Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 05:37 PM

871 posts, read 3,018,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
Many shops no longer even check window tinting. And by the sheer high number of cars I see out and about every day with darker than legal tint, I'm not surprised. There are plenty of places that will not even check it.

Ironically, I have a car with a Check Engine Light on, and it's telling me an O2 sensor is bad. I've replaced it twice, once a little over a year ago, and again about a month ago, and will not replace it again. And now my inspection/tags are due. I'm in a pickle, because I refuse to spend another dime on this issue.

My check engine light haunted me for months and months on my 2002 Subaru Outback. It would stay on for weeks and then go out for a day or two. Now, I think I have fixed the problem, without purchasing an 02 sensor or the converter. Get yourself a small bottle of Lucas additive (usually up by the register at auto parts stores) or Wal-Mart and put that into a nearly empty tank, then fill it with premium gas. Blow it out on I-40. I did this 3 weeks ago and the light has stayed off completely. The engine purrs and my mileage is noticeably improved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 05:43 PM

167 posts, read 304,095 times
WE had a car that will not pass over 5 yr now We can not get the part/junked or new so it just sets, If I had emg,I woould take my chance and rive .But for now if you don't get it fix you will get a ticket, They told me at the DMV no wavier for it .Old a cars have to pass just as new one. As for doing away with insp. If you every lived in a state like Fla that ha not inspcetion you will see lot of unsafe junk on the road.Yes we even had to drive many at time that were un safe because could not afford to .But if you going to drive you need to go by the laws or parked it !!

Old 05-07-2013, 08:42 AM

224 posts, read 432,427 times
Quote:
Many shops no longer even check window tinting. And by the sheer high number of cars I see out and about every day with darker than legal tint, I'm not surprised. There are plenty of places that will not even check it.

Ironically, I have a car with a Check Engine Light on, and it's telling me an O2 sensor is bad. I've replaced it twice, once a little over a year ago, and again about a month ago, and will not replace it again. And now my inspection/tags are due. I'm in a pickle, because I refuse to spend another dime on this issue.
How many O2 sensors does your car have? Mine has 4. I replaced one when the engine light came on the first time, but that only lasted a short while since the other 3 sensors needed to be replaced too (engine light eventually came back on). After replacing all 4, my light has not come on for a long time.

We used to have a Honda Fit that we bought in GA, so it had darker tinting. First place we took it to, it failed inspection. Then we found another place where it passed. We were okay with that because they calibrated their machine thing and it passed, so can't argue with that.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:53 AM

224 posts, read 432,427 times
[quote=savingmore1;29450431]If you every lived in a state like Fla that ha not inspcetion you will see lot of unsafe junk on the road./QUOTE]

no inspections in FL?? scary!

Old 05-07-2013, 08:59 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,428,390 times
[quote=CAbornNClivin;29458295]
Quote:
Originally Posted by savingmore1 View Post
If you every lived in a state like Fla that ha not inspcetion you will see lot of unsafe junk on the road./QUOTE]

no inspections in FL?? scary!
Likewise in SC. Personally I'm happy as a clam that we have inspections in NC. I know once SC got rid of them the amount of unsafe clunkers running with one headlight, busted taillights, bald tires and belching out a plume of exhaust fumes skyrocketed.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:02 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,166,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAbornNClivin View Post
How many O2 sensors does your car have? Mine has 4. I replaced one when the engine light came on the first time, but that only lasted a short while since the other 3 sensors needed to be replaced too (engine light eventually came back on). After replacing all 4, my light has not come on for a long time.
I'm replacing the sensor that the OBD says is bad. This vehicle has at least 4 sensors. But the OBD says it's the same sensor. I won't replace the other 3. I'll trade the car first. I'm about fed up with messing with it, in case you haven't figured it out. I've bought my last Toyota. For years all I would buy/own was Toyotas, but O2 sensor issues with every one I've ever owned have soured me on the brand. I'm seriously considering buying an OLD car, and saying to hell with doing any more inspections. There's nothing wrong with the car....CELs are a gimmick!

Old 05-07-2013, 12:16 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,922,537 times
Quote:
I'm replacing the sensor that the OBD says is bad. This vehicle has at least 4 sensors. But the OBD says it's the same sensor. I won't replace the other 3. I'll trade the car first. I'm about fed up with messing with it, in case you haven't figured it out. I've bought my last Toyota. For years all I would buy/own was Toyotas, but O2 sensor issues with every one I've ever owned have soured me on the brand. I'm seriously considering buying an OLD car, and saying to hell with doing any more inspections. There's nothing wrong with the car....CELs are a gimmick!
Do you really think it'll be better w/another brand? They all have issues. O2 issues are about one of the simplest things to fix. Just replace them preemptively at 50-75k miles and be done with it. They are not that expensive and if that's the main issue with your cars, consider yourself lucky. I'd call that reliable. I don't think any car exists which has NO issues other than preventative maintenance required.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:37 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAbornNClivin View Post

We used to have a Honda Fit that we bought in GA, so it had darker tinting. First place we took it to, it failed inspection. Then we found another place where it passed. We were okay with that because they calibrated their machine thing and it passed, so can't argue with that.
I'm totally against cars being passed that have illegal tint. I've seen more than a few FL cars around here sporting limo tint.

I think NC's tint laws are a bit tight, but they made the laws. Might as well enforce'm.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:28 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,857 times
All of my vehicles have tint all around but it is legal. Those who have illegal tint get by simply by lowering the front windows and removing the power window fuse. The inspector can ask why the windows don't roll up and all that has to be stated is they stopped working. Front windows aren't required to pass inspection so the inspector moves on.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:42 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
All of my vehicles have tint all around but it is legal. Those who have illegal tint get by simply by lowering the front windows and removing the power window fuse. The inspector can ask why the windows don't roll up and all that has to be stated is they stopped working. Front windows aren't required to pass inspection so the inspector moves on.
Incorrect, a working drivers window is a required inspection item. All others can be broken.

The NC inspection page is ridiculous, everything on there except what is inspected, so I cannot cite the section, but trust me it's on there.

For the oxygen sensor guy, there is a waiver if you spend over $200 to fix the problem. Keep in mind there are other issues that go beyond simple the O2 sensor failing. Could be you're running rich and that is fouling the sensor (possible vacuum hose leak etc). Did you bench test the sensor to confirm if it's good or bad? Also as others have stated cars often have multiple O2 sensors. Fixing the issue should improve MPG.

Last edited by wheelsup; 05-08-2013 at 09:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary