Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 10:49 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,597,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by naaduve View Post
Just 5 years in prison and $250K in fine for the scam of $25million ? Where is the discouragement for another person trying to do the same thing. As long as this how law works people will take undue advantage of it.
Yep, just a slap on the wrist. I noticed he also runs a scholarship program with tens of thousands in contributions. Makes me wonder how much is actually given out in scholarships?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 11:06 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,581,720 times
Do away with taxes except a 26.5% sales tax with an exception on essentials. Tear down the existing walls and let everyone come. Everyone will pay their "fair share".

Old 02-03-2019, 11:39 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,590,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Do away with taxes except a 26.5% sales tax with an exception on essentials. ...
This is a concise statement of the so-called Fair Tax.

All during my working years I did the responsible thing: saved and invested for my old age. Now I'm retired and my Nest Egg should be enough to live out my days in comfort (but not luxury).

Now (hypothetically) the Fair Tax is instituted. No more income tax, but that doesn't help me because I'm not earning a salary any more. However, all my Nest Egg savings were made with after-tax dollars ... but now they are before-tax dollars.

The Fair Tax isn't fair! It's a rotten deal for the Senior Citizen!

Old 02-03-2019, 11:45 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,384,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Do away with taxes except a 26.5% sales tax with an exception on essentials. Tear down the existing walls and let everyone come. Everyone will pay their "fair share".
Except that the level of "off the books" transaction the meteoric rise of a barter economy would doom that plan to failure.

Old 02-03-2019, 11:52 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpains29 View Post
This is the tip of the iceberg

The whole H1-B program is a sham

Employer (immigration) enforcement is more needed than "The Wall"

just a general opinion, or any data involved?

Are there more H1-B visas approved every year than what we suspect are the number of illegals - wherever they come from, and however they become illegal?

Old 02-03-2019, 01:56 PM

179 posts, read 151,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
just a general opinion, or any data involved?
https://www.motherjones.com/politics...-tech-workers/

Old 02-03-2019, 05:28 PM

4,557 posts, read 3,756,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skempter View Post
Everyone should research all links and news sites:
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/mother-jones/

Old 02-03-2019, 06:01 PM

179 posts, read 151,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Everyone should research all links and news sites:
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/mother-jones/
If you don't trust the site, just google "H1B Abuse" and pick the sites you do like. It's not a left vs right thing. If anything, large tech companies tend to be left-leaning and typically want to increase H1-B quotas so they can fill positions cheaper. Historically the right-leaning folks are more anti-H1B. But at the same time, a lot of left-leaning tech people have seen the direct impact of H1B abuse and this time around, more and more both parties are acknowledging it's a huge problem and not really a partisan issue, its just bad for America period.

Old 02-03-2019, 08:11 PM

66 posts, read 77,367 times
This thread is so full of misinformation and half truths that I feel compelled to write a response.

It is such a strange thing to see a group that one belongs to be vilified online, its made stranger by the fact that not one person I meet on a day to day basis has made me feel like I did not belong as a legal immigrant to the US, but not a day goes by that I don't read a criticism/vilification of the H1B visa program and holder

Usually do not post on this forum (though I've been here both on this forum and in the Triangle for almost a decade), and steer clear of immigration related threads/topics for fear of doxxing myself and also cause these issues are so so close and personal to my life (I am a dreaded H1B holder). But the mis-information from posters who I otherwise find myself agreeing with was just too much for me to read.

Firstly, is there H1B fraud/abuse, yes. Is it a problem that needs legislative attention to tighten the screws on abuse, absolutely. But there is also fraud in social security, medicare (or any private health insurance for that matter), that does not mean any those programs need to be completely scrapped.

Secondly I agree, this particular instance of abuse, is terrible and deserves harsh punishment.

The reality of the legal immigration system (of which H1B is a part) is so complex that it would be impossible for me to do justice to it completely, but I will try to address some of the most common myths that I see quoted here regularly (and elsewhere in public/online discourse).

1. There are (roughly) two types of companies that employ H1B holders, outsourcing "services" based companies and american "product based" ones. The salaries, work and even the kind of employee these two types of companies hire is worlds apart. The average american including those posting here can't (or refuse to) tell the difference. Here is 2018's Top H1B employers.. In the interest of full disclosure I work for one of the (non outsourcing) employers on that list.

2. The outsourcing companies that get vilified the most, perhaps rightly so, they usually do not file for green-cards/permanent-residency for their employees (or file them after many years) who are usually brought "on-site" directly from India (or other lower cost countries). These companies usually follow the law in letter (if not always in spirit), they oppose any immigration reform (the current slow/deadlocked legal immigration system works great for them and their business model). Their business revolves around lowering costs for the parent company (like Disney, or Bank of America) that hires them, providing those companies with a fluid and lower-cost work-force.

3. Despite all their problems, what most folks do not seem to understand is that if you eliminate these companies, it will not magically bring those jobs back to the USA. It will just make the pace of outsourcing faster, it will mean larger back-offices in India, China, Vietnam etc and every client meeting done over video-conferencing.

4. The product based american companies are looking to hire the best employees they can get their hands on (typically from top american universities), innovation and technical chops are integral to their business model.

5. They do not underpay H1B workers, and file for permanent residency for foreign workers immediately or within a year (and those benefits are part of the employment agreement).

6. It costs such a company more to have an immigrant worker than an american citizen (for example my employer spends roughly $10K/year on immigration lawyer costs on my behalf).

7. I have been on hiring committees for the last 5 years at my employer, the bar is SIGNIFICANTLY lower (as it should be) if you are an american citizen/resident who does not need immigration help. When hiring american citizens the requirement is just "can this person learn" . The bar for a visa holder is "has this person already learnt" (this is from my experiences at two different employers on that list)

8. Lastly, due to the unfair and arbitrary caps on employment based green cards. American immigrants born in India (~10-20 years) and China (~3-6 years) have incredibly long wait times for permanent residency, whereas those born in other counties get residency within a year roughly. Leaving us stuck in a perennial "H1B visa" state, instead of allowing us to transition smoothly into permanent residency.

I've been waiting for my residency petition to get approved for 6 years now, and will likely wait another 5 at a minimum. Whilst graduate school friends from Iran, Sri-Lanka, Saudi-Arabia, Lebanon and even China have become permanent residents in same time and are beginning the process to become full citizens.

9. The current administration has made the life of H1B visa holders (at both types of companies) miserable. It has become impossible to change jobs, or even continue to get one's visa approved. This actually has the potential of adversely affecting wages (as H1B holders decide not to risk changing jobs). It has led my employer to relocate all (~10) affected employees to the office of their choice (most have headed to Canada some to India/China). The end result of this is just a loss to the American economy and tax payer.

10. Go to any university and you will find professors from India and China, look at upper echelons of top tech companies ( Microsoft and Google for example) you are looking at folks who were once H1B holders. If you want to eliminate this program those are also the kind of people you are closing America's doors to.

If you want to admit it or not, legal immigration is one part of the secret sauce of America. The system needs improvement, perhaps a change to a more merit based system. I'm more than willing to acknowledge and discuss that, but this random vilification of the program and visa holders, that seems pointless and short sighted.

Last edited by ryeCatcher; 02-03-2019 at 08:32 PM..

Old 02-03-2019, 08:46 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
who is against legal immigration, please raise your hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary