Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2022, 08:23 AM

599 posts, read 335,518 times

Advertisements

Skunk weed really lives up to its name. I've had a skunk living near my house before, close enough that I would hear it shuffling through the leaves at night when our windows were open. Never smelled it. They don't smell unless they spray something. Unless you're actually seeing these skunks, it sounds more like weed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2022, 03:20 PM

13,751 posts, read 12,562,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
I've lived in my apartment for several years, but the last two months have seen what must be a new neighbor. A skunk.
Every day or three, after dark, and often again later (11pm+). I'm assaulted by that skunk smell infiltrating into my apartment. It's about half the strength of if your car runs over a fresh road-kill, so it's survivable, but still noticeable and moderately annoying. Having it happen so often has become unacceptable.

There are bushes surrounding the building, and they must be hiding there, and spraying for whatever reason, and the smell leaks in and is noticeable for about an hour inside.
The way the apartments are built, I'm unable to improve sealing from infiltration. (I know construction and that was my first thought, but it's just not possible).

I've reported it several times to the management and they're sympathetic but don't seem to know how, or be willing, to take action.

MY QUESTION: Anyone have experience asking help from Raleigh Animal Control for skunks?
Their website doesn't really address this, but I'd think they would have experience with baited live-traps in capturing and relocating unwanted wild animals to undeveloped areas.
I didn't think of them until after they'd closed for the weekend, and will phone and ask them Monday, but
I wanted to see if anyone else had similar experiences.
They won't get involved with animals that are outside, anymore than they'd get involved with the bunny rabbits eating your hostas. You'd have to get the apartment to spring for a Damage Control Agent; some exterminators have the license, some landscapers, some dedicated wildlife removal type outfits, but tey're all private businesses basically. He in turn would likely have to get a depredation permit to trap them, as the trapping season went out 2/28.

My personal opinion is that someone is smoking weed in your building. The seemingly scheduled nature of it would line up with someone smoking after they get home from work and again before bed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
More skunks are moving into this area. Starting to see quite a few in northern Wake where they were extremely rare in the past. Several dead ones in the last few weeks on Bruce Garner Road and Hwy 98 between 50 and Wake Forest.
Interesting. I've never personally seen one in Wake County, but I know they're theoretically around. The folks I know in NC that have had dogs get sprayed by them were in Greensboro. The one I've seen in person since moving out of the midwest was in Pigeon Forge. Historically, they've been rare in the Coastal Plain, but common through the Piedmont, seemingly more and more common the further west in the Piedmont you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Have you ever been near a skunk that has sprayed? It is a smell you instantly recognize and don't ever forget. I have never smelled weed like that.
Yes and no. My dog has been sprayed before when I as on a hunting trip (thank god I sprung for every extra at the Hertz counter.) It was almost a little different at first, but it was extremely powerful. That said, the skunk smell as I'd smell it driving down the road? That's easily mistaken for weed.

Old 03-08-2022, 07:13 AM

11,244 posts, read 8,363,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Really it’s probably weed. Skunks are definitely in the area but more in the rural areas. I have smelled weed more in the past few years than I ever have before. Got behind a car at the ATM that was hot-boxing weed not too long ago!
almost certainly this! I ride bikes around the area regularly, and we smell it behind cars anymore on almost every ride.

Remember too, that CBD (hemp) is now legal. It looks the same, smells the same, but doesn't get people high, so there's that too, and it's being sold at every CBD shop and most every vape/smoke shop. In the past year, It's notable how often I smell it.

Quote:
Are we overlooking the possibility that it's skunks smoking weed?
^reminds me of this far-side cartoon:

Old 03-14-2022, 04:58 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,940,221 times
I'm thinking your new neighbor is this guy, and if you see a feline being aggressively courted, or hearing about the 'casbah,' you'll know what's up!

Old 03-15-2022, 07:14 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,851,872 times
Thanks for the "interesting" alternate possibilities, and for the verification that there Does Exist, Skunk-Weed. I'm concluding that this is the source.
A good thing too, as some of my research includes that the city Animal Control will NOT trap & relocate skunks. They (the skunks) are potential Rabies carriers and thus can't be relocated, only killed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary