Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2008, 07:56 PM

39 posts, read 125,971 times

Advertisements

I will be in the area tomorrow (Wed) through Saturday on a house hunting trip. Any suggestions of things I should take photos of to bring back for my kids and wife? (I have a 6 year old daughter, a 4 year old son, and an 18 month old son.)

The purpose of these photos is to give them an idea of what the area looks like. (Think about things that young kids would enjoy)

Thanks!!

--Alan

P.S. Any other helpful suggestions for someone relocating to the area would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 08:02 PM

12 posts, read 60,175 times
Smile Bringing Back Photos

Where are you relocating from? When I relocated here, I brought photos back for my kids of things that they could not see at home (Florida). This included hills and woods, and Yates Mill. Just showing them pictures of the brick homes and the style of houses we would be moving to was enough to get them excited as the style of architecture that they were used to in Florida was much different. I went to Hemlock Bluffs and too pictures of the bluffs - they did not know what a bluff was and when we actually relocated, it was the first thing that they wanted to do.

Moderator cut: TOS violation

Last edited by autumngal; 05-20-2008 at 08:51 PM..

Old 05-20-2008, 10:14 PM

121 posts, read 388,644 times
Default Pictures for kids

In Raleigh
Go to Pullen Park and take pictures of
The lake and paddleboats
The Carousel
The train
The aquatics center at Pullen

Take some pictures inside the Marbles Kids Museum

In the NC Museum of Natural Science, show them
The dinosaurs
The rainforest conservatory with the sloth and all the butterflies
The Discovery room

Take a picture of one of the numerous playgrounds like the one at Baileywick Park

Stop in at Durham's Museum of Life & Science

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan412 View Post
I will be in the area tomorrow (Wed) through Saturday on a house hunting trip. Any suggestions of things I should take photos of to bring back for my kids and wife? (I have a 6 year old daughter, a 4 year old son, and an 18 month old son.)

The purpose of these photos is to give them an idea of what the area looks like. (Think about things that young kids would enjoy)

Thanks!!

--Alan

P.S. Any other helpful suggestions for someone relocating to the area would be appreciated.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:10 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Great advice in the post above. To that post I'd add photos of things that they fear they will lose when moving. It might sound silly but sometimes kids need to be re-assured that they will still have McDonald's playlands and other seemingly mundane aspects of ordinary life. Remember that, for kids, their world is rather small. It's their neighborhood, their school and the places where their friends are.

I'd also add some photos that capture their wonder. As a previous post suggested, photos of places that are new to them that they can look forward to exploring.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:53 AM

jsonadam - I am relocating from Dallas. I'll try to get over to hemlock bluffs

Eagle Scout - I hadn't heard about marbles kids museum. From their website, that looks really cool. Thanks!

rnc2mbfl - Thanks for the suggestion about McD and some "ordinary" things.

All - thanks for your suggestions!!

Old 05-21-2008, 12:20 PM

15 posts, read 62,422 times
If you're moving to a subdivision that has a community pool.tennis courts and a playground, be sure to snap photos of those too! The kids will love the idea that there are fun places to play just a short walk from your new home!

Old 05-21-2008, 01:22 PM

12 posts, read 60,175 times
Alan - my wife is there now with two kids and a dog hiking, They live it. Moderator cut: TOS Violation I am sure that you will love the area.

Last edited by autumngal; 05-21-2008 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: soliciting is not permitted

Old 05-22-2008, 04:51 AM

119 posts, read 368,154 times
Alan,

Make sure you take pictures of some neighborhoods and houses for your wife. If a subdivision has a pool, i'm sure the kids would like to see that.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:05 AM

I have been taking some photos of neighborhoods and houses. If I find a house this trip that I really like, then I will take a bunch of pictures of the subdivision/pool (if there is one).

I think this morning before meeting with the realtor, I will try the bluffs and take some photos of the playground at Bond Park.

Last night, I showed the pictures I had taken yesterday of the apartment we will live in when the family first arrives and pictures of Crabtree park to the kids (btw, iChat theatre ROCKS where the kids can see me, I can see them, and I can share a photo. Now if only I could share a web page in the same way....)

--Alan

--Alan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary