Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2008, 07:33 AM

103 posts, read 495,609 times

Advertisements

I never really searched online for cheap gas prices but with what is going on lately...it seems I will be doing so.
I have been looking at
Raleigh Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in North Carolina
It was linked from one of the local news websites.

If you use one, which is it? I'm just wondering if some are more up-to-date than others...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 08:41 AM

100 posts, read 243,048 times
Unfortunately most of these sites are worthless due to the fact they do not have a search feature from an address within a certain mile area. Any gains you think you might get from cheaper gas quite possible is lost (burned) by traveling to the said gas station. Driving 10 miles to save a nickel is pointless considering the gas burned and time spent; it likely actually cost you money.

If you consider this issue and have the time to review the list near your area, or can plan a gas fill-up with an existing trip, then perhaps it will work out for you.

If you live near a sams, costco, or krogers with gas stations, I wouldn't waste my time with the list as they are generally pretty fair to low on the pricing scale. I don't know anything about quality, but I haven't had any issues...

Last edited by bull_city_original; 09-14-2008 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: o

Old 09-14-2008, 06:26 PM

115 posts, read 381,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icupicn View Post
I never really searched online for cheap gas prices but with what is going on lately...it seems I will be doing so.
I have been looking at
Raleigh Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in North Carolina
It was linked from one of the local news websites.

If you use one, which is it? I'm just wondering if some are more up-to-date than others...
The "gasbuddy.com" sites like that one are probably the most reliable. You have to realize, though, that the prices shown are reported price observations, so there is a natural lag between actual price changes and the reported price listed on the site, especially during times of rapid price change like the one we just experienced.

Remember that price gouging (price gouging (business practice) - Business Dictionary and Research Guide (http://www.123exp-business.com/t/04254308326/ - broken link)) is illegal and should be reported. (Raising prices because your wholesale price is going up is not price gouging - it can sometimes be a fine line...)

(edited for grammar and spelling)

Old 09-15-2008, 07:02 AM

107 posts, read 480,627 times
WRAL's website has a Fuel Tracker (accessible from the Traffic section) that allows you to search by zip code. It says it is "updated daily based on station and motorist reports". It gives a list of the stations in the neighborhood and their prices.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:00 PM

103 posts, read 495,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMEW View Post
WRAL's website has a Fuel Tracker (accessible from the Traffic section) that allows you to search by zip code. It says it is "updated daily based on station and motorist reports". It gives a list of the stations in the neighborhood and their prices.
I think the one I linked earlier is from WRAL It gives the stations address so this let's me know which route to take in order to not go out of my way.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:59 PM

5 posts, read 8,660 times
I have used gasbuddy.com with success. The map feature is the most helpful for me so I can look for stations on my route home. It is based on user reports of gas prices

Old 09-18-2008, 05:04 PM

170 posts, read 1,014,760 times
The Gasbuddy site is great, though I haven't used any other. The maps feature is the best tool for extended travel. Like if you're going to the beach, zoomout until the map displays colors to show the least expensive region you'll pass through -then zoomin to select a destination.

Typically not enough variance locally to waste too much time on this. However the boat holds 40gal so a few cents adds-up.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:43 PM

73 posts, read 158,414 times
Thanks, I always thought COSTCO had the best prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary