Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 01:34 PM

41 posts, read 144,168 times

Advertisements

I'm taking a poll to see which Department Store is a "Most Favorite" in the Raleigh metro area. Which store do you prefer? Which brands/product do you prefer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 01:35 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,967 times
Is there even a choice here? They are in totally different worlds. Nordstroms!!

Old 05-21-2008, 01:36 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,965,937 times
Nordstroms! But way too rich for my blood at the moment.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:47 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,521,014 times
Nordstroms. When we lived on the west coast there where many. In Fla just a few the closest being 45 min from me. It is funny that I spotted this post since I just e mailed nordstroms. You get nordstrom notes to spend but you have to go to the store to use them. I have $150 of them to spend but with the price of gas from Hudson to the nearest Nordstroms is a little over an hour and the gas I would have to use is a lot of $$$. It is so much easier to buy on line but you cannot use them on line.
Macy's 20 years ago was a great store but the store has gone down hill fast. That is just my opinion though.
BTW when Nordstroms has a sale it is always a great sale and a real sale. They only have a few every year not every other week. Customer service is also great.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:48 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,059,173 times
I don't see the point of owning a $400 purse, so I'm voting Macy's. Although I will admit to shopping at the Saks outlet store on more than one occasion. The Prada bags are only $800 there!

Note: I have bought some things from Nordstrom before, but I stop by there rarely.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:08 PM

150 posts, read 506,991 times
Nordstrom is my favorite (coming from the west coast...)! You can shop and grab a bite at the cafe-so it's very convenient, and I like the atmosphere. I have to say though, the Macy's at the Streets at Southpoint has great deals and is never packed, so I may change my mind.....

Old 05-21-2008, 02:11 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,022,976 times
There is no "S" at the end of Nordstrom!!!!!!!

Sure, I prefer Nordstrom as a store and their merchandise, but I shop ten times more often at Macy's because it's much more practical. Nordstrom is for gift shopping and feeling upper-class in this guy's book.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:13 PM

94 posts, read 433,670 times
Nordstroms! I like that they have "just enough" of select items. For example, they will have 50 evening dresses to choose from, as opposed to Macy's that will have 250...or more! But, I must say the very best thing about Nordstroms is the Customer Service. The Sales People are always friendly and helpful. They will find an item in Timbuktu if they have to, just to accomodate you, they always thank you by saying your name, and treat you like they appreciate your business. I have spent my hard-earned money at Macy's and have been treated like I should thank them for servicing me!

Old 05-21-2008, 02:25 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times
Can I vote? I don't live in the Triangle but I lived in Seattle and Portland for many years so you're probably going to figure out I vote...

NORDSTROM

And you're right--there is no "s".

They are spendy, as MrsSteel has said. In fact, since we had kids, I rarely shop there (and the fact that until 3 months ago, the closest one to me was 45 miles away in Providence). But for some of the spendier things I buy (yes, I'm hooked on Origins skin care and makeup line), I'd rather buy them at Nordstrom. When the kids were little, I did actually shop the sales in the kids' dept at Tyson's Corner, VA. Great deals and quality unsurpassed. Some of the clothing items are still going strong on their 5th/6th kid hand-me-down.

When I was single and making a great salary, I have to confess to purchasing most of my work wardrobe at Nordy's. My husband bought almost all his suits there. Their customer service platform sets the standard for the industry and to my knowledge has never been matched. My husband took back a tie a year later because it frayed at the knot and they replaced it, no questions asked. Their shoe dept (they started as a shoe store) is unparalleled. My daughter wanted Uggs for Christmas this year. No, I did not want to buy her a pair of $90 shoes but Grandma chimed in and said she'd buy them. I could only find the color/size we needed at the Providence RI store. So my husband and I made a night of it, went out to dinner and to Providence Place. When I went to pick them up, they had them right there in the shoe dept (no running around to the customer service desk, etc.), all boxed up in their unique Nordstrom silver gift box, with a beautiful bow.

And that's another thing.... when you need a gift box, it's right there. No running around.

When I was working full time, they had a "pantyhose express" dept. Run your pantyhose? Nordstrom delivered another pair to your office--no charge for delivery.

Can you tell I'm just a wee bit of a Nordstrom fan?

BTW, the Nordy's in Anchorage sells tires! LOL Only in Alaska....

Old 05-21-2008, 02:43 PM

718 posts, read 2,973,436 times
I like both.

Depends on what I am shopping for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary