Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2020, 03:02 PM

740 posts, read 472,187 times

Advertisements

sitting on a high up branch on my crepe myrtle.

I have never seen a live one before.

meant to type peregrine (typo in thread title)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2020, 03:05 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,235,771 times
Yup, I have seen several. They are gorgeous!

I held a baby peregrine falcon during a summer internship years ago (for tagging and treatment). Those talons, even on babies, are NO JOKE!!!

Old 10-02-2020, 03:28 PM

oh lucky you for holding one and seeing so many.

I was so excited to see it !! and shocked. I thought what the heck is that thing? I had to compare my photo shot until I could identify it on google.

It sat on the branch and let me walk toward it while it's head was turned but I could see it watching me out of the eye that faced me. It sat for about 2-3 minutes and then it swooped off so fast and I watched it glide away. Yes, gorgeous.

There is an barred owl that has moved into my neighborhood area a few months ago and late at night I can it's distinctive hooting. I have tried to imitate the call so that it would come to see if any competition (heard they are territorial) but so far no luck.

Another favorite sighting of mine was in Shenck forest years ago-- saw a red headed woodpecker!

Old 10-02-2020, 03:31 PM

852 posts, read 586,406 times
Good for you. They're not common in NC, but they are around. Nice sighting and thanks for the report.

Old 10-02-2020, 03:54 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,235,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herringbone View Post
oh lucky you for holding one and seeing so many.

I was so excited to see it !! and shocked. I thought what the heck is that thing? I had to compare my photo shot until I could identify it on google.

It sat on the branch and let me walk toward it while it's head was turned but I could see it watching me out of the eye that faced me. It sat for about 2-3 minutes and then it swooped off so fast and I watched it glide away. Yes, gorgeous.

There is an barred owl that has moved into my neighborhood area a few months ago and late at night I can it's distinctive hooting. I have tried to imitate the call so that it would come to see if any competition (heard they are territorial) but so far no luck.

Another favorite sighting of mine was in Shenck forest years ago-- saw a red headed woodpecker!
We have a red-headed woodpecker that likes our tree out back, so I've seen and heard him a few times. Then again, I did a whole report on the red cockaded woodpecker and spent hours upon hours in their confirmed range and never saw a one. Doh!!

And I have yet to see an owl live and in person outside of a zoo/animal sanctuary!!

Old 10-02-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
We have a red-headed woodpecker that likes our tree out back, so I've seen and heard him a few times. Then again, I did a whole report on the red cockaded woodpecker and spent hours upon hours in their confirmed range and never saw a one. Doh!!

And I have yet to see an owl live and in person outside of a zoo/animal sanctuary!!
I have never seen an owl in person either. But I can hear this one hooting 2-3 nights a week. I'm still hoping to catch a glimpse of it sometime. Here again, I had to go on google to listen to owls hooting until I found the right recording. So distinctive.

I wonder if that falcon is somewhat responsible for the sudden disappearance of all the squirrels that used to be all over my back yard, and now I hardly see a one. Probably not, but I do wonder what happened to all the squirrels...

Old 10-02-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgi Dad View Post
Good for you. They're not common in NC, but they are around. Nice sighting and thanks for the report.
Thanks, I was thrilled!

Old 10-02-2020, 05:19 PM

852 posts, read 586,406 times
Perhaps you could provide your location and the sighting to the NC Wildlife Resources Commission. I'm certain sightings are being tracked and recorded.

Old 10-02-2020, 05:40 PM

hope this pic doesn't look too bad.
Attached Thumbnails
cant believe i just saw what looked to be a pergrine falcon-img_0301-1-_edited.jpg  

Old 10-02-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgi Dad View Post
Perhaps you could provide your location and the sighting to the NC Wildlife Resources Commission. I'm certain sightings are being tracked and recorded.
sure. i'll look them up tomorrow and send them an email.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary