Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 06:49 AM

3,308 posts, read 8,571,129 times

Advertisements

The thing about the airplane noice (and I live just south of 540 off Leesville Rd.) is that the areas with the worst airplane noise are great neighborhoods! Close to everything and very safe. It doesn't bother me at all as It only gets loud for me about twice a day. I love living where I do and the airplanes are not a factor is my happiness here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 07:29 AM

166 posts, read 139,432 times
When I was a child we lived a couple of miles from the end of the runway. There, the planes were low. I loved it as it was very interesting. I would not say I want to be at the end of a runway now, but I do not mind planes flying overhead at all, I just would not want to have them too low where they are too loud or actually shake the house. The more ammenities I might have around me would increase the amount of plane noise I would put up with.

By the way, I can hear the train toot it's horn from where I am now and I love that. My house back north was directly across the street from the tracks and I would sit on my front porch waiting for it to pass. I think it's a "bring you back to your childhood" type of thing.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:38 AM

9 posts, read 21,739 times
Another thing you have to remember when considering the plane noise, is that the majority of the air traffic going into and out of RDU is Regional Jets. These are usually much quieter than the larger aircraft. Also, those large aircraft will be landing and taking off in much more frequency during the day, when you'll usually be at work.

Another thing to consider if your planning on moving near the airport, is that the runways run north and south, so as long as you aren't directly north or south of the airport, the noise will be considerably less, as the planes will be higher and not quite in the approach configuration, so they'll have less power, thus quieter.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:33 PM

741 posts, read 3,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
The thing about the airplane noice (and I live just south of 540 off Leesville Rd.) is that the areas with the worst airplane noise are great neighborhoods! Close to everything and very safe. It doesn't bother me at all as It only gets loud for me about twice a day. I love living where I do and the airplanes are not a factor is my happiness here.
I'm in the same gerneral area and I hear those planes but not everyday. It seems its every 2 days, they must change flight patterns or something.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:14 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,275,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1NascarFan View Post
Vicki, I am sure the website can give some numbers, but I think something like this is very subjective depending on the person. To some people something is loud and not to another person. Some people like watching planes, others don't. I don't mind them myself, I just don't want the walls shaking.
Sorry but I think you misunderstood my point. My point is that if you think the area that you are considering has airplane noise and you are concerned about this, you can call the Noise Officer at RDU to find out when the planes take off or land. Then you can go out to the neighborhood to hear the noise at its worst, for yourself and make your own decision instead of relying on others since noise is very subjective.

Vicki

Old 05-04-2008, 06:44 AM

166 posts, read 139,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Sorry but I think you misunderstood my point. My point is that if you think the area that you are considering has airplane noise and you are concerned about this, you can call the Noise Officer at RDU to find out when the planes take off or land. Then you can go out to the neighborhood to hear the noise at its worst, for yourself and make your own decision instead of relying on others since noise is very subjective.

Vicki
Gotcha. Good information.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:24 PM

18 posts, read 43,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybywire View Post
Another thing you have to remember when considering the plane noise, is that the majority of the air traffic going into and out of RDU is Regional Jets. These are usually much quieter than the larger aircraft. Also, those large aircraft will be landing and taking off in much more frequency during the day, when you'll usually be at work.

Another thing to consider if your planning on moving near the airport, is that the runways run north and south, so as long as you aren't directly north or south of the airport, the noise will be considerably less, as the planes will be higher and not quite in the approach configuration, so they'll have less power, thus quieter.

Hope this helps.
Actually they run SW to NE (closer to E-W than N-S). 50 degrees (RWY 5L/5R) and 230 degrees (RWY 23L/23R) respectively. On an average day, RDU sees about 18 arrivals per hour (you can assume roughly the same number of takeoffs). Wind conditions will dictate whether the 5's or 23's are in use. RDU is big enough to be a STAR arrival/departure controlled airport... meaning their shouldn't be much deviation from arrival and departure paths. You can find a wealth of info on both the FAA's site and the RDU noise site (if that still exists).

Old 05-05-2008, 08:23 AM

9 posts, read 21,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdog007 View Post
Actually they run SW to NE (closer to E-W than N-S). 50 degrees (RWY 5L/5R) and 230 degrees (RWY 23L/23R) respectively. On an average day, RDU sees about 18 arrivals per hour (you can assume roughly the same number of takeoffs). Wind conditions will dictate whether the 5's or 23's are in use. RDU is big enough to be a STAR arrival/departure controlled airport... meaning their shouldn't be much deviation from arrival and departure paths. You can find a wealth of info on both the FAA's site and the RDU noise site (if that still exists).
Yes, you are correct. I was off in saying they are north and south, but I did find this the other day. It is the number for the Noise Officer at RDU. (919) 840-2100

This website has some good information if you are worried about any aircraft noise. RDU Aircraft Noise Program

Old 05-05-2008, 05:23 PM

18,191 posts, read 15,761,055 times
I live about 1 mi from Bond Park in Cary, close to the downtown area and I hear ZERO plane noise above. I do occasionally hear the train whistle blow but don't hear the train itself. I kinda feel like I live in Petticoat Junction! ;-) It's charming here.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:14 PM

21 posts, read 75,032 times
We are in Twin Lakes and right there with the planes, but I've said it before and I'll say it again - - the plane noise doesn't bother us and it's almost like having roosters, with some of the flights you can tell what time it is, without looking at your watch. Then again, once inside the house, you hear almost no street noise. I love the area and amenities and the location is perfect with my husband flying in/out of the airport every week. When the flight goes by--it's time to leave to pick him up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary