Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2023, 12:58 PM

234 posts, read 237,877 times

Advertisements

Road rage incident escalated to a life-or-death situation when the man involved followed a woman into the Food Lion parking lot and attempted to forcibly enter her vehicle. Raleigh PD not filing charges, citing that the shooting was consistent with the Castle Doctrine laws in NC.

Thoughts?

Source: https://www.wral.com/story/it-s-scar...ings/20981325/

Old 08-04-2023, 01:15 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
He FAFO for the last time.

Old 08-04-2023, 01:18 PM

363 posts, read 225,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inner_outer_440 View Post
Road rage incident escalated to a life-or-death situation when the man involved followed a woman into the Food Lion parking lot and attempted to forcibly enter her vehicle. Raleigh PD not filing charges, citing that the shooting was consistent with the Castle Doctrine laws in NC.

Thoughts?

It just reaffirms my decision to carry a firearm. The woman lawfully protected herself. This is a textbook example of the Castle Doctrine just like they teach in the CHP class.

Old 08-04-2023, 01:19 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,209,806 times
I'm glad she was prepared to protect herself and don't want to contemplate what could have happened otherwise.

Old 08-04-2023, 01:40 PM

341 posts, read 296,541 times
Good for her. Great shooting. Another pos off the street too

Old 08-04-2023, 01:48 PM

11,474 posts, read 5,995,398 times
Ooh, tough one.

You are not in imminent danger sitting in a closed and locked car, but you will have no time to react if the door is yanked open.

I am really on the fence with this one. It feels like a bad shoot because the door was locked and the window was intact, but I really can't tell the violence with which the man was attacking her door. It could have been justified.

I am glad I don't have to make the call on this shoot. I would need video to decide either way. Did he grab her door handle and just shout at her or was he beating hell out of the window while yanking on the handle like a wild man?

With nothing to go by, I would have to say, "no prosecution/good shoot" but I am not really comfortable making a call either way with what is in the article. Your car is your "castle" but you really have to be in fear for your life, not just rattled. I kind of wish she had just scooted over and brandished the gun, hoping he backed off. If the window broke or the door came open, then yes fire away.

This one is a toughie for me.

Old 08-04-2023, 02:16 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
This woman did what she was supposed to do, she got off the road and got to a well populated area to hopefully de-escalate the situation. Regardless of how anyone feels the police did an investigation which I guarantee included reviewing store cameras in the shopping center and came to the conclusion they did. I'm not a firearm owner and don't really want to be but if it's good for the police and DA it's good for me. If she did all the things before that to help him get control of himself and leave, it's all on him. One does wonder if he saw the firearm before she shot and decided to keep going on trying to get at her.

According to the castle doctrine as soon as he touched her door handle she was good to go. Guess he didn't know that.

Old 08-04-2023, 02:20 PM

4,262 posts, read 4,713,041 times
It depends, and I think that's the position of the Wake County DA's office too.

If a guy who had been engaging in road rage (hostile intent) ran up to her car and tried to open the door, I can't blame the woman for shooting him. If there are witnesses or video to that effect, open and shut. If there are no witnesses and the guy's fingerprints are on the car door or there is other evidence that the guy was trying to enter the car, then the woman's testimony is all that the police and the DA have to go on as long as the woman's testimony is credible. If there are no fingerprints and no substantiation of prior road rage by a witness and the woman's testimony was inconsistent, that's different.

One version of the story circulating in the neighborhood says she shot him in the back. The plot thickens. He might have still been at the car door and simply twisted to avoid being shot. No issue there. But suppose the guy tried to open the car door, saw her gun, immediately backed away 20 feet with his hands in the air, and turned his back to walk away, and then she shot him. Applying the Castle Doctrine now gets tricky because you're into a "continuation" scenario where it's arguable whether the woman still has a reasonable belief that she is in imminent peril. Suppose further that she pursued him for 50 feet and then shot him. (The version of the story circulating in the neighborhood says she emptied the clip in her gun.) I don't know how that one plays with the DA or a jury for that matter.

But a story circulating in the neighborhood doesn't mean that's the way it went down. For all we know, the guy was visibly armed with a gun or a knife, and in that case the woman has more leeway to use deadly force. The facts that have been publicized could fit with a hundred different scenarios. In the absence of further evidence, I believe the RPD and the DA's office made the right call.

Last edited by wizard-xyzzy; 08-04-2023 at 02:36 PM..

Old 08-04-2023, 05:48 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,429,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inner_outer_440 View Post

Thoughts?

Sounds good to me.

Old 08-04-2023, 06:51 PM

6,451 posts, read 9,812,682 times
I don't understand how anyone is even near the fence on this one. Easy call to make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: