Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 05:08 AM

55 posts, read 87,402 times

Advertisements

I am wondering where to re=locate and I am a older person who is a nurse for many years but not in a hospital. Are there jobs for the 50 ish group in this area and how is it to work, drive and live in your area. I come from a small town in New Jersey and I am not sure but I know we have to move when our taces are over 9K and my health insurance I pay for family is over 2400 a month. Any suggestions I am going broke fast!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 07:12 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,734,102 times
Google is your friend. (http://www.newsobserver.com/100/story/1135350.html - broken link)

Old 07-11-2008, 07:50 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In & Out View Post
Driving down Page Road in RTP today (I think it was still RTP at that point) I see they are constructing a huge building. It is for the world headquarters of Quintiles. The sign says 1000 new career opportunities are available. How great is that? It's amazing how companies keep expanding here, even during a struggling national economy. One more example of how strong our local economy is.

Don't forget...Fidelity is still sending us folks, in smaller groups, as they sell their Boston homes!!!

I don't think they are moving very quickly on their new building in RTP.

Vicki

Old 07-11-2008, 08:07 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,089,224 times
I'm checking up on Quintiles. Hubby is pushing fast and furious on trying to secure a job in the Triangle since he's been laid off here in MA. It's sort of a chicken-or-egg thing. He's not local so that's a disadvantage. I''m trying to convince him to find a cheap place to rent for 3-4 months so he can BE local but he's hesitant.

I'm just going to come right out and say it. He's a smart guy with a great marketing background--mostly in the banking industry though and it's easy to get pigeonholed in marketing so it's tough to represent yourself outside the banking industry (i.e., Quintiles). And the finance/banking industry is taking a huge beating which is not going to stop anytime soon. In the past month he's had 3 phone interviews and they have EACH said to him that he's moving on to the next step which was either another phone interview with a hiriing authority OR a trip to Raleigh. And EACH, in the past week has contacted him to say the position is either frozen for now or will not be added. And we've confirmed this through independent third party sources.

Ugh.

If ANYONE has ANY leads or contacts please feel free to DM me!!

Old 07-11-2008, 09:40 AM

862 posts, read 3,549,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post
I'm checking up on Quintiles. Hubby is pushing fast and furious on trying to secure a job in the Triangle since he's been laid off here in MA. It's sort of a chicken-or-egg thing. He's not local so that's a disadvantage. I''m trying to convince him to find a cheap place to rent for 3-4 months so he can BE local but he's hesitant.

I'm just going to come right out and say it. He's a smart guy with a great marketing background--mostly in the banking industry though and it's easy to get pigeonholed in marketing so it's tough to represent yourself outside the banking industry (i.e., Quintiles). And the finance/banking industry is taking a huge beating which is not going to stop anytime soon. In the past month he's had 3 phone interviews and they have EACH said to him that he's moving on to the next step which was either another phone interview with a hiriing authority OR a trip to Raleigh. And EACH, in the past week has contacted him to say the position is either frozen for now or will not be added. And we've confirmed this through independent third party sources.

Ugh.

If ANYONE has ANY leads or contacts please feel free to DM me!!
Please tell your dh to come here while searching. My dh tried for almost 2 years to try to find a job when he was out of state and me and the kids were in NC. His not being local was a strong reason for him not even getting his foot in the door. He had many, many calls, but if you cannot come in for an interview on their time, you can forget about it. The vast majority of places would not entertain a phone interview. He got tired of the run around and came here with no job. It was rough initially, but we are so glad he did it.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:23 AM

337 posts, read 1,138,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In & Out View Post
Then why the huge new building and why 1000 more jobs? Are they doing that good?
The CRO industry is one on the fastest growing in the world. Quintiles is one of, if not the largest.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:19 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,089,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia78 View Post
Please tell your dh to come here while searching. My dh tried for almost 2 years to try to find a job when he was out of state and me and the kids were in NC. His not being local was a strong reason for him not even getting his foot in the door. He had many, many calls, but if you cannot come in for an interview on their time, you can forget about it. The vast majority of places would not entertain a phone interview. He got tired of the run around and came here with no job. It was rough initially, but we are so glad he did it.

He's a senior level (though he'll take something mid-senior level!) exec. Usually the phone interview is the first step, even for local stuff. But I agree with you. I think we need to take the plunge and have him go down there. Ideally, he would have done this with our soon to be 9th grader so he could start school down there. But if it's just him, he could rent a studio or 1 bed, cheap but safe and school district wouldn't matter.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:03 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by country heart View Post
I am wondering where to re=locate and I am a older person who is a nurse for many years but not in a hospital. Are there jobs for the 50 ish group in this area and how is it to work, drive and live in your area. I come from a small town in New Jersey and I am not sure but I know we have to move when our taces are over 9K and my health insurance I pay for family is over 2400 a month. Any suggestions I am going broke fast!!
Driving is very scary if you have poor night vision - no lighting. Almost no public transit.

Make sure you can get health insurance here. You can get quotes with an NC city at www.bcbsnc.com. However, if you have a serious preexisting issue, individual plans are most likely impossible.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:03 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,522,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Don't forget...Fidelity is still sending us folks, in smaller groups, as they sell their Boston homes!!!

I don't think they are moving very quickly on their new building in RTP.

Vicki
Not many anymore. The RTP building may not happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary