Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 10:49 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Observer View Post
...sold the land to one of the most prominent urban infill developers in the USA...
See that's the thing—what they are building could be anywhere in the USA. There's nothing about it that says "Raleigh". When Jim Goodman developed the American Tobacco Campus he kept the Durham there. He's from here and he knows the history and what this area is all about. I think the American Tobacco Campus in Durham is an example of how to keep some of the character of the old buildings, but also make something exciting and new.

Just not a fan of those same old apartment buildings that are everywhere. The Seaboard project is not my cup of tea and I agree is just adding more soul-less vanilla and taking away more character from Raleigh. https://abc11.com/seaboard-station-d...rsity/9914401/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2021, 11:10 PM

1,326 posts, read 724,368 times
Quote:
Interesting. “They” was Peace College, AKA William Peace University, who sold the land to one of the most prominent urban infill developers in the USA. “They” are building a $ 300 million dollar development there, not a “tinder box” as some put it.
Whoever they are, the development plans for Seaboard are still unremarkable at best. What’s happened in the whole section of town is a real shame. One mediocre development after another laying waste to any last remaining character. I can barely tell where I am now when I’m over that way.

Old 02-18-2021, 11:18 PM

405 posts, read 317,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
Whoever they are, the development plans for Seaboard are still unremarkable at best. What’s happened in the whole section of town is a real shame. One mediocre development after another laying waste to any last remaining character. I can barely tell where I am now when I’m over that way.
That’s your opinion I suppose. My response is that if unless you have $ 300 million dollars to invest, you don’t have a seat at the table. This developer built an extraordinarily successful $ 2.5 billion development in Washington, DC.

Old 02-18-2021, 11:52 PM

Quote:
That’s your opinion I suppose. My response is that if unless you have $ 300 million dollars to invest, you don’t have a seat at the table. This developer built an extraordinarily successful $ 2.5 billion development in Washington, DC.
Well we’re all just offering our opinion here, including you. And it’s clear by the uninspired design that they know and/or care little about the area and that maximizing profits is the primary objective. Pitiful really since it’s possible to make money and create interesting designs. What’s going up in that area though is all ordinary and dull and doesn’t contribute to creating a vibrant interesting city. It’s not going to age well either.

Old 02-19-2021, 05:53 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,901,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
See that's the thing—what they are building could be anywhere in the USA. There's nothing about it that says "Raleigh". When Jim Goodman developed the American Tobacco Campus he kept the Durham there. He's from here and he knows the history and what this area is all about. I think the American Tobacco Campus in Durham is an example of how to keep some of the character of the old buildings, but also make something exciting and new.

Just not a fan of those same old apartment buildings that are everywhere. The Seaboard project is not my cup of tea and I agree is just adding more soul-less vanilla and taking away more character from Raleigh. https://abc11.com/seaboard-station-d...rsity/9914401/

Perhaps the influx of non-Raleigh residents — well, even more so non-North Carolina residents — landing high-level, policy influencing/making jobs here in Raleigh is contributing to the apparent lack of regard and preservation of the city's last shreds of character.

Old 02-19-2021, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Perhaps the influx of non-Raleigh residents — well, even more so non-North Carolina residents — landing high-level, policy influencing/making jobs here in Raleigh is contributing to the apparent lack of regard and preservation of the city's last shreds of character.
That lack of knowledge and connection to the area could be part of it, but there's plenty of blame to go around, and lots of self-serving opportunistic locals have contributed to the problem as well. But that's par for the course in some ways in Raleigh. The wealthy connected folks have a particular influence here. And areas that they once couldn't have cared less about suddenly became interesting when they could profit from them. Forget about anyone that was already there. NC Observer's comment was really spot on, "unless you have $ 300 million dollars to invest, you don’t have a seat at the table."

Old 02-19-2021, 07:34 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,901,446 times
Quote:
...NC Observer's comment was really spot on, "unless you have $ 300 million dollars to invest, you don’t have a seat at the table."

Sad ... but that's the way of the world. Even "smarty, arty, techie" Raleigh has a price.

Old 02-19-2021, 08:52 AM

1,204 posts, read 777,850 times
Quote:
That lack of knowledge and connection to the area could be part of it, but there's plenty of blame to go around, and lots of self-serving opportunistic locals have contributed to the problem as well. But that's par for the course in some ways in Raleigh. The wealthy connected folks have a particular influence here. And areas that they once couldn't have cared less about suddenly became interesting when they could profit from them. Forget about anyone that was already there. NC Observer's comment was really spot on, "unless you have $ 300 million dollars to invest, you don’t have a seat at the table."

Unfortunately that's the reality we live in. All these big developments are mostly just faceless REITs. They do not care where they are, Raleigh, Anchorage or Austin. They come in with certain ideas that are based on short term/long term value and ROI only. Everything is just numbers and algorithms. Is Durham ripe for a new development? How much money can they make by building 1 mixed use development with 20 retailers, 200-door apartment building, and 1 movie theater. That's pretty much it. They have stakeholders and those are the people who matter to them.

All those ugly apartments and the same looking mixed-use buildings are example of huge REITs/commercial developers. Currently their "darling" money-maker is "revitalizing" old warehouses. They are pretty much everywhere. You can find them in Durham, Austin, Charlotte, Denver and I was surprised to even find a super hopping one in old town Albuquerque. They are now so ubiquitous, it is getting boring. Malls are dead, all hail mixed-used developments.

What I really dislike about these developments isn't so much with their styles (although how long are they going to push the industrial style? why do we need barn doors everywhere? can we please stop already with fake aged wood planks?) but the idea that all these mixed-used areas assume that as humans all we want is to be entertained by drink alcohol and eating food. That's it. It's built around the idea of brewery, distillery, coffee-shop, trendy eatery.... there is nothing for soul. I rarely find stillness in these mixed-developments. There is no place to just walk around and enjoy the view or nature. That's why as citizens of our city/state, we should collectively support the development that our cities do, such as parks, green-ways, libraries, museums, etc. I think those are build by our tax money and they should have more lasting impact on our well-being. We literally have no say in what these ginormous REITs do or how they build things.

Old 02-19-2021, 09:23 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,897,804 times
I agree with NC Observer on this. I think Seaboard looks like a nice development and IMO is a couple of steps above the average bland apartment complex. This is going to have a ton of retail and even some underground parking. It isn't the coolest or most unique, but this is solid infill development that will add hundreds of new residents and lots of retail downtown. Was originally going to include a hotel as well, but I'm not sure if that is still happening with the pandemic.

Old 02-19-2021, 09:33 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,543,382 times
The job market is great!

https://www.careerarc.com/job-search...rt=most_recent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary