Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2008, 02:38 PM

3 posts, read 9,762 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know where I can get a low cost or "pro bono" attorney in this are to help me with my divorce? I am currently being "bullied" by my ex because I have no attorney to give me advice.

Here's the story....

When we were together he was in the process of joining the Air Force. Actually he was in and waiting to leave for basic. During this time period he started talking to and texting at least one other girl which I found out about. We agreed that I would come to NC "temporarily" to take a break and figure out what's going on between us. We eventually worked things out.

We had previously decided that my daughter and myself would live here (near my family) while he was away at basic training, so he said to stay and get a job and that he would move down. My sister was moving into a new house anyway, so I stayed to help her and found a job.

He then proceeded to go out partying and drinking every night for the next month or so. The text messaging went from 400 or 500 a month to 1200 or more. At one point he was at 3700 text messages in one month! Only a few of which were to me. Meanwhile I'm the one paying the bill and supporting our daughter. He was constantly "forgetting" to call us at night which obviously did not sit well with me. I was constantly enduring many nights of verbal abuse until the one night he said "that's it I want a divorce. I'm not joining the Air Force, I'm getting out. I don't love you never did" etc. More abuse!

Anyway, now I'm dealing with the divorce/separation and am being told that I have to drive our daughter halfway to VA to meet him to pick her up for visitation. He says that I have to do this because I "chose" to move out of our state! Obviously with the current gas price raping we are dealing with, and the fact that I am still receiving no support whatsoever, I cannot do this! I have not kept him from seeing despite his failure to support because I know I am not legally able to, but I need to know if I am, in fact, responsible for half the transportation??

Someone please help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 03:01 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,420,100 times

Not sure where you are located. There are offices in Raleigh, Smithfield as well as Johnston County. I wish you much luck and hope all works out for you.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:13 PM

892 posts, read 3,160,676 times
Minus a court order, you are not legally responsible for that transportation. A good family law attorney will be more than happy to discuss small details over the telephone before making an appointment for you to retain them.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:28 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,051,088 times
There are some low cost companies on the internet that will write up a divorce. Probably $149-$199. I think you need more advice than that and I would contact Legal Aid. Good Luck! Here's a good website. Divorce Source: Online Divorce Support Forum Community

Old 07-11-2008, 05:48 PM

586 posts, read 1,546,271 times
If he is still in the AF, can you go to a JAG office?

Old 07-11-2008, 06:21 PM

No he never went to basic training. He got out of it by going on anti-depressants. I found out when I contacted his recruiter to get my birth certificate and marriage certificates back.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:51 PM

194 posts, read 325,678 times
Wow, sad situation there. First bit of advice is document everything. *You can get a cheap recorder at places like Radio Shack to tape his calls. Get him to put things in emails when possible. Exchange dates and times etc. 2. Assume anything you say might be used against you, keep your cool
Is he working? Can a lawyer get child support set up right now?
Residency takes 6 months to establish to be able to file in NC. He'd have to file here if you have lived here that long. It's better to have it filed in the state you live in for sure. Good luck

Old 07-11-2008, 09:06 PM

Thank you! Yes I have been documenting things recently. Not for as long as I should have for sure, but I'm doing my best. This separation has been going on since Aug. '06. I have since been trying to get our separation agreement in order because the first one sent was not at all fair! Leaving me stuck with most of our bills etc. Long story...

He sent me the separation agreement, so I'm fairly certain he has divorce papers ready as well since he is the one who is asking for the divorce.

Anyway, I am going to contact legal aid again first thing on Monday and see what they say. At worst I might just have to swing a second job for a while to afford an attorney.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:09 AM

850 posts, read 3,625,345 times
I don't have any advice for you but just wanted to wish you luck and say that I hope everything works out for you and your daughter. Keep us posted!
Lauren
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary