Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2020, 01:45 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,299,427 times

Advertisements

Sadly just learned that Halgo European Deli & Grocery in south Durham will be closing at the end of May. The owners, an elder Polish couple, are retiring. Polish food is so hard to find in the Triangle and NC for that matter! There's only one other store in the area over in Raleigh. Halgo is right in my neighborhood!

They would like to find a buyer or just get the word out that they're closing at the end of May so people can make their final purchases. If they don't find a buyer it'll be a huge loss to the community.

Their parking lot was always packed right before the major holidays with people buying fresh & smoked Polish sausage, pierogis, and other European goodies. They also make killer sandwiches with fresh Polish meats.

Next Friday will be the final day they have more fresh meats and breads, etc from their supplier in New Jersey.

Today I bought Polish butter, sour cream, & brown mustard, mini pork & veal sausage links, Kabanos (smoked Polish snack sausage), jams, Bigos homemade by the owner, and frozen pierogis from Chicago (sweet Farmer's cheese and also saurkraut, but they have many more flavors).

Please share and visit whether you've shopped there before or not.
Polish Deli Durham Raleigh Cary RTP

Polish Deli Durham Raleigh Cary RTP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2020, 01:50 PM

599 posts, read 334,832 times
Oh no! I like that place. I didn't know they were closing. Thank you for posting this here.

Old 04-23-2020, 02:20 PM

855 posts, read 594,840 times
I'm saddened when ANY establishment like this closes. I may not be a customer, but the idea that it's there and available is good. Hopefully someone will replace it with something similar.

Old 06-18-2020, 05:41 PM

39 posts, read 30,849 times
I shopped there! My fav was kishka (blood sausage and the German liver pate. I did find a few diff kishka in Golden Hex in Cary, although they did not have the same taste of liver patte that I got from Halgo (May be they do now). Somehow i had not seen a kishka in US with the taste similar to what we had in Ukraine. Or may be its just me who is so picky! I am saddened they left but i also know they were trying to leave for a while to retire and were looking for the right buyers to come.

Old 06-20-2020, 06:09 AM

564 posts, read 1,048,598 times
Oh no! I hadn't been there since Christmas and then came COVID so I didn't go for Easter. This is such sad news because it was a place I looked forward to for kielbasa, and the poppyseed and nut rolls. I'm Hungarian and looked forward to all these delights. Now there's nothing again then, oh how sad. There was never anything European around here and when Halgo's opened it made me happy.

Old 06-20-2020, 06:29 AM

19,461 posts, read 27,964,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamian in nc View Post
Oh no! I hadn't been there since Christmas and then came COVID so I didn't go for Easter. This is such sad news because it was a place I looked forward to for kielbasa, and the poppyseed and nut rolls. I'm Hungarian and looked forward to all these delights. Now there's nothing again then, oh how sad. There was never anything European around here and when Halgo's opened it made me happy.

Polenenz - Polish Market and European Grocery.

Old 06-20-2020, 06:32 AM

628 posts, read 402,638 times
European grocery - POLISH MARKET - Raleigh, North Carolina

https://www.facebook.com/NCPolishMarket/

Old 06-22-2020, 08:15 AM

1,204 posts, read 784,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin3904 View Post
Oh no! I like that place. I didn't know they were closing. Thank you for posting this here.
I read somewhere that they were planning to close anyway in the next couple of years, but Covid-19 really expedited the decision for them. The owners were apparently looking forward to retire. So well deserved. I hope they enjoy their retirement.

I am a bit surprised that they didn't just sell it to someone else though. I'm pretty sure a well established business could have decent number of loyal customers, and new owners could have capitalized on that. I am wondering if that didn't make sense during this pandemic.

Old 06-22-2020, 07:37 PM

104 posts, read 103,793 times
Spoke to the owners - they DID try to sell the place... even advertised in Polish newspapers up in Chicago, but there were no takers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary