Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 07:53 PM

396 posts, read 435,901 times

Advertisements

After years of research and several visits, we have decided to pull the trigger and make the move to the area. It is sort of a strange time of year to move with a middle schooler and a high schooler, but in contract on our home, set to close in November and if we are gonna do this, now is the time. I would like to come down in a couple of weeks to look at properties, so if anyone has recommendations for realtors, please DM me! Would greatly appreciate it. I have driven through several areas/towns (Cary, Holly Springs, Apex) during visits. Definitely drawn to Cary's well-established neighborhoods. So, my question....if you were moving (budget of 550k) with a highschooler, where would you move and which high school would you hope for your kid to attend? I have sort of asked this in an earlier post, but here goes it again Thanks, everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2020, 07:59 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,460,264 times
With a HS kid (and no more) I would carefully consider empty nest type homes especially if planning to stay in the house a long time.

ie look for quality over quantity (sq ft and # of rooms).

Old 09-16-2020, 08:02 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,278,777 times
It it were me, I'd go to Lochmere in Cary and send the kids to private high school if it were in budget.

Do you care about new versus resale?

Old 09-16-2020, 08:08 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,359,291 times
I'm partial to North Raleigh. Buy in Stonehenge, Stonebridge, West Lake, or a myriad of other neighborhoods. Enjoy the 1/3 to 1/2 acre wooded lots. Take the money you save on purchasing and upgrade the home. Your kids will have great schools, you'll have a great house in a great location. Everyone will be happy. Much better than cluster homes in clear-cut neighborhoods that seem to be all the rage.

Old 09-16-2020, 08:22 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
It it were me, I'd go to Lochmere in Cary and send the kids to private high school if it were in budget.

Good luck getting into private schools now. Wait lists are a mile long. They all have carefully crafted social distance in school plans in place too. No way do they upset that apple cart.

I'd live where you want to live and not worry about the schools. They are all virtual right now anyway. Good luck. What a crazy time to move but I kinda get it also. However nothing has changed since your last thread in May. What do your kids think of this move?

Last edited by twingles; 09-16-2020 at 08:35 PM..

Old 09-16-2020, 08:23 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,278,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Good luck getting into private schools now. Wait lists are a mile long. They all have carefully crafted social distance in school plans in place too. No way do they upset that apple cart.

I'd live where you want to live and not worry about the schools. They are all virtual right now anyway. Good luck. What a crazy time to move but I kinda get it also.
Good point I didn't think of that.

Old 09-16-2020, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
With a HS kid (and no more) I would carefully consider empty nest type homes especially if planning to stay in the house a long time.

ie look for quality over quantity (sq ft and # of rooms).

Agree, not looking for massive, just above 2k sq feet.

Old 09-16-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post

Don't want new. I like older, more established neighborhoods with trees!

Old 09-16-2020, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
I'm partial to North Raleigh. Buy in Stonehenge, Stonebridge, West Lake, or a myriad of other neighborhoods. Enjoy the 1/3 to 1/2 acre wooded lots. Take the money you save on purchasing and upgrade the home. Your kids will have great schools, you'll have a great house in a great location. Everyone will be happy. Much better than cluster homes in clear-cut neighborhoods that seem to be all the rage.
Will def check out these neighborhoods! Yes, would prefer the 1/3 to 1/2 acre. I am fine with renovating! Thx!

Old 09-16-2020, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post

I'd live where you want to live and not worry about the schools. They are all virtual right now anyway. Good luck. What a crazy time to move but I kinda get it also. However nothing has changed since your last thread in May. What do your kids think of this move?
Thanks! The house is sold and it is either now or never! Oldest is excited and is ready to go asap. Youngest is in 8th grade and is adamant about staying put.But, I think this move would be good for him. He will have to trust me Also, thinking that if 8th grade is virtual, not a bad time to move him and he could start high school in person (God willing) with everyone else. I was actually considering contacting some private schools for him...didnt realize there would be waiting lists. I want to make sure I am in a good high school for the youngest and would love to make it in time for him to apply for the charter schools. Not sure when those apps are done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary