Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 07:31 AM

1,364 posts, read 6,023,401 times

Advertisements

So with the complaints about fescue, am I to assume that those with Bermuda are faring better now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 08:11 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,690,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
We have fescue grass and completely stopped watering it last summer. We also decided to not bother reseeding and called it a day. This spring the grass came back greener than ever which was a complete shock. It was doing well until this week and now it's burning up again. We decided to let nature take it's course and wait for the cloud to open up and hope that it comes back again.
We did the same. As we learned from past droughts.
But we never watered at all last year. And it did just fine.

When we mow it, we use the highest setting. And also we mow according to the weather. If rain is in the forecast we will mow. No rain, no mow. As the grass will not get too long unless it is watered thoroughly, but will still stay green.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:19 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumngal View Post

When we mow it, we use the highest setting. And also we mow according to the weather. If rain is in the forecast we will mow. No rain, no mow. As the grass will not get too long unless it is watered thoroughly, but will still stay green.
This works for established lawns, but don't try this with new fescue. We lived in a new Cary neighborhood and about half our neighbors never watered their lawn and they now have almost no grass. Honestly I hate Bermuda and Zoysia (because of what they look like in the Winter) but in retrospect since our builder didn't put in irrigation systems (and even if they did I'm sure plenty of people wouldn't have used them because of the cost of water in Cary), I would have preferred that the entire neighborhood was zoysia. At least then I wouldn't have had to look at dirt yards. Also, I haven't seen this mentioned (maybe I missed it), but I believe Cary is offering some kind of reduction of property tax for replacing fescue with zoysia or bermuda grass.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:37 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,690,658 times
No it was not an established lawn. Only 6 months old. Brand new is not recommended as of course it needs watering and TLC.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:40 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,949,662 times
Default oh well

what can you do, it's grass. I stopped driving myself crazy over the lawn. I was used to a lush green lawn, I have just accepted that in NC without a weekly rainfall, without drought conditions, and without an inground irrigation system, I am unable to maintain a lush green lawn. I am letting nature takes it's course. I was stressing last year about the sod installed, I am not stressing this year. My lawn looked beautiful this year in March, April, and May, now it's burning in spots, It will green up with the next rainfall. I water my plants, shrubs and trees, that's it. I am not going to drive myself crazy trying to keep the lawn looking green and honestly wasting water, in my opinion to have a green lawn. I keep my property immaculate, lawn mowed (highest setting), everything trimmed, swept, clean, flowers blooming etc...it will just be with a brown lawn...oh well...let's just pray for more rain, preferably during the overnight hours while we sleep or during work hours so it doesn't cut into our playtime outside Happy Summer everyone!

Old 06-06-2008, 09:35 AM

207 posts, read 1,088,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
This works for established lawns, but don't try this with new fescue. We lived in a new Cary neighborhood and about half our neighbors never watered their lawn and they now have almost no grass. Honestly I hate Bermuda and Zoysia (because of what they look like in the Winter) but in retrospect since our builder didn't put in irrigation systems (and even if they did I'm sure plenty of people wouldn't have used them because of the cost of water in Cary), I would have preferred that the entire neighborhood was zoysia. At least then I wouldn't have had to look at dirt yards. Also, I haven't seen this mentioned (maybe I missed it), but I believe Cary is offering some kind of reduction of property tax for replacing fescue with zoysia or bermuda grass.
Does it bother you to look at dirt yards? My fescue started to brown about a week ago but it really doesn't bother me. I've never watered it and don't plan to. As long as I mow it and keep it nice and neat it's fine. I think in the future I'm going to tear up the grass and replace it with some sort of hardscape, with areas of colored rock, rubber mulch, etc... Then I can ditch the mower completely.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:12 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,734,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumngal View Post

Here's an ignorant question -- when you say "highest setting", do you mean cuts the grass the least (e.g. highest as in height of grass) or cuts it the most (e.g. highest as in "most cutting ability")?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALT-X
I think in the future I'm going to tear up the grass and replace it with some sort of hardscape, with areas of colored rock, rubber mulch, etc... Then I can ditch the mower completely.
Yea, me too. I'll need to keep the small back yard grass, because of the kids etc., but the front probably doesn't need to remain grassy. Go xeriscape!

Old 06-06-2008, 10:34 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,773,458 times
Highest means cut the least. You want Fescue to grow high for healthy yards.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:08 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,816,202 times
This is my first summer with fescue. My house was new in November, and I sodded the entire yard (front sides and back).

The back yard is doing VERY well because it is pretty shady, the front not so much. I am going to let nature take it's course this summer. I don't have irrigation and I refuse to be a slave to the sprinkler for many reasons (conservation, cost of water, etc.). I'll take a look at overseeding in the fall.

I had bermuda in my last house and this kind of weather (HOT, DRY) was when it did the best. I still prefer the fescue overall, though. The little bits of dried bermuda stems that the dog used to drag into the house made it impossible to keep the floors clean.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:19 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALT-X View Post
Does it bother you to look at dirt yards? My fescue started to brown about a week ago but it really doesn't bother me. I've never watered it and don't plan to. As long as I mow it and keep it nice and neat it's fine. I think in the future I'm going to tear up the grass and replace it with some sort of hardscape, with areas of colored rock, rubber mulch, etc... Then I can ditch the mower completely.
It did, but luckily I'm not looking at it any more! Looking at a dirt yard with no grass but weeds growing tall is not my cup of tea. I don't think rubber mulch is recommended here because of the heat, but maybe I'm mistaken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary