Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2019, 08:50 AM

151 posts, read 195,387 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm a single 29 year old male. I have checked out some houses in Clevellend-Holloway and they seem really nice. Earlier, I was more interested in Trinity Park but unfortunately I can't find anything available (let alone in my price range).

My main concerns are:
- For it to be walkable to Downtown/Coffeeshops
- For it to have nice/welcoming neighbors that talk (something of a community and not just people who keep to themselves)
- For it to not be totally unsafe (I get any downtown area isn't gonna be a suburb. Hard to say how "safe" anything is but I don't want to hear gunshots)

Lastly, I'm not sure how annoying trains are over there but I guess that's a personal question.

Any help appreciated. Just want someone to shed more light on this neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2019, 10:02 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,982,249 times
You would 100% hear gunshots there

Old 12-20-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
You would 100% hear gunshots there
:/ That's concerning... I really didn't get that vibe from the neighborhood walking around. Seemed pretty chill.

Old 12-20-2019, 01:09 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,648,253 times
I wouldn't take that poster's statement at anywhere near face value.

Old 12-20-2019, 02:42 PM

1,323 posts, read 1,261,255 times
It wasn't this neighborhood, but a different older, in-town neighborhood when I visited someone and it's all street parking. Because of the age of the neighborhood, about next to no driveways/garages. I don't think there are alleyways, so parking right in front of your house could be an issue. Esp. if one of your neighbors is hosting a party.

I'm out in the suburbs of Durham and one day recently someone on Nextdoor posted about the loud train. The main responses was no new trains, just the leaves off the trees.

Old 12-20-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post
It wasn't this neighborhood, but a different older, in-town neighborhood when I visited someone and it's all street parking. Because of the age of the neighborhood, about next to no driveways/garages. I don't think there are alleyways, so parking right in front of your house could be an issue. Esp. if one of your neighbors is hosting a party.

I'm out in the suburbs of Durham and one day recently someone on Nextdoor posted about the loud train. The main responses was no new trains, just the leaves off the trees.

Houses here do have parking. A little congested maybe but the area is really cool. not sure I understood your train comment.

Where in Durham do you live? I'm not that fixated on downtown tbh. I mainly want a nice neighborhood where people talk, that's my biggest thing. I wanna know my neighbors.

Old 12-20-2019, 08:37 PM

1,323 posts, read 1,261,255 times
I thought somewhere you mentioned train noise. Not sure how I came up with it since I don't see it in your post now.

The suburbs are safe but you can't walk to anything downtown. Well, you can take the American Tobacco Trail downtown, but it's a few miles.

Old 12-25-2019, 02:33 PM

20 posts, read 21,321 times
I looked at Cleveland-Holloway as well, but noped out when I was driving around the neighborhood in the middle of the day and saw a drug deal go wrong, lots of yelling. I didn't wait to find out what happened but I wouldn't dismiss gunshots out of hand. And I used to live in Philadelphia and before that, in a sketchy neighborhood of Manhattan (you couldn't get cabs to go up there after dark), so I'm no pearl-clutching suburbanite.

Look at Trinity Heights or Walltown. Moderately walkable -- very easy to Ninth St, a bit farther to Downtown, but if you feel comfortable biking it's only a couple miles. Some houses back onto an alley or have a proper driveway for parking, but it's a bit hit-or-miss. I've lived in Walltown for 18 months and like it. My street's a mixture of renters (Duke grad students?) and long-term owners, pretty much friendly. You should be able to find something in your price range.

Old 12-27-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyberli View Post
I looked at Cleveland-Holloway as well, but noped out when I was driving around the neighborhood in the middle of the day and saw a drug deal go wrong, lots of yelling. I didn't wait to find out what happened but I wouldn't dismiss gunshots out of hand. And I used to live in Philadelphia and before that, in a sketchy neighborhood of Manhattan (you couldn't get cabs to go up there after dark), so I'm no pearl-clutching suburbanite.

Look at Trinity Heights or Walltown. Moderately walkable -- very easy to Ninth St, a bit farther to Downtown, but if you feel comfortable biking it's only a couple miles. Some houses back onto an alley or have a proper driveway for parking, but it's a bit hit-or-miss. I've lived in Walltown for 18 months and like it. My street's a mixture of renters (Duke grad students?) and long-term owners, pretty much friendly. You should be able to find something in your price range.

Thanks for the reply. Do you mind if I PM you? I wanna know when you last went through Cleveland holloway as I heard walltown also used to be unsafe but isnt anymore. Do you think it might be safer now ?

What would be a good price range for a 3b 2 bath in walltown? Or a 2 bed 1 bath? I really want to have an accessible backyard . One thing that attracts to Cleveland holloway is the big back yards most houses have.

Also how do you find your neighbors? Is it a community where people know each other?

Old 12-27-2019, 03:00 PM

6,385 posts, read 5,511,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese_cakes View Post
Thanks for the reply. Do you mind if I PM you? I wanna know when you last went through Cleveland holloway as I heard walltown also used to be unsafe but isnt anymore. Do you think it might be safer now ?

What would be a good price range for a 3b 2 bath in walltown? Or a 2 bed 1 bath? I really want to have an accessible backyard . One thing that attracts to Cleveland holloway is the big back yards most houses have.

Also how do you find your neighbors? Is it a community where people know each other?
You can get into a 3/2 in Walltown for around the $250s if you're ok with doing some updates and the high potential of street parking or a shared driveway. For something with a better parking situation and the renovations already done; you're looking at closer to $300k. In both of these scenarios you're looking at a pretty small 3/2. 1100 sqft or thereabouts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary