Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 10:57 AM

52 posts, read 47,092 times

Advertisements

Went to the new Drive Shack this afternoon as they are currently doing a soft opening before tomorrow's grand opening.

I must say I am very impressed and in my opinion its nicer than Top Golf. I didn't try any of the food or go golfing yet, but did tour the building to see what they have to offer. There are two bars including a rooftop bar on the 3rd floor. Some arcade games and some shuffle boards. All of the golf bays look setup well and looked like they were running well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 12:54 PM

63 posts, read 60,729 times
I was there as well and very impressed. Played the St Andrews course, I really like the setup of the games. I also really liked the food, The Poke bowl was excellent and the service was top notch

Old 08-22-2019, 02:58 PM

4,557 posts, read 3,761,232 times
Had a friend also take a "tour" and they loved it. I think it will do very well in the area. Drive Shack said the majority of their customers are not really golfers. So what is the main point of going here with friends instead of a brewery/bar/restaurant? Have some swings while still able to drink, eat, etc?

If you go with a group of like 8 people, do you get to sit in a "pod" where you eat, etc and have some drive time?

Old 08-22-2019, 05:06 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,280,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Had a friend also take a "tour" and they loved it. I think it will do very well in the area. Drive Shack said the majority of their customers are not really golfers. So what is the main point of going here with friends instead of a brewery/bar/restaurant? Have some swings while still able to drink, eat, etc?

If you go with a group of like 8 people, do you get to sit in a "pod" where you eat, etc and have some drive time?
It's like Kings, Cinebowl, etc but for golf. Serious bowlers don't go to those places. It's a bar/restaurant with a high tech, expensive driving range for entertainment. The high tech aspect of it makes it more enjoyable for those who don't golf.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:42 PM

52 posts, read 47,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
It's like Kings, Cinebowl, etc but for golf. Serious bowlers don't go to those places. It's a bar/restaurant with a high tech, expensive driving range for entertainment. The high tech aspect of it makes it more enjoyable for those who don't golf.
I wouldn't say 'serious golfers' don't go here. I mean yeah tour pros or club pros don't go there to practice their driving or chipping, but its still a place where seasoned golfers can get a good amount of practice in while having some fun. The rep I talked to explained how some of the mini games are actually golf courses you can play and depending on how far and where you hit on the range determines where your next shot will be on the 'virtual' course.

I would for sure say though that its entertainment first, golf second as most users will use this as a place to just chill. There is enough bar/restaurant/arcade games to validate going there for a night out and never even swinging a club.

Old 08-23-2019, 06:03 AM

580 posts, read 712,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loko4Loco View Post
I wouldn't say 'serious golfers' don't go here. I mean yeah tour pros or club pros don't go there to practice their driving or chipping, but its still a place where seasoned golfers can get a good amount of practice in while having some fun. The rep I talked to explained how some of the mini games are actually golf courses you can play and depending on how far and where you hit on the range determines where your next shot will be on the 'virtual' course.

I would for sure say though that its entertainment first, golf second as most users will use this as a place to just chill. There is enough bar/restaurant/arcade games to validate going there for a night out and never even swinging a club.
Yes, my husband and son are "serious" golfers and they are looking forward to going there with their clubs and having fun with the games.
My husband also told me that he saw they have one of the brand new drivers that just came out to demo- so I am sure the place will be filled with guys who play a lot.

Old 08-23-2019, 07:54 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,275,862 times
We're going this weekend with my father who's been golfing 40 years and my husband who plays multiple times a week. They're pretty excited about it, and have never been to a place like this before. My husband said it's good when you don't necessarily want to commit the time to 9 or 18 holes, but want to work on your swing or just stay in practice.

I'm looking forward to the food.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:20 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,598,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
We're going this weekend with my father who's been golfing 40 years and my husband who plays multiple times a week. They're pretty excited about it, and have never been to a place like this before. My husband said it's good when you don't necessarily want to commit the time to 9 or 18 holes, but want to work on your swing or just stay in practice.

I'm looking forward to the food.
That is why my son visits Golf Galaxy so often. He frequents the store to work on his swing and hit with clubs he can only dream about.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:08 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,275,862 times
So we went on Sunday around lunchtime and my husband brought his clubs. The front desk told us 30 to 45 minute wait for a bay so my husband checked his clubs at the front desk and we went to the restaurant to eat. We had enough time to choose and order drinks only when I was texted that our bay was ready. For reference, there are 97 bays on three floors so there were hundreds of people there.

We took our drinks to the bay and ordered food there. Our server showed us how to add the players, agree to the rules, and start playing. The credit card machines at the bay kiosk didn't work, nor did the automated ball dispenser. We just paid the server directly and picked up the balls ourselves, no biggie.

Food was typical for bar food, not bad. We played a few holes of St. Andrews, then a 'monster' target practice. All it all it was a good time and it's a pretty cool looking place. They're open until 2am on Saturdays so obviously they want it to become a drinking and entertaining establishment. They had some air hockey, pinball and video games in a room too.

My husband's company has already scheduled a departmental outing there soon.

Looks like so far, the place is doing well with some opening hiccups.

Old 08-26-2019, 02:35 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,875,729 times
Went Saturday after the Caribbean Festival just to check the place out, it was packed!!!!!! but the good thing is they had free valet parking so I didn't have to fight over a parking spot. Ran into Brice Johnson from UNC and Nolan Smith from puke....I mean duke lol. He remembered playing with my cousin at a basketball pro am

Though the place has multiple bars and a restaurant area, sorta wish the arcade area was a tad bigger but understand that there probably wasn't space to put more, and I forgot which day but with a party of 6, it's only 6 bucks a hour so you definitely save money the larger the group, think it's about 30/hour if it's just you.
Also though it did agitate me when top golf had backed out, I will say that drive shack picked a very good location, very easy for people to get to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary