Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 06:50 AM

17 posts, read 37,798 times

Advertisements

Being a transplant from South Florida (Ft Lauderdale) and living here for the last year, I have found absolutely no form of racism in The Triangle. In South Fla you could see some form of racism because of all of the immigrants and every immigrant has something against each other. That's why in Miami you have little Haiti, little Havana, the African American area and the White area. and everybody stays in there own area and does business in there own area and if you have to go to another area the way you are treated is like a piece of dirt.....RB.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:46 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times
I have only lived south of the Mason-Dixon line for 2 years out of my entire life. And I've lived a LOT of places. And even though 20 years were spent on the West Coast, I'm sure Southerners would call me a dyed-in-the-wool Yankee.

But I have no problem with displaying the Confederate flag. Why? The Civil War happened folks. It's part of our history. We fly the Irish flag at home--does that mean we support all causes Irish? Absolutely not. It's part of our heritage.

I'm sure there are some Confederate Flag flyers who still wish the South had won the war. Taking slavery out of the picture, the war destroyed the South: literally and economically. In fact, slavery, wrong as it is, was a major building block of the economy in the south. Hard to run all those huge plantations with a major payroll to meet every week!

I'm sorry-I digressed. What I am trying to say is that overall, I'm more worried about the neo-Nazis living in the mountains of Idaho and Montana than I am about some person flying the Confederate flag on their front lawn.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:51 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
The Civil War happened folks.
"Civil War"? You must be talking about the War of Northern Aggression (I have adopted that now being here for 2.5 years)

Old 05-21-2008, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
"Civil War"? You must be talking about the War of Northern Aggression (I have adopted that now being here for 2.5 years)
You are right. I stand corrected.

In Virginia, it was "The War Between The States"

I've noticed the further south you go, the worse it gets re: Northerners. So in NC, it's "The War of Northern Aggression".

I do agree that there was nothing "civil" about it.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:14 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,772,563 times
South Carolina hanging the Confederate Flag has nothing to do with racism. It has to do with history and heritage. SC is proud for standing up for state rights (although embarrassed by slavery). Political opportunists like Jesse Jackson have tried to make the flag into an issue, but it says more about them and those that blindly follow them that it says about the southerners who cling to their heritage.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
South Carolina hanging the Confederate Flag has nothing to do with racism. It has to do with history and heritage. SC is proud for standing up for state rights (although embarrassed by slavery). Political opportunists like Jesse Jackson have tried to make the flag into an issue, but it says more about them and those that blindly follow them that it says about the southerners who cling to their heritage.
I don't think there's anything wrong with Southerners "clinging" to their heritage. I think everyone should be "clinging" to their heritage! Where would we be without our sense of history?

Old 05-21-2008, 08:42 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
I saw the confederate flag fairly often in NC...mostly in the form of hats, bumper stickers, t-shirts, and license plates. I never really thought of it as racist, I just thought it was stupid because it symbolized secession. It seemed like southerners were celebrating the fact that the country had been torn apart and the south formed its own nation for a while....and almost like they wish they still had their own nation. I know most southerners are very patriotic and you can almost always bet that if you see a confederate flag waving there is an American Flag right next to or above it, But I don't see the need to fly, wear, or display a flag that represents that dark period of division in America. I'm even more confused when I see he confederate flag in states that weren't even part of the confederacy....Maryland, Kentucky...even rural PA!

btw I also agree with one of the first responses ... NC and SC are NOT the same.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:42 AM

2 posts, read 3,543 times
I saw on TV a couple of weeks ago that they let cops in NYC riddle innocent black men with bullets.........say it isn't so.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:47 AM

282 posts, read 835,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
You are right. I stand corrected.

In Virginia, it was "The War Between The States"

I've noticed the further south you go, the worse it gets re: Northerners. So in NC, it's "The War of Northern Aggression".

I do agree that there was nothing "civil" about it.
Hard to tell, I think.

MY grandmother (from Southern Alabama) used to refer to it as "that unpleasantness from some years back.." Now THERE's a euphemism....

Old 05-21-2008, 08:50 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighBoundGeek View Post
Hard to tell, I think.

MY grandmother (from Southern Alabama) used to refer to it as "that unpleasantness from some years back.." Now THERE's a euphemism....
"...the late unpleasantness..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary