Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2023, 05:15 AM

202 posts, read 173,910 times

Advertisements

With the allowance of full gerrymandering and restrictions on Voters, the GOP has moved NC out of the ‘Democracy’ column. Next I expect State Legislators to start attacking LGBT rights, abortion, and who knows what else.

Did we learn nothing from the bathroom bill fiasco which cost the state billions?

I’m a registered Republican, but a believer in Democracy. I will be switching to Independent and no longer voting for GOP candidates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2023, 05:22 AM

4,551 posts, read 3,750,269 times
I thought Republicans said they would try to walk a fine line between conservative policies and also not trying to look NC look like it’s part of the backwards south? We lost a lot of business during the bathroom bill. Both sides market themselves as being friendly to big business and inviting them to the state.

If you start enough anti-abortion, anti-LGBT, anti-diversity BS, then they are back to where they started from. It will make NC not look like a purple state anymore, but a typical Bible-thumping state.

But maybe we need less people moving here……..

Old 04-29-2023, 05:29 AM

921 posts, read 748,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWaveDad View Post
With the allowance of full gerrymandering and restrictions on Voters, the GOP has moved NC out of the ‘Democracy’ column. Next I expect State Legislators to start attacking LGBT rights, abortion, and who knows what else.

Did we learn nothing from the bathroom bill fiasco which cost the state billions?

I’m a registered Republican, but a believer in Democracy. I will be switching to Independent and no longer voting for GOP candidates.
They already are! Its sad to watch my once proud home state be destroyed by these neanderthals.

Old 04-29-2023, 07:21 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,726,364 times
Quote:

They don't care, it's all about maintaining power and fabricated culture wars at this point. People be damned.

Old 04-29-2023, 07:38 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
With the allowance of full gerrymandering and restrictions on Voters, the GOP has moved NC out of the ‘Democracy’ column. Next I expect State Legislators to start attacking LGBT rights, abortion, and who knows what else. .....
I am a registered independant, and I have already received a questionaire from Mark Robinson who is running for Governor. He was asking whether i thought we should stamp out transgenderism in the classroom.There were several other loaded questions like that.

Old 04-29-2023, 09:35 AM

1,116 posts, read 1,209,560 times
Quote:

This is a bit hysterical. The Democrats held a death grip on the state through gerrymandering for 100 years. They never reformed redistricting. Republicans eventually broke their back and did the same thing. I doubt it will take another 100 years before Democrats take power back and do exactly the same thing again. Yes, gerrymandering is bad, but it's not illegal and every party does it when in the majority and opposes it in the minority.

The real problem here is the NC Democrats have adopted the national Democratic party line and refuse to create a platform that will appeal to voters and win in the districts as they exist. As the minority party, you can't choose your voters, you have to appeal to the voters. But the Democrats have been dragged hard to the left, so much so that many Democrats can't support them right now. Historically, NC Democrats have been quite a bit more moderate than their national party and they're going to have to return to those roots to be successful in the future.

For reference, I'm a lifelong Democrat and believe in the principals of liberalism now more than ever. I switch my registration to independent after losing confidence in the party after the circus around Kavenaugh and Northam.

Old 04-29-2023, 09:36 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,001 times
Quote:

I believe gerrymandering is an affront to democracy and generates non-competitive districts that allow extremists in both parties to be elected. All you need to do is look at the US Congress and the loss of moderates in both chambers to see it in full action. But let's not pretend that gerrymandering hasn't existed or been used for nearly as long as the two-party political system has been around.

Old 04-29-2023, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
I believe gerrymandering is an affront to democracy and generates non-competitive districts that allow extremists in both parties to be elected. All you need to do is look at the US Congress and the loss of moderates in both chambers to see it in full action. But let's not pretend that gerrymandering hasn't existed or been used for nearly as long as the two-party political system has been around.
Yes, exactly, and what you almost never hear is what the solution is. Neither party is interested in solving the problem. I don't know of any purple states that have solved it. But we always ignore the real answer, which is for the minority party and their candidates to find a way to appeal to the voters in the districts as they are drawn, not simply whine about being unelectable.

Old 04-29-2023, 11:29 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,001 times
I'll also add that many people seem to prefer self-segregation based on political beliefs. We've seen folks on this board moving to the area ask about areas that are liberal or conservative, so they can be around people who share their political views. This makes the creation of non-competitive districts that much easier.

Old 04-29-2023, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
I'll also add that many people seem to prefer self-segregation based on political beliefs. We've seen folks on this board moving to the area ask about areas that are liberal or conservative, so they can be around people who share their political views. This makes the creation of non-competitive districts that much easier.
Bingo, and to put a finer point on it, it's the left in particular segregating themselves into cities, diluting their power. The fact is you can draw Republican gerrymandered districts that look normal. But the Democrats have to draw some crazy looking salamanders just to make the districts fair. This geographic reality pretty much makes it impossible to create districts that would otherwise seem fair. This is why you don't hear the Democrats putting forth solutions because those solutions would involve dividing cities into many districts to dilute the power of rural voters. Any solution that requires compact geographic districts will come out favoring Republicans. So now the Democrats have to argue that districts shouldn't be compact and that cities should be divided into many districts and it's really not tenable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary