Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 07:29 PM

18 posts, read 78,736 times

Advertisements

We just arrived (my husband and I) a few hours ago in Cary. We came in via the Raleigh/Durham airport. The greenery is wonderful, the temp is great in the high eighties, and the humidity is just fine with us.

We are from New Mexico...so I thought the humidity would possibly wipe us out...and I was told it was completely different from west coast humidity; however, we are finding that the humidity is no different from that we have experienced on the west coast. We feel comfortable, we are not really sweating, and the evening is so inviting that we walked around a bit after dinner.

OK. This was our first day here (actually only a part of a day) and we have not found anything we dislike. The differences from NM so far that stand out are these: many, many trees, southern architecture is quite different with peaked roofs, and wooden structures. The southern legacy of large, old mansions with smaller, structures nearby (old or former slave quarters?). There is humidity here and one cannot see as far into the distance (trees and forest are abundant and prevent that) as in NM. Finally, the demographic mix is different too (probably obvious to most people).

Finally, we went to Betski's in Raleigh which serves Eastern European food and it was absolutely wonderful! I thought I had Kielbasa before...until I went to this place where I ate spicy kielbasa made on the premises. YUM! We had some other wonderful stuff that I cannot spell, so I won't even try.

So far so good...nine more days. I have read and gotten a lot from this site that has helped us in finding our way around here. Thanks to folks from here who post (and those not from here).

jan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 10:10 PM

484 posts, read 1,367,502 times
Default happy for you

I'm glad that your enjoying yourselves so far. I lived in AZ for 3 years before moving here so I know what you mean about some of the differences. The humidity really has not affected me too much either and I was so afraid that it would being that I spent some years in NJ and experienced heavy humidity that did not please me.

It is beautiful out here and I really cannot wait to experience the the beautiful leaves changing for the Fall. Enjoy your stay xxx

Old 08-19-2008, 03:49 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
Enjoy your visit - we've been here for just over 4 months and love it. I will tell you that the humidity is not bad at all right now. It does get worse. Enjoy your stay and exploring.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:07 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,062 times
I, too, was blown away by the green. We moved from CO... The humidity will take some getting used to, but I kinda like it better than the dry heat. It's better on the skin. Enjoy the rest of your trip. Be sure to come to Durham and check out Duke Gardens... and try to take a hike at Eno River State Park.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:27 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
I am glad you are enjoying NC. Please keep in mind that currently we are having some sort of cool spell. The humidity and heat has not been that bad the last few days.

Also the detached smaller building on old Southern Architecture that you mentioned could be the old kitchens (depending on the age). In the 1800s and earlier it was common to have the kitchen in a separate building. Kitchen fires were common and this cut down on the number of houses that burned down. This practice was common in other areas too.

Have fun exploring!

Old 08-19-2008, 08:01 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Cool spell? No humidity? I was showing houses yesterday and it was HOT and HUMID! And I'm from here!

Welcome to the area. Most people that fly into this area for the first time are amazed at the GREEN and the trees! Just remember that when you are driving around, sometimes the trees hide the signs and the neighborhoods! I hope you have a GPS. They are invaluable!

Vicki

Old 08-19-2008, 12:29 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,563,693 times
Welcome to the area. You should be able to experience quite a bit with 9 days left to go. Have fun :-)

Old 08-19-2008, 12:54 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Cool spell? No humidity? I was showing houses yesterday and it was HOT and HUMID! And I'm from here!
But you have to admit that the high 80s of yesterday and the lower humidity did feel "cool" in comparison to last August about this time. Upper 90s -100s and humidity through the roof.

Then again, maybe I'm actually acclimating to the climate.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:50 PM

18 posts, read 78,736 times
This is the end of our third day (sort of) and still we are having a great time. Yesterday, we went to Big Ed's in Raleigh for breakfast. I have not ever really had southern cooking except greens, beans, and rice. I purposefully ate grits, smoked sausage, eggs, and red-eye gravy. The whole thing was very good! I now know what red-eye gravy is...I have always wondered. Very good! The ambience was also great. The waitresses were very nice, Big Ed was there, and the place has all kinds of ole time tobaccoo related stuff, a few plaques with southern history, etc. After that, we walked around town, went to the explora museum (?)...the kid oriented one. Met the man at the information booth at the park in downtown ...near the museum, rescue mission, etc. (cannot recall just now). He was a lot of fun to talk to.

Last night, we went to a Greek food place in Apex. My husband loved it...he had the Giro...and I had a pasta dish. Was OK, but I'm not a Greek food person. Apex is also a pleasant downtown to walk.

Today, we went to Guglhupf's for brunch...had the beef, blue cheese sandwich. Very good, interesting food. For those from New Mexico or who have visited, it is kind of like Flying Star...especially the one on Juan Tabo. We then went to Fall's Lake to Sandling Beach. The water was comfortable and the beach was not crowded...but it is a weekday. The water is not crystal clear, but that does not bug me...as it was not dirty. Drove into Butner.

So far, I am amazed at the amount of sun, yet the place is soo green. The green, green I am used to was many years ago in the far north of California where there was a lot of fog.

We will try to get to Eno State Park...sound good to me.
The detached, smaller structures near larger houses may be kitchens...that is very interesting. The fact that kitchens burned so easily, good idea to have it away from the house.

We will continue to explore and learn,
jan

Old 08-20-2008, 07:10 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
But you have to admit that the high 80s of yesterday and the lower humidity did feel "cool" in comparison to last August about this time. Upper 90s -100s and humidity through the roof.

Then again, maybe I'm actually acclimating to the climate.
You REMEMBER last August??? I can barely remember yesterday!

August is usually my least favorite month for the humidity. My fav is October.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary