Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 03:03 PM

32 posts, read 144,534 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'm a Carolina native and had lived in Cary for a few years before moving to California for grad school. Given conditions in California, I've decided to move back to Cary.

Data shows that 60% of Cary residents are married (many with kids). That still seems to be the case. However, Raleigh-Durham ranks top for singles and dating . It's hard to believe that there are very few singles living in Cary.

If you're a young professional in the area, is Cary not a desirable place to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2006, 11:14 PM

553 posts, read 2,331,720 times
I would think with all of the colleges you would have a lot to do. I am married and love Cary but from a singles perspective I read that Raleigh ranked 17 on a list of best places for singles. Don't remember the publication-I think CnnMoney. Not sure if this helps...

Old 12-26-2006, 07:50 AM

Deuterdu, yes I've also read about Raleigh-Durham's ranking in terms of singles. I had lived here for a number of years before moving to cali. Maybe because things are so spread out that it's hard to run into a lot of singles like in Cali. I'm quite picky because Cary/Preston is the only place I want to live : ) But I'm single and looking to meet other singles. Cary seems to have a lot of families.

Old 12-26-2006, 08:30 AM

271 posts, read 1,213,338 times
There arent too many singles in Cary, You're going to definetly need to widen out in order to meet available singles. Cary is a small piece of the larger "Triangle" pie. It's almost 2007 try something new. AKA Raleigh, Durham, and the other area.

Old 12-27-2006, 01:21 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,406,783 times
Since Cary is a suburb of Raleigh, then it really shouldn't be a big surprise that it's mainly family-oriented, as most suburban places are. It's a bedroom community, basically.

Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill are generally considered the more single-friendly cities in the region, thanks to having nightlife, urban residences (apts, condos, etc), jobs for young professionals, good dining & shopping, and those kind of things.

Old 12-27-2006, 05:16 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,723,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieInOC View Post
Deuterdu, yes I've also read about Raleigh-Durham's ranking in terms of singles. I had lived here for a number of years before moving to cali. Maybe because things are so spread out that it's hard to run into a lot of singles like in Cali. I'm quite picky because Cary/Preston is the only place I want to live : ) But I'm single and looking to meet other singles. Cary seems to have a lot of families.
My experience, and this is from a single guy who doesn't live in Durham-Raleigh yet, you need to get you face out there. That's the best way that I can put it. I learned that after having lived in Phoenix. By that I mean, workout at a gym that is a decent size, when you're in the grocery store look around and look people in the eye and smile, when you're at a restaurant at the bar with your girlfriend throw a smile or do the same when you're at a bookstore or just walking down the street.

All of those things and places I mention allow you to get your face out there but you also must be open to just starting a conversation with someone you don't know or willing to let that guy start a conversation with you without putting up what I like to call the *itch shield. Once you learn how to get your face out there, it doesn't matter where you live b/c you run into people. You'll just have to have the attitude that you will talk to anyone at anytime about anything. I can't tell you how many people I met by getting out there and not being afraid to talk to someone I don't know. I've made a lot of friends that way and I met a lot of women of that way. It works for sure.

Old 12-27-2006, 10:19 PM

I agree completely about getting exposure no matter where you live. I lived in the Cary/Raleigh area for a number of years before moving to southern cali. I'm able to meet more people in Cali because the environment fosters social activities. Here in the Raleigh Durham area where things are so spread out, it's tough to run into single through everyday routine (grocery, going to bookstore, etc.) It's worse in Cary where all I see are kids, teenagers, and senior people.

Raleigh has a few single scenes but they only happen on the weekend. Since bars/clubs are not my thing, I barely step foot in the downtown nightlife in Raleigh.

Another way to meet people is of course online, but that's just an additional venue. I think the reason Raleigh-Durham ranks top for online dating is that things are so spread out that singles are less likely to come in contact. Unless of course you know a lot of people and get invited to private parties (which I think is the best way to meet new friends).

Agree?

Old 12-28-2006, 05:26 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,723,141 times
Quote:
I agree completely about getting exposure no matter where you live. I lived in the Cary/Raleigh area for a number of years before moving to southern cali. I'm able to meet more people in Cali because the environment fosters social activities. Here in the Raleigh Durham area where things are so spread out, it's tough to run into single through everyday routine (grocery, going to bookstore, etc.) It's worse in Cary where all I see are kids, teenagers, and senior people.

Raleigh has a few single scenes but they only happen on the weekend. Since bars/clubs are not my thing, I barely step foot in the downtown nightlife in Raleigh.

Another way to meet people is of course online, but that's just an additional venue. I think the reason Raleigh-Durham ranks top for online dating is that things are so spread out that singles are less likely to come in contact. Unless of course you know a lot of people and get invited to private parties (which I think is the best way to meet new friends).

Agree?
Well, I agree somewhat. Phoenix is very much spread out. Maricopa County is large. I lived in Chandler which is has the demos that are pretty much similar to any suburban city such as Cary. The funny thing is that I made it work a year after being there by knowing the places to go. I never met anyone at a bar even though women at bars and clubs gave me a lot of attention, so to speak. It always happened for me at the gym (1), dry cleaners or the grocery store/Best Buy/Circuit City/Home Depot/Restaurant. Same thing living hear in Florida (Jacksonville).

I guess you have to take into account that So Cal is much larger than Durham-Raleigh so your chances increase exponentially in So Cal. I did that online thing in the summer of 05 while I was in Phoenix and I had it to the point where I had it pretty much mastered (300 views lots of emails and dating more than 1 woman at once). But I feel that things got better after I stopped doing the online thing. I really haven't done the private party thing so I can't speak to that. The only thing some what similar to that would be when the group of my friends, about 10 to 12 people, would through BBQs/pool parties and everyone would invite girls over and so you'd end up with about 10 guys and 15 to 20 women. The problem with those things are that you see the same people over again b/c you run in the same circle.

Are you the type of girl that will just start up a convo with someone you don't know?

Old 12-28-2006, 06:31 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,406,783 times
Quote:
Most folks who say that have one of two (very understandable) reasons:
1) They don't like alcohol-oriented places/events. or
2) They don't like the loud music, smoky atmosphere, etc.

If it's 1, then probably the better alternative would be coffee shops, cafes, art galleries (although wine is sometimes there), museums, restaurants, shows, etc.

If it's 2, then there are some better choices than your typical sports bar or singles nightclub-- like the more laid-back "lounges", upscale wine bars, and places like that. There are even a few smoke-free places scattered around, if you look for them.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:16 AM

I think you've mistaken me for a girl. I'm a 29M. When I moved away from Raleigh to So Cal, I started meeting a lot of women. I think that's mainly because I was going to grad school. Some would disagree, but I must say that the qaulity of women in So Cal is much different than that of those in the south (Raleigh-Durham, etc.). Those in So Cal look for different things. Then again, I'v'e only dated a few out there. Not a large enough sample to judge.

Forbes magazine described Raleigh-Durham singles as being 'family-oriented' and 'wanting to settle down.' How true do you find that to be? Personally I am looking to meet the right person and have a family. Not interested in casual dating and bar/club scenes. So I'm trying to make an educated decision to move back to the triangle area or remain in So Cal.

There're certainly other factors taken into account, e.g. cost of living, opportunities, culture, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary