Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2006, 12:59 PM

41 posts, read 57,275 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if some of the long-time residents of Raleigh could suggest specific buildings and points of interest in general that are historically significant or otherwise unique to the Raleigh area. I am a bit of an amateur photographer and thought it would be fun to take on the task in the new year of traveling around Raleigh and taking photos of old churches, store fronts, old farm houses, and other areas that are unique to Raleigh/ Durham / and Chapel Hill. There appears to be a wealth of buildings downtown that I could start with, but I am trying to seek out more obscure places that a newbie like me may not be aware of. Even with all the new development going on around here I still see an old farm house on the corner of a busy intersection and can’t help but wonder who built it, and how it managed to stay standing after all these years. I know there are some specific places in Durham where “sit-ins” occurred back in the 50’s and 60’s as well as other culturally significant land marks. Are there any old cemeteries around here as well? Any input you folks could provide would be greatly appreciated. I am not doing this to sell photos or anything liek that. Just wanted to take on a Hobby that will help me learn more about this great area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2006, 01:21 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,407,422 times
I'm betting you've probably already heard of some of the more obvious stuff in central Raleigh. Capital Bldg, Governor's Mansion, the Oakwood, Cameron Park & Boylan Heights neighborhoods and also the Mordecai Plantation/Historic Park. Some of the downtown churches. There's also the old Briggs Hardware store on Fayetteville Street and the Joel Lane historic house on Hargett St at St. Marys. Powerhouse Square has old CP&L power plants that are now restaurants...that's kinda unique in a way.
A couple of obscure ones would be some plantation-looking houses on new Bern Ave between downtown and wakemed. The Oakview Historic park on Poole Road has an old plantation/farmers house on site too. Then there's also the remnants of the old Lassiter Mill Dam, on Lassiter Mill road.

Durham's got Duke chapel of course, and some other buildings on campus. The CCB (now sunstrust) tower is historically significant in that it was designed by same architect who did the Empire State bldg. I bet the Hayti Community Center can point you to places of the civil rights era, as well as the "Black Wall Street" locales of the 30s. The houses of Trinity Park and Morehead Hill neighborhoods are interesting too. Then there's always the Carolina Theatre too.

Old 12-28-2006, 01:56 PM

41 posts, read 57,275 times
Thanks for the input Rob, I will be sure to check out all of your suggestions. I appreciate it! I actually drove through the Boylan Heights area today on my lunch break and couldn’t believe how cool it was. The houses down there are absolutely fantastic. Some are in better shape than others, but I got the sense that a lot of people have put in a lot of work to renovate many of them. It was amazing to be standing on a corner and see a beautiful home with a wrap-around porch with an old dog sleeping on it all the while being able to see the Wachovia building in the Backdrop. What a great place that would be to live in. I only wish I could afford it! When was that area affordable anyway? A quick check online indicated to me that the homes in that area start in the mid 300’s and go up and up from there!?

Old 12-28-2006, 02:01 PM

823 posts, read 3,922,586 times
Just north of East Franklin St. in Chapel Hill are some lovely large old homes.

Old 12-28-2006, 02:02 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,037 times
I would also suggest wake forest, the homes on main street (historic residential street). Wake forest used to be home to wake forest university, but then it moved to winston salem and now the buildings house the southeastern baptist seminary. There are some great building around there, I would also recommend looking at the stone chapel which is on 1A in wake forest..........wonderful little building, it would look great in some pictures.

I lived in the triangle most of my life and never really came to wake forest, then we moved here and I love it!

Leigh

Old 12-28-2006, 02:21 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post
I would also suggest wake forest, the homes on main street (historic residential street). Wake forest used to be home to wake forest university, but then it moved to winston salem and now the buildings house the southeastern baptist seminary. There are some great building around there, I would also recommend looking at the stone chapel which is on 1A in wake forest..........wonderful little building, it would look great in some pictures.

I lived in the triangle most of my life and never really came to wake forest, then we moved here and I love it!

Leigh
I was just about to make those suggustions!! The downtown, such as it is, can have some interesting little things that may make good pictures. I've always wanted to get a look inside the Stone Chapel (Wake Forest's first Catholic church) but never have had the chance yet.

Old 12-29-2006, 10:23 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,015 times
Laurel Mill in northeastern Franklin County- An old grist mill that was included in the intro photo montage for the late Charles Kuralt's weekly show featured on the Travel Channel several years ago.

Carolina skydiving in Louisburg.

The large old homes dotting Main Street in Louisburg.

Downtown Raleigh from Lake Wheeler Rd. or from Broughton High School.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary