beef pot roast was pretty good too. They even make them like HT use to, with a black tray and clear lid. Unfortunately they don't include veggies, so you have to do that yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 11:58 AM

1,056 posts, read 1,738,575 times
Yes to Donovan's Dish in Apex, the food is very good.

Old 01-16-2019, 12:02 PM

22,671 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
I used to think the meals made in the HTs deli in were equal to restaurant food, and better portions.
Their turkey and herb-stuffing was superb, spaghetti and meatballs were yummy, and their Yankee pot roast was simply amazing (fall off the fork hunk of roast). But they outsourced them and they got smaller portions, much worse quality, and much more grease and gristle. They used to be in black trays with clear tops, and are now covered with an orange cardboard sleeve (to hide their shame).

yeah I noticed the change, don't pick them up very often and don't like not seeing what's inside the package - thanks for the explanations.

Old 01-16-2019, 05:11 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,967,503 times
"But they outsourced them..."

that makes sense.
there are probably a few companies who do this
modern-day TV dinner for several stores.
yes. i am that old.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:43 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,544,554 times
Aldi: $4.49 4-meat, 4-cheese 12-inch non-frozen pizza. 15-17 min at 375 degrees.
On back wall in deli area, Apex store.

Old 01-17-2019, 05:31 AM

5,892 posts, read 6,958,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4GPB View Post
Aldi: $4.49 4-meat, 4-cheese 12-inch non-frozen pizza. 15-17 min at 375 degrees.
On back wall in deli area, Apex store.

The Costco frozen pepperoni pizzas (~$12 / 4-pack) are surprisingly good.

Old 01-17-2019, 05:54 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,931,523 times
Would love to find a good frozen meatloaf to bake. Not just one serving. Not swimming in gravy. No sides needed

Old 01-17-2019, 07:19 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TsarinaO View Post
We are moving down in a few months and I was wondering what would be the closest option in Apex area to the convenience of ready-to-cook foods I am spoiled with now with FreshDirect service in NY. The home delivery is obviously great, but really the biggest perk is that they make all sorts of ready to pop in oven foods like, fresh thin crust pizzas, vacuum sealed marinated pork loins in tons of flavors, parbaked chocolate croissants, etc. Not just reheated, you just handle the last mile of cooking, so it’s very fresh. I’ve grown very dependent

Any thoughts on where similar yummy fresh time saving foods might be available?

Thank you!
Costco has a lot of this kind of stuff, as do most of our grocers (in addition to all the other recs given).

In general, I think much of it is good. For instance, I totally get "vacuum sealed Pork Loins" or similar "Lamb Shanks", "pot roast", etc.

But for much of the other stuff, like meatloaf, ravioli lasagna, etc. Why buy it pre-prepped? That stuff can be thrown together in less time than it takes to preheat the oven, and made just as good, or better.

I know it does not answer the question (I tried to give helpful info above), but my last comment: I just don't get this trend.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:03 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,874,930 times
Just going to add on top of other people's suggestions clean eatz in cary

https://www.cleaneatz.com/meal-plans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary