Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 06:04 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,716,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suncat View Post
As a newcomer, I hope it's okay that I've appropriated "y'all." It's very handy, and a lot less clunky than "you guys." English doesn't have a plural "you," such as "ustedes" in Spanish. "Y'all" is as close as it gets, and I like it.
Only problem I see here is that y'all is singular. "All y'all" is the plural form you're looking for.

I'm only half-way joking about that - if you haven't head y'all used as singular, you need to. But on the serious side, I do agree that y'all, yous, yous guys, all you, and even my personal favorite yinz are natural additions to a language that's seriously lacking in this one area.

Next up - a discussion of where exactly "over yonder" really is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 06:28 AM

847 posts, read 3,523,161 times
Oh... the usage of "all y'all" is very subtle--not the same as just "y'all" and doesn't imply that y'all is singular.

It's about as easy to explain as fourth cousin twice removed.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:54 AM

528 posts, read 1,462,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncat View Post
As a newcomer, I hope it's okay that I've appropriated "y'all." It's very handy, and a lot less clunky than "you guys." English doesn't have a plural "you," such as "ustedes" in Spanish. "Y'all" is as close as it gets, and I like it.
After 12+ years in southeastern VA I came back to Michigan saying "y'all" (with accent, which I didn't even realize I'd picked up) and haven't stopped since. You're right, it's much better than "you guys"! I still get looks when I say it here, but not as many looks as I get when I first arrived in the south and said "pop" instead of "soda"!

Old 10-08-2008, 06:58 AM

528 posts, read 1,462,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
...my personal favorite yinz are natural additions to a language that's seriously lacking in this one area.
Too funny. I heard "yinz" all the time in PA (outside Pittsburgh).

Old 10-08-2008, 09:23 AM

673 posts, read 2,266,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Only problem I see here is that y'all is singular. "All y'all" is the plural form you're looking for.

Oh, you beat me to it! I was getting ready to say that the plural to "y'all" is "all y'all"!

Old 10-08-2008, 09:28 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Yall are just crazy just butter my biscuit.

Im happier than a pig in mud you figuring this stuff out better than Opossum eating cornbread.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:29 AM

673 posts, read 2,266,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes4birds View Post
After 12+ years in southeastern VA I came back to Michigan saying "y'all" (with accent, which I didn't even realize I'd picked up) and haven't stopped since. You're right, it's much better than "you guys"! I still get looks when I say it here, but not as many looks as I get when I first arrived in the south and said "pop" instead of "soda"!
After 20 years in Michigan, I still catch myself saying "pop" when it comes to the carbonated cola beverages.

Growing up in SC, however, everything was "Coke," as in "what kind of coke do you want -- do you want Coke, 7-Up, Dr. Pepper," etc.

One of the funniest questions I had recently, at a recent lunch out with co-workers I noted a Michigan license plate, a co-worker said she heard that recycling is so much better in Michigan. When I queried her on this, she said it's because in Michigan you get "paid" so much for your bottles and cans. She didn't understand that we "paid" a bottle and can deposit when we purchased the beverage and that what we received back was the return of our deposit.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:18 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,949,188 times
I still have my NY accent and say "yous" lol...it's all good though, area has a great mix of wonderful people.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:34 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,343,126 times
Y'all come back now ya hear! zoebrunn that is the best advise I can give you. Yes there are many transplants from all parts 'round here so ya just gots to find the right kin to hear true Southern folks. Come back and set a spell, the NC State Fair is a place to get right down with da folks of NC! From cows to dem big metal rails things that take ya up yonder in da sky, whewww that's like riddin in the back of Uncle BillBob's pickups truck over the cow pasture when he's done runnin from Ma's a callin!! Welcome back to NC!

Old 10-08-2008, 10:38 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
There are very few native North Carolina's in the Raleigh area.
Sorry, this could NOT be farther from the truth. There are still thousands of native North Carolinians living in Raleigh and the Triangle (probably Durham would have the highest ratio). Lots of transplants doesn't mean there aren't still lots of natives. And, even plenty of the transplants are themselves from other parts of the South, so there is still no danger of not hearing Southern accents here--except perhaps in parts of Cary

Quote:
Oh... the usage of "all y'all" is very subtle--not the same as just "y'all" and doesn't imply that y'all is singular.
Right! Though a few usages of "y'all" as singular may slip through, it's definitely a plural pronoun. More often, someone might ask you (sing.) a question like "where are y'all from?" and mean "you and your family/kin", so it actually is being used for a generic plural, even though only one person is being addressed.

"All y'all" is not very common and situational, much the same way one would say "all of you".

Quote:
After 20 years in Michigan, I still catch myself saying "pop" when it comes to the carbonated cola beverages.
Now THAT should be a capital crime!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary