Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2013, 04:22 PM

257 posts, read 491,836 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if Apex post office accepts mail for an address while the house is under construction? If they do, can they hold the mail for pick-up or forward it to a temporary mailbox/address?

Tried to call the post office but line's always busy. Called the 800# and they cannot answer any questions that require any thinking. The lady can only recite the answer to the closest question in their FAQ.

I don't want to have to do change of address twice with businesses, employer, banks, etc... I have a long list.

I'd like to know what out-of-state folks did with your mail while your house was under construction and you had temp housing?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 04:25 PM

9,364 posts, read 14,137,810 times
Just a guess: First, you would need a mailbox at the new house. Then it seems you would just ask the post office to hold your mail.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:43 PM

22,681 posts, read 36,841,007 times
You need an address and mailbox. They won't deliver mail if there is no mailbox.

When we moved here we rented a mailbox (at Apex, actually) and then when we moved into the house, just notified people of the new address. You don't have to do another forwarding order or change of address form - just notify people you deal with of your new addy when you move in. Most of this stuff can be done online or over the phone anyway...as bills and other correspondence come in, just notify the sender.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:52 PM

257 posts, read 491,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
You need an address and mailbox. They won't deliver mail if there is no mailbox.

When we moved here we rented a mailbox (at Apex, actually) and then when we moved into the house, just notified people of the new address. You don't have to do another forwarding order or change of address form - just notify people you deal with of your new addy when you move in. Most of this stuff can be done online or over the phone anyway...as bills and other correspondence come in, just notify the sender.
We have an address already. In fact, I could go to WCPSS website and find the assigned base school. There could be a few months in between when we move to temp housing and into the house. I understand about renting a mailbox. So, did you do a "forward address" from old address to mailbox first, then you did the "change of address" from old address to new home address when you moved in?

I just want to notify senders once with the new home address when we move. It's the interim that I'm not sure what to do. Thanks.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:49 PM

22,681 posts, read 36,841,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islander03 View Post
We have an address already. In fact, I could go to WCPSS website and find the assigned base school. There could be a few months in between when we move to temp housing and into the house. I understand about renting a mailbox. So, did you do a "forward address" from old address to mailbox first, then you did the "change of address" from old address to new home address when you moved in?

I just want to notify senders once with the new home address when we move. It's the interim that I'm not sure what to do. Thanks.
yes...filed a forwarding order to p.o. box.....then as mail came I I would just notify sender of house address....instead of filing another forwarding order...ie...I got AMEX bill and called them with house address when we moved in. You have to notify places anyway because mail is only forwarded for a year. Wont be an issue for things like your new utilities so that is easy at least.
good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary