Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 07:13 PM

8 posts, read 5,931 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I'm looking for some help on where to relocate to with my family of 2 young boys (1yo and 5yo). We are moving from south florida and looking for a family friendly area with great schools as my eldest is currently in kindergarten. I will be working at Duke Raleigh Hospital starting mid November. From research I've done, Cary, Apex, morrisville, and holly springs seem to be great areas. We plan to rent the first year and then buy a SF home 4/2 under $350k. Any input would be greatly appreciated as I've only been to the area once. Crazy I know! Just trying to go with the flow to live our best life. On to a new adventure! Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 07:17 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,918,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by copekat410 View Post
Hi everyone,
I'm looking for some help on where to relocate to with my family of 2 young boys (1yo and 5yo). We are moving from south florida and looking for a family friendly area with great schools as my eldest is currently in kindergarten. I will be working at Duke Raleigh Hospital starting mid November. From research I've done, Cary, Apex, morrisville, and holly springs seem to be great areas. We plan to rent the first year and then buy a SF home 4/2 under $350k. Any input would be greatly appreciated as I've only been to the area once. Crazy I know! Just trying to go with the flow to live our best life. On to a new adventure! Thanks in advance

Hey this isn't related to your question but how did you land that job? I have been applying and have had 0 luck. Did you have a NC address on your resume? Did you have Linkedin connects? Please share.

Old 09-05-2019, 07:28 PM

Hi daboywonder
Luck!! I honestly think it's because of the field I'm in. There's a pretty high demand in what I do, mainly because it is growing. I have many years of experience in what I do and have worked at some pretty hard core hospitals down here. What kind of job are you applying for? Make sure your resume is up to date and really portrays your expertise in the field you're in.

Old 09-05-2019, 07:47 PM

1,228 posts, read 798,728 times
Congrats on the new job. Duke is a fantastic employer, and the culture at Duke Raleigh is exceptional. The entire Triangle area is great for families. There are going to be a multitude of factors going into finding a best place for you to live. Depending on your shifts/hours, commute will likely be one. There are some major changes coming for the route from the Cary/Apex area up to North Raleigh, with significant multi year construction planned (just to be aware). From commute alone, you may have a short term decision of North Raleigh/Wake Forest/Knightdale/ Garner vs Morrisville/Cary/Apex to make. I’ll ask other community members to weigh in on that dynamic, but also we are all probably interested in other dimensions as well beyond cost/budget and BR to best be able to help (I.e. how much yard, what sort of amenities, cultural resources, etc.).

Old 09-05-2019, 08:05 PM

Thank you raleighsentinel!
I truly did love the atmosphere at duke raleigh as soon as I walked in. From the front lobby to meeting the folks in the department. And my new manager, amazing!! Everyone was just so friendly and helpful. I will be working the day shift 4 days a week from 7-530 (prime time!.. I know). So traffic is definitely a consideration. We definitely would like a yard (I'll be happy with .25 acre) as we have 2 very active/exploratory boys and a yard is just not something you can get/ afford in south florida. Swimming availability is important to us as I have witnessed way to many drowning victims down here. But mostly, that community feel with parks, trails, and a grocery store near by (my 1 year old is already eating like a15 year old).

Old 09-05-2019, 09:06 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,359,991 times
If this is the Duke Raleigh Hospital off Wake Forest Rd in North Raleigh, then may want to look in North Raleigh or possibly portions of Wake Forest for a rental or purchase to keep the commute down. Finding new construction at your price point may be a challenge, but there are plenty of nice neighborhoods in that part of the Triangle.

Old 09-05-2019, 09:07 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,918,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by copekat410 View Post
Hi daboywonder
Luck!! I honestly think it's because of the field I'm in. There's a pretty high demand in what I do, mainly because it is growing. I have many years of experience in what I do and have worked at some pretty hard core hospitals down here. What kind of job are you applying for? Make sure your resume is up to date and really portrays your expertise in the field you're in.
Mainly jobs at life science/biotech posiitions. I have a degree in Health science and a certificate in health IT. I also have previous college credits used towards a biology degree. right now I do tech support mainly troubleshooting software. So my education is science and Healthcare. Yet my background is tech support. I've been looking at Duke and Wake Med as well to apply to.

Old 09-06-2019, 05:05 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
Mainly jobs at life science/biotech posiitions. I have a degree in Health science and a certificate in health IT. I also have previous college credits used towards a biology degree. right now I do tech support mainly troubleshooting software. So my education is science and Healthcare. Yet my background is tech support. I've been looking at Duke and Wake Med as well to apply to.
You may want to set up an N.C. address. I imagine your resume is going in the discard pile due to your location since you are competing against many qualified locals.

Old 09-06-2019, 05:08 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,186,337 times
I agree with North Raleigh, although if you’re set on new construction maybe look at Wendell Falls. It’s not too far from that part of Raleigh. If you’re okay with an older home, you could get something relatively close by if you stretch your budget to $400K and act quickly.

Old 09-07-2019, 05:13 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,428,752 times
Congrats on your new position! I retired from Duke Raleigh last August. It’s a great place to work (I was at the main campus for a couple of years before transferring to DRAH). I still have many friends there and continue to maintain contact.

I agree with looking in North Raleigh and also consider the Brier Creek area. Parts of Cary are also fine but Cary is large/spread out and you could be looking at a 40-45 min commute depending on where you are. Same for Apex and Holly Springs, any accident can make for a long commute. Wake Forest is also doable but Capital Blvd can be a nightmare.

If you have any questions about DRAH, feel free to DM me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary