Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 04:11 PM

771 posts, read 626,714 times

Advertisements

What areas are in the Triangle's sphere of influence, or what areas in North Carolina (or Virginia) view the Triangle as the closest major metro and therefore use the metro for amenities (shopping, airport, etc.)? For example, do people in eastern North Carolina view Raleigh or Wilmington as their closest big city? I hope this question makes sense. I'm asking out of curiosity because I've always wondered how far the Triangle's influence extends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2020, 05:24 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,851,262 times
The Triangle is the major hub for roughly 40% of the state. From the Sandhills to the Albermarle Sound, including places like Wilmington, Fayetteville, Morehead City, Rocky Mount. The northeastern corner of the state is Virginia Beach. Greensboro probably extends to Mebane and maybe Siler City as a western border, with Charlotte I guess going as far as Rockingham. Obviously some places like Wilmington and Fayetteville have their own spheres, but when it comes to doctors and shopping and major events, the Triangle is the anchor for the area.

Old 12-01-2020, 06:01 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,419,665 times
It extends all the way to mexico city and beyond.

Old 12-01-2020, 06:04 PM

1,228 posts, read 797,833 times
DMA could be a useful benchmark to use:
https://thevab.com/storage/app/media...A_Map_2019.pdf

Here is a great academic article on commuting patterns. It could be a reasonable point to begin an influence mapping discussion:
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...l.pone.0166083

You can also use the Mayberry proxy—Whenever Barney had to go to the “Big City,” he was heading to Raleigh...

Old 12-01-2020, 07:29 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSentinel View Post
You can also use the Mayberry proxy—Whenever Barney had to go to the “Big City,” he was heading to Raleigh...
This is true, although unless it was to go ask the Legislature for more funding, in Mt. Airy, he'd probably be going to Winston-Salem as that's the "big city" hub for that area in real life.

I've always thought the Triangle's sphere extends further to the East than it does to the West. Going west it abuts the Triad, and while smaller than the Triangle, it's basically self-contained, except for some specific cultural events and a wider choice of flights out of RDU. And the Western fringes of the Triad (Davidson, Davie counties) are oriented more towards Charlotte if they're looking for something beyond what the Triad can offer. Another example is the local television news market extends far into Eastern NC, but basically stops west of Alamance (which is technically in the Triad) and Chatham counties.

But east of Raleigh, there aren't as many sizeable cities except Wilmington, Fayetteville, and Greenville and they're noticeably smaller, so for many people in much of Eastern NC, Raleigh is the primary "hub" city, and in my opinion serves as the gateway to Eastern NC.

Last edited by Jowel; 12-01-2020 at 07:49 PM..

Old 12-01-2020, 08:32 PM

405 posts, read 317,577 times
I don’t think that the Triangle’s “sphere of influence” extends much beyond Wake, Durham and Orange counties, since that’s the literal basis of definition. Johnston and Chatham counties have been pulled into its orbit, no question. Beyond that, you move into the eastern / northeastern / southeastern NC desert until you reach the coastal areas, with an occasional “inland oasis” such as Fayetteville or Greenville. Westward, you bump into the Triad on your way to the Charlotte metro.

Nationally and internationally, the Research Triangle Park (specifically) and the Triangle area (generally) enjoys a strong reputation but I wouldn’t consider that any sort of a “sphere of influence”.

Old 12-01-2020, 10:56 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post
What areas are in the Triangle's sphere of influence, or what areas in North Carolina (or Virginia) view the Triangle as the closest major metro and therefore use the metro for amenities (shopping, airport, etc.)? For example, do people in eastern North Carolina view Raleigh or Wilmington as their closest big city? I hope this question makes sense. I'm asking out of curiosity because I've always wondered how far the Triangle's influence extends.
Wilmington is not seen as a "big city" at all. Greenville has more influence over Eastern NC as a whole except the southern counties. But as far as things like media markets, newspaper readership etc (that's what I'd call 'sphere of influence') the Triangle would include down to Fayetteville and maybe towards Burlington, though they are right in between the Triangle and Triad, so might identify with either, up to Louisburg or so.

But, certain amenities have farther reach; if you want to see a Broadway show on tour and live in Greenville or Wilmington, you'd need to come to the Triangle. Being the state capital definitely gives a big punch; I imagine most areas in Eastern NC have school field trips to Raleigh for at least one grade, to visit the Capitol, legislature, state history museum etc.

For airports, actually Greensboro may be almost as big or sometimes moreso than RDU; I know people in Raleigh who routinely check the GSO flights because apparently they can be so much cheaper, even the cost of driving and parking there still comes out less.

Kind of an odd question...

Old 12-02-2020, 01:52 AM

773 posts, read 646,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Wilmington is not seen as a "big city" at all.
It is for the residents of Brunswick, Bladen, Pender, Onslow, etc. Counties.

Quote:
But, certain amenities have farther reach; if you want to see a Broadway show on tour and live in Greenville or Wilmington, you'd need to come to the Triangle.
Absolutely false. Wilmington hosted Broadway touring shows all the time pre-covid, and will again.

Quote:
For airports, actually Greensboro may be almost as big or sometimes moreso than RDU; I know people in Raleigh who routinely check the GSO flights because apparently they can be so much cheaper, even the cost of driving and parking there still comes out less.
GSO as big or bigger than RDU? Not as measured by number of flights or passengers. Lower fares on certain flights, sure.

Old 12-02-2020, 06:22 AM

5,343 posts, read 3,214,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post
I'm not trying to be difficult but I'm having trouble understanding the real world application of the question.

Shopping? Anyone can shop from anywhere online and outside of that I would argue that there's a big box store within driving distance of just about anywhere. For example let's say you live in Wallace NC (just a random small town with 3,880 residents I picked) and you were looking for a Target - your nearest one is Jacksonville. So all of the "big cities" have no influence here.

Airports? Well that's a captive audience. If you live in Greensboro and needed a non-stop to Boston, you're out of luck. You have no choice but to go to Raleigh. To the heart of your question I don't think that RDU influences anything at GSO (or vice-versa) because they serve two sets of people. When I see influence related to airports I think of my days back in New England where BOS, MHT, PVD (and PSM at the time) were all fighting for the Massachusetts customers.

I think, at one time, your question made sense. Prior to online shopping, online services, and the like where one was required to be in the big city - but I just don't see that being a necessity. Raleigh, for example, really has no draw. That is, I don't think people say "Let's take a 2hr drive to Raleigh just for the heck of it". Whereas if you're in another state with a cultural, financial, or other center you may go there "just because".

Old 12-02-2020, 06:43 AM

1,326 posts, read 724,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
I think, at one time, your question made sense. Prior to online shopping, online services, and the like where one was required to be in the big city - but I just don't see that being a necessity. Raleigh, for example, really has no draw. That is, I don't think people say "Let's take a 2hr drive to Raleigh just for the heck of it". Whereas if you're in another state with a cultural, financial, or other center you may go there "just because".
While you have a point about things changing somewhat due to the internet (although many in rural NC still don't have great connectivity), I'd disagree that Raleigh has no draw. It definitely does for many people living in rural NC, especially to the east. And I know for certain there are people who do make the drive basically "just for the heck of it" so they can spend the day doing some shopping, going to restaurants, and seeing some sights not to mention driving up for events and activities. Folks in the Triangle might take Raleigh for granted, and it may not be Boston or NYC, but compared to rural NC, Raleigh still is the "big city" for many. That said, I'm not sure about the whole sphere of influence part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary