Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 09:11 AM

260 posts, read 1,191,187 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I'm knew to the area of Fuquay and really love it. However, would like a local's input/suggesstions... anyone have a favorite local restaurant/pub or place they love to go. We've really only seen food chain Rest and would rather contribute $$ to local business owners.
Also, we have small children and found some great parks etc. But wondering if anyone knows of places for kids?? Science muesems? zoo? aquarium? etc. Do they have any of those kind of things maybe in Raleigh?
ALso, have company coming would appreciate any places that might be historical or really neat to see.
Would appreciate any input on the area..
Thank so much & loving it here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 10:58 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,407,799 times
Hate to break it to you, but for a large majority of these things you're looking for, you're gonna have to go to Raleigh. I've heard from others most restaurants in FV were chains. Whereas in Raleigh, particularly in and around downtown, most restaurants are local/independent places.

As for the other things you asked about...Raleigh's got the State Science and State History museums downtown...and the state Art museum in West Raleigh. There's also Exploris, a county-run "World Culture" museum in downtown, that's pretty popular with kids, and has an imax theatre too.
Alot of people also take their kids to Pullen City Park near NCSU...they've got a carousel and train ride for kids. And NCSU runs a really nice arboretum you should definitely visit this spring.

As for Zoos and Aquariums. NC State Zoo is about an hour-twenty minutes west of Raleigh in Asheboro. The three State Aquariums are on the coast: Fort Fisher (near Wilmington), Pine Knoll Shores (near Atlantic Beach) and Manteo.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:47 PM

260 posts, read 1,191,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
Hate to break it to you, but for a large majority of these things you're looking for, you're gonna have to go to Raleigh. I've heard from others most restaurants in FV were chains. Whereas in Raleigh, particularly in and around downtown, most restaurants are local/independent places.

As for the other things you asked about...Raleigh's got the State Science and State History museums downtown...and the state Art museum in West Raleigh. There's also Exploris, a county-run "World Culture" museum in downtown, that's pretty popular with kids, and has an imax theatre too.
Alot of people also take their kids to Pullen City Park near NCSU...they've got a carousel and train ride for kids. And NCSU runs a really nice arboretum you should definitely visit this spring.

As for Zoos and Aquariums. NC State Zoo is about an hour-twenty minutes west of Raleigh in Asheboro. The three State Aquariums are on the coast: Fort Fisher (near Wilmington), Pine Knoll Shores (near Atlantic Beach) and Manteo.
Thanks Raleigh Rob! We'll have to check out the things you mentioned this spring! Looking foward to it! You must be a local and seems to know a lot about the happenings in the area. I'll have to look them up on-line.
Thanks again!

Old 01-26-2007, 05:13 AM

134 posts, read 549,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darzz1 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm knew to the area of Fuquay and really love it. However, would like a local's input/suggesstions... anyone have a favorite local restaurant/pub or place they love to go. We've really only seen food chain Rest and would rather contribute $$ to local business owners.
Also, we have small children and found some great parks etc. But wondering if anyone knows of places for kids?? Science muesems? zoo? aquarium? etc. Do they have any of those kind of things maybe in Raleigh?
ALso, have company coming would appreciate any places that might be historical or really neat to see.
Forgive me for not remembering the name of the place.... There is a resturant/pub on Main street, south east side of the street, by the southern most stop light. They have all you can eat ribs on Monday and Tuesday (!!!);. My wife and I have been there a coupel of times. The people are friendly, the food is decent, and they are very family friendly. Try it and let us know what you think. Meet us there sometime? We are new to the area and dont know ANYONE.

Historical... Fuquay Springs, right downtown.

How far are you willing to travel?

If you have boys and the weather is icky, there is a cool slot car racing place right downtown. My boys and I went there to watch for a while. We are not talking about cheezy slot cars, these things are FAST. The people there talked to us about what it takes to get a car set up (not cheap), and it was free, different entertainment -- for a little while at least.

If you dont mind a drive, there is Seagrove (not too close to the sea!). There are a ton of potters there with shops and the like. Just something different to do.

Raven Rock State park (just outside of Lillington) is a great place for a hike. They have fairly short trails that get back to the river there.

I hear Jordan Lake is a great place to visit as well. The fishing is supposed to be decent.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-26-2007, 05:58 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,730 times
I know I am like a broken record, but here goes.....try the trianglemommies.com group. They have a very active forum as well as play groups, parents night out, etc. There are a number of members in fuquay as well..................definitely could help with the kids activities! Also, carolina parent magazine (carolinaparent.com) is free and you can pick it up around town, but they have a whole list of "events" for kids in the back calendar section.

Although this isn't in fuquay, but it is off of holly springs road was homegrown pizza........very good stuff!

And in durham, I would say go to the museum of life and science!

Leigh

Old 01-26-2007, 12:45 PM

15 posts, read 77,839 times
We found a great little mexican place called El Meson, (I think I spelled it correctly) it is in the Kroger Shopping Center. There food was great and prices were very reasonable. However, they were out of wine on a Friday night. ahahahah. Then on Sunday we went to the Varina Sports Bar, great place for adults but I would not take children there, and another big thing they do not serve any food items yet, the kitchen will not be finished until sometime in the Spring.

We have just moved here also, so I do not have anyother info to share about fun things to do yet.

Char

Old 01-26-2007, 01:15 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,695,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
Forgive me for not remembering the name of the place.... There is a resturant/pub on Main street, south east side of the street, by the southern most stop light. They have all you can eat ribs on Monday and Tuesday (!!!);. My wife and I have been there a coupel of times. The people are friendly, the food is decent, and they are very family friendly. Try it and let us know what you think. Meet us there sometime? We are new to the area and dont know ANYONE.

Historical... Fuquay Springs, right downtown.

How far are you willing to travel?

If you have boys and the weather is icky, there is a cool slot car racing place right downtown. My boys and I went there to watch for a while. We are not talking about cheezy slot cars, these things are FAST. The people there talked to us about what it takes to get a car set up (not cheap), and it was free, different entertainment -- for a little while at least.

If you dont mind a drive, there is Seagrove (not too close to the sea!). There are a ton of potters there with shops and the like. Just something different to do.

Raven Rock State park (just outside of Lillington) is a great place for a hike. They have fairly short trails that get back to the river there.

I hear Jordan Lake is a great place to visit as well. The fishing is supposed to be decent.

Hope this helps.
Hi Packer Fan,

We're from Wi too (Lake Geneva area). We moved to NC in March and bought a house in Holly Springs in June. We like it here too. Now we just need to find a place that serves decent brats (or any brats for that matter)! Know of any???

Old 01-26-2007, 03:54 PM

505 posts, read 2,542,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darzz1 View Post
Hi Everyone,

There are great little places to eat around here. Just remember, Holly Springs, Apex and Cary are all within 20 minutes. I give two thumbs up to Homegrown pizza in Holly springs....just 10 minutes from Fuquay.

Bass Lake Draft house is a great place for burgers and beer....and to watch sports. (Holly Springs)

There are places downtown Fuquay as well....the names all slip my mind though. In Varina there is a seafood place (Rudders) in the first space on the right heading west (55)....they are alright.

Also on Main street in Fuquay there is a place as the other poster stated. There food in pretty good.

Just give Fuquay a little while longer. I'm sure some more small places will open downtown.

Old 01-27-2007, 07:02 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,695,689 times
Has anyone tried Tracy's Tavern in F-V? I noticed a sign in the window that says kids eat free on Tuesdays. Is it a kid friendly place or more of a bar scene? Thanks for any help!

Old 01-27-2007, 07:18 AM

134 posts, read 549,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt4fam View Post
Hi Packer Fan,

We're from Wi too (Lake Geneva area). We moved to NC in March and bought a house in Holly Springs in June. We like it here too. Now we just need to find a place that serves decent brats (or any brats for that matter)! Know of any???
Hey shoot ya der hey! We moved from Waukesha.

The only place I know for brats is my back yard Tell you what, I will get the NFL ticket next year and we can have Packer parties.

Anyone else up for it??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary