Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 12:22 AM

2 posts, read 1,214 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

My husband and I want to open our own daycare center. I have a pretty strong background in education and he does in sports. We want to start an academy-type center with after school care focused on physical activities. We both plan on working there and being very involded. We live in Durham and would like to stay here or venture out to Wake forest, but it seems as though the market is saturated with daycares right now. Does anyone care to share their general location and whether or not they have trouble finding child care?
We aren't looking to join a franchise since we will be restricted by their rules.
We also have some money saved for this venture, but we will be looking to secure the rest of the necessary funds via a SBA loan. We are hoping to buy a piece of land and then build on it.
If not the areas I mentioned, any others come to mind that are in need of daycare centers? Or did we miss the optimum moment for this opportunity?
Any feedback is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 04:56 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,606,247 times
There used to be a daycare on Cary Parkway near Tryon that I took my son to back in 2008/2009, but for the life of me I can't remember the name. Google Maps is not showing it anymore, so perhaps it has closed. In any case, he loved the sports focus and I think it is a good idea.

Old 07-13-2019, 12:37 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
for a startup daycare, nevermind the requirements of equity, etc to qualify for an SBA loan, I would locate within very easy walking distance to an elementary school.

As far as I've heard, we're a long way from daycare supply saturation.

Old 07-13-2019, 02:51 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,186,089 times
We’re filled to the brim with half day church preschools, but need more full time programs to accommodate working parents, especially near the beltline.

Old 07-13-2019, 08:08 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,457,282 times
I would seriously consider an at home daycare/nanny service especially at first. There is probably a forum somewhere on opening a daycare and current/past owners thoughts and actual income year to year.

Old 07-13-2019, 08:17 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,130,553 times
I would focus on slightly later hours, such as 6:30 versus 6:00. There appears to be a demand but not much supply.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:21 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,342,277 times
what's the average income a daycare owner makes?

Old 07-14-2019, 06:37 AM

2 posts, read 1,214 times
Thank you for all the good feedback. We do plan on extended hours since, we noticed that most centers close at 6. Right now we are on the hunt for a good location. Or an existing center for sale. I've noticed a few for sale on daycare exchange amd reached out for more information, but so far no one has responded yet. We are not in a rush though because we want to do this right.
@wheelsup, we have considered a homecare option, but we are looking for a place that will employ us both. I will do a search for
Experiences of past owners.
Thanks all, so much.

Old 07-14-2019, 07:45 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,946,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
what's the average income a daycare owner makes?

Probably comes down to how tight of a ship they run. Most daycare workers are not paid high hourly rates (10-15 per hour) and an average daycare will have 80-100 kids at 1000-1400 per month. 2 employees for every 12 kids (less if you want to get 5 star ratios). Roughly 20 employees per 100 kids. 20 at 40 per week= 44kish per month. I'm sure you can whittle that down through creative scheduling.

So roughly 110k of monthly gross income. You have the facility, insurance, wages, taxes, and food to cover. No idea how much insurance is for a daycare, but I assume its a pretty astronomical number. Profit is certainly there for someone who can run the business the right way.

Old 07-14-2019, 08:27 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,276,961 times
Running a legit daycare (not one out of your house) seems like it would be daunting. The liability threat and dealing with parents would wear me down quick. Employee turnover is pretty high as well.

That being said, there's certainly demand around here. I know of a half-day daycare that just opened that was built from the ground up. If they can be profitable on half-day, I'm sure full-day would kill it. I personally would skip Durham - I think there would be more demand in Wake Forest, or Cary/Apex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary