Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 01:12 PM

95 posts, read 224,307 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

If everything goes as planned and I get the apartment I just put in an application for, I will be moving to Raleigh in September.
I currently have AT&T for my cell phone up in Rochester, NY, and the coverage here is great. I know that in a lot of cities one provider may have better coverage than another. I want to buy the new iPhone when it comes out this week, but that would involve renewing my contract for another 2 years, and I would hate to do that if AT&T doesn't have great coverage in Raleigh and I end up having to switch to Verizon, for example.

Just wondering if all you AT&T customers down there are happy

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 01:17 PM
9/9

383 posts, read 566,463 times
AT&T questions seem to be popular today.

I have AT&T with a 3G phone (the 8525) and have been satisfied with the coverage, at least here in Durham (haven't had any problems with my trips into Raleigh). I can't really compare it to other providers, though, since I have never had anything else (though I was with Cingular here before the buyout).

Old 07-09-2008, 02:26 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,710,076 times
AT&T is good in NC, although service seems to be suffering from AT&Ts explosive growth courtesy of the iPhone new customers. I've had AT&T and Alltel in NC and Raleigh, and coverage is good. I get a few dropped calls every now and then.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:55 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,024,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9/9 View Post
AT&T questions seem to be popular today.

I have AT&T with a 3G phone (the 8525) and have been satisfied with the coverage, at least here in Durham (haven't had any problems with my trips into Raleigh). I can't really compare it to other providers, though, since I have never had anything else (though I was with Cingular here before the buyout).
That's because the new iPhone comes out Friday

Old 07-09-2008, 07:30 PM

18,114 posts, read 15,696,543 times
I use a Tracfone prepaid phone and the carrier in this area is AT&T and I seem to get good coverage around town and also on the road. I live in central Cary, but I recently used my phone on the coast between Wrightsville Beach and Savannah, GA and didn't have any problems getting a strong/clear signal. So you're probably okay.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:46 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,268,634 times
I live in the Chapel Hill/Carrboro area and have been happy with AT&T. I rarely get full reception with all the bars, but I do notice that when I go to Raleigh it's even better. You'll be fine. There will be some buildings that it might not work in, but other than that you shouldn't have any issues.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:59 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,358,863 times
For cell phones it is like most, and just Ok. I have had a problem with my office phones which are also ATT. Seems something is going down in the lines once a week which will drop one or more of the multi line system.
With the house phone ATT did hook our phones up to the alarm system which would set off the alarm when the phone rang.
I think the best way for alarms systems is to get a low cost cell phone and have hard wired into the system these days.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:36 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,453,062 times
No complaints with AT&T service -- they seem to want to hang onto Bell South's good standing and ratings, but I have learned one must 'negotiate' prices with them, and it can be done. I cut our home phone bill by well over 1/2 just by discussing what other companies were offering.

One of our cell phones is with AT&T, and I don't think there has been much of a problem with reception, dropped calls and the like. Our former exchange student uses the phone at college, and I can't tell that it is any better or any worse than the service our own daughter has with her phone, through All Tel, down on the coast.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:20 AM

159 posts, read 287,232 times
I still have my 585 cell phone, from Cingular>AT&T. It was a treo 680. I have a 919 treo 750 from my new employer, also AT&T.

Maybe it is because of where I am living, but there are times when the 919 gets a four bar signal and the 585 can't find a signal even when they are right next to each other.

So, the phones will work down here depending upon where you end up living, but you will have the issues of people still being reluctant to call you because of the long distance stigma. (even though most cell plans don't charge that way any more, but it will apply to land lines).

I would wait to buy the new phone when you get down here. I did not have that option, because I had a company cell in Rochester, and had to have my own during the transient period.

Your mileage may vary though, but you may also benefit from a lower price if you wait on the new phone.

Regards

Dave

Old 07-11-2008, 11:11 PM

95 posts, read 224,307 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks Dave!

I will probably follow your advice and just wait until I'm down there before I buy a new phone. I've been with AT&T forever, since they were Cingular and before that when they were Cellular One...hopefully I can stay with them.

Always nice to hear from another Rochestarian!

-Renée
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary