Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 09:33 AM

6,825 posts, read 9,059,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Brand new office in Brier Creek. Highly recommend.

ReflectionsWelcomeAlt2Lrg.jpg
I also go to this dentist and highly recommend it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 10:20 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9/9 View Post
Why would someone go to a dentist in an airport?
LOL!!!! You beat me to it I can hardly type for laughing....

I was going to reply - No, they don't go to the dentist at RDU, unless he can take care of them while they are in line trying to get thru security, or while they are getting their shoes shined.

OP - RDU is our airport (as mentioned). Morrisville is a small town near the airport. The cities of Raleigh and Durham basically are on the SE & NW sides of the airport.

I am not sure what time you posted yesterday but I think you should have given people time to respond before showing your irritation. You are asking them to assist YOU..right?

Old 11-17-2009, 10:46 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,166,988 times
Um, RaleighLass, you're responding to a post that is over a year old. Which raises the question: zitsky, why did you resurrect this thread? Why is that going on so much lately? Are they coming up on google searches and no one notices that they're old??

Old 11-17-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoy View Post
C
People often use Airport codes to describe a geographic location. It's a way of short hand that can be used to describe a location... this method is actually used often.
I have done this myself when talking with friends and referring to ATL. However, many airport codes cannot be used this way as they bear no resemblance to the city they are located in and would be plain silly to use. Using RDU when talking with locals is confusing for us. We do not refer to our area as this. The OP could have asked for referrals in Morrisville, but he/she asked for RDU, to us this is our airport, we name nothing else in this area RDU, just our airport. From one side of Durham to the far side of Raleigh, we are looking at 50+ miles, I imagine the OP would like a local referral.

The majority of ppl on this forum (and elsewhere) who refer to our area as RDU, do it out of ignorance. This is not meant to be insulting, I mean ignorance in that they have clearly never looked at a map of the area. Many say they plan to move here, yet have no clue as to what it looks like geographically. Many believe that Raleigh and Durham are one. When it is explained to them what RDU is, they then clarify they mean Raleigh. I have heard people say they often think the area of Raleigh IS called RDU for short.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Um, RaleighLass, you're responding to a post that is over a year old. Which raises the question: zitsky, why did you resurrect this thread? Why is that going on so much lately? Are they coming up on google searches and no one notices that they're old??
I think there needs to be an easier way of us knowing if the thread is old. Maybe the text could be a different color, or it could flash? Something kinda in your face, that you can't miss.
I've done this before, I often type as I'm doing other things and don't think to ck the op date.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:30 PM

335 posts, read 801,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
I have done this myself when talking with friends and referring to ATL. However, many airport codes cannot be used this way as they bear no resemblance to the city they are located in and would be plain silly to use. Using RDU when talking with locals is confusing for us. We do not refer to our area as this. The OP could have asked for referrals in Morrisville, but he/she asked for RDU, to us this is our airport, we name nothing else in this area RDU, just our airport. From one side of Durham to the far side of Raleigh, we are looking at 50+ miles, I imagine the OP would like a local referral.

The majority of ppl on this forum (and elsewhere) who refer to our area as RDU, do it out of ignorance. This is not meant to be insulting, I mean ignorance in that they have clearly never looked at a map of the area. Many say they plan to move here, yet have no clue as to what it looks like geographically. Many believe that Raleigh and Durham are one. When it is explained to them what RDU is, they then clarify they mean Raleigh. I have heard people say they often think the area of Raleigh IS called RDU for short.
Exactly. In short, if you are referring to:
The airport or its immediate vicinity* = RDU
This area in general = the Triangle
A specific city = the city name
The area that lies between Raleigh, Durham (OK, it's technically part of Durham) and Chapel Hill where all the industries are = RTP

*by immediate vicinity, I mean "Where is the nearest ABC store to RDU?", for example.

And please, please, in my politest voice please, do not make up your own acronyms for the area. The previously established ones work just fine.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:35 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezecake View Post
Nope - you're out of luck. Half the people in North Carolina don't even have any teeth!!

And the ones who do typically only have a few....

Sorry!

FALSE: Everyone knows the Toothbrush was INVENTED right here in North Cackilacky.

(Because if it was invented anywhere else, it would be called the "teethbrush")

Old 11-17-2009, 12:38 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownEastB View Post
Exactly. In short, if you are referring to:
*by immediate vicinity, I mean "Where is the nearest ABC store to RDU?", for example.
No idea, but I bet that if you ask a Northwest Airlines Pilot, they could tell you..... hahahahahaha

(Sorry, really slow day at work...)

Old 11-17-2009, 07:15 PM

107 posts, read 311,941 times
I really like the Lane and Associates office on Miami - and actually found them via CDforums

Old 11-18-2009, 04:07 PM

71 posts, read 210,366 times
Preston Dental in Cary on Cary Parkway - Drs. Lisa and Greg Mayes - are great and they do invisalign (I don't think they do wired braces but you should ask if you call them). I've found that its the hygienist that makes/breaks my experience with dentist. I used to go to Serene Smiles - really like Dr. Shah, but his hygienist was awful. His office is small, just the one hygienist, so it wasn't like I could ask for someone else. Anyway, now that I've moved to Preston Dental I'm really happy with everyone there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary