Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2008, 07:41 PM

371 posts, read 1,263,061 times

Advertisements

What can we do around the holidays to volunteer locally? We of course gave to the toys for tots and local Salvation Army stops, but does anyone have ideas that we can do as a family ( w/ toddlers! )? Nursing homes or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 03:00 PM

56 posts, read 149,821 times
I don't know what town your from, but in Carrboro/Chapel Hill is the Interfaith Council (IFC). They serve the homeless and indigent population, and have three buildings - one of which serves woman who are trying to get back on their feet again. They almost always need volunteers and that particular building for woman takes volunteers to work with childcare (their kids). You might want to see if you can help there (I figured you may be able to bring your kids too). Just google IFC Carrboro NC and that should get you soem contact info. I volunteered there during a summer off from college a few years ago and their nice people.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:54 AM

266 posts, read 1,054,714 times
Default Most organizations do not allow...

children under 16 to volunteer, even when accompanied by parents.
You may want to call some local churches.
Also, you can get together with your children and shop for a family, letting the children pick out gloves or other items, then wrap them together. You may be able to deliver them personally, but that depends on the organization from which you obtain the family's name and information.
I have a client with a young son who is always looking for ways to help folks. When they wanted to volunteer to serve a meal at Thanksgiving, I called all over and got the same answer at all the larger organizations... no one under 16! If anyone knows of places that do allow younger kids, I would love to pass that on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary