Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 02:34 PM

29 posts, read 67,098 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are going to relocate early next year. We are talking about him going down early and getting his job going, searching the homes and establishing some "ground".....While I am back home wrapping things up. From those who have done this before.... is this a good idea or not. Thanks for the imput!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 02:38 PM

4 posts, read 14,105 times
Hi, just moved down to Raleigh and I would say to do just what u stated above. We came down thinking that we would be able to find jobs in no time. But I was wrong as of now we have been down for 1 month and I have not found gainful employment yet but my husband has. But if I had it to do all over again I would use your plan. Outside of that I love it here!!!

Good Luck!

Old 07-06-2008, 02:47 PM

Thank you for the reply. As hard as it will be for the kids - I think that with my personality, I would not be handling things as gracefully as you are if we were unable to find work. I know for me it will be a challenge, but hopefully, I can get most of the packing done before he leaves! My sister in law is down there & she has offered many times to let him stay with her for "free" living! I think that may be what has to happen! Thanks & Good luck finding work for you!!

Old 07-06-2008, 02:53 PM

551 posts, read 575,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ2009 View Post
My husband and I are going to relocate early next year. We are talking about him going down early and getting his job going, searching the homes and establishing some "ground".....While I am back home wrapping things up. From those who have done this before.... is this a good idea or not. Thanks for the imput!

This is an excellent strategy.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:59 PM

In & Out - I actually read a lot of your posts and your comment means a lot! Thanks!

Old 07-06-2008, 09:17 PM

835 posts, read 2,876,785 times
We relocated from NH this past March. My husband actually got a job first, having come down to start in Sept 2007, while the kids and I stayed behind to sell our house. It was very hard on all of us. Keeping the house clean and having open houses every Sunday with 3 kids was the worst. I was a basket case. Every time the kids messed up the house I would freak out. I was also working on top of everything else and trying to pack up our entire 2668 sq. ft. home all by myself! We are so thankful that it only took 4 months to sell considering the market and how long many people have had their homes for sale, but it was a very long and stressful time from start to finish, a total of 6 months by the time we closed. You do what you have to do...for us moving without a job was not an option. We love it here and are so happy we made the move.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:35 PM

18,047 posts, read 15,639,191 times
I think that's a very smart way to approach your move. You are maximizing your resources (the 2 adults) to get the most done ... handling things back home and preparing for the move. Two Thumbs Up on that plan!

Old 07-07-2008, 06:36 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,732,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ2009 View Post
Some folks have had success with that. Other folks have had success with both moving down at the same time, which is what we did. I really wouldn't have been happy being in one place with the kids, trying to keep them in order and trying to sell our condo, and having my wife down here house-shopping. To me, that wouldn't really be maximizing our resources. So we stayed in the same place, and it worked for us. YMMV, of course.

If you've got someone you can stay with in the area (i.e., if your sister-in-law is willing to put up with the whole family!) then I'd suggest that. But either way you can be successful.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:48 AM

1,364 posts, read 6,020,941 times
If you do it that way, I would warn you to be prepared to have the process take a long time - I'm not saying it will, but the streets are not paved in gold (not that I think it sounds like you think they are) but some people take many months to find a great job.

You are approaching the situation very responsibly by considering such an option. For my situation, my fiancee and I moved here with one job only, but rented an apartment that allowed us to subsist on a single income. Now that she has a job, we are buying a house and getting things going. It took her about 3 months to find the right job.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:07 AM

355 posts, read 1,502,514 times
My husband and i relocated last sept only after both of us found the job we wanted. Luckily we found jobs within a week of each other. I suggest you make the move together. Wrapping things up on your own could be pretty stressful especially if you have kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary