Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 11:53 AM

21 posts, read 43,989 times

Advertisements

What are the pros and cons of living in Chapel Hill?

If someone were to work in the 27514 zip code area, what would it be like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 12:15 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
Lots of young white females (most likely attending college, I would think) according to City-Data:

http://www.city-data.com/zips/27514.html

Old 10-15-2009, 12:16 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,721 times
In a nutshell:

Pros

Safe
Good schools
Great restaurants and culture
Free buses all around Chapel Hill and Carrboro
Lively university community
Overall highly educated and interesting population
Great for biking (trails and bike lanes), nature nearby
Lots of interesting locally owned businesses

Cons

Traffic is much worse than it should be for a city of its size
Expensive relative to other nice areas in the Triangle
Residents can be overly political (almost groupie-like)
Relative lack of chain restaurants and stores (if this is a problem)

I like in the area and on the whole, I like it quite a lot, although there are certainly times I'd prefer a larger city atmosphere.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
In a nutshell:

Pros

Safe
Good schools
Great restaurants and culture
Free buses all around Chapel Hill and Carrboro
Lively university community
Overall highly educated and interesting population
Great for biking (trails and bike lanes), nature nearby
Lots of interesting locally owned businesses

Cons

Traffic is much worse than it should be for a city of its size
Expensive relative to other nice areas in the Triangle
Residents can be overly political (almost groupie-like)
Relative lack of chain restaurants and stores (if this is a problem)

I like in the area and on the whole, I like it quite a lot, although there are certainly times I'd prefer a larger city atmosphere.
Thank you for the concise answer. One thing that worries me is the lack of chain restaurants and stores. We can handle the high prices, love the liberal politics, can deal with traffic. Strange to think of rural and liberal in the same sentence...

Is there a side of town that is closer to the malls and general shopping?

Old 10-15-2009, 12:43 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trustfundbaby View Post
Thank you for the concise answer. One thing that worries me is the lack of chain restaurants and stores. We can handle the high prices, love the liberal politics, can deal with traffic. Strange to think of rural and liberal in the same sentence...

Is there a side of town that is closer to the malls and general shopping?
Chapel Hill itself is not rural. There are rural areas around it, but they are falling to the same development that the rest of this area is. Hillsborough to the north is more small-town-ish with the same liberal/intellectual bent that CH has.

The Eastern side of town, toward Durham and Raleigh, is closer to the malls. There is a small mall, University Mall, in CH itself but it's very drab-looking and dated, even while having some of the coolest "boutiquy" stores you'll ever see (Don't miss CAMERON'S, which is one of a kind, or A Southern Season, or the kitchen store there). Southpoint on I-40 is the closest big mall. If you lived in CH, you'd be going to Durham and probably Raleigh a lot to shop, anyway.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:45 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,614 times
Living in Chapel Hill gives you access to lots of chains, if that's what you need. YOu can get to Target in about 15 minutes. There are chain grocery stores, there's a Trader Joes, a few Whole Foods, and others. There's plenty of chain-y things. You can even get to Wal Mart in about 15 minutes. Sometimes I wish we would have moved to CH instead of Durham, but the commute would have been bad and Durham is pretty fine too. Chapel Hill would be MY first choice of places to live in the Triangle, followed by Durham, then Hillsborough, then Wake County. But others here will totally disagree with me.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:47 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,614 times
Really? I never go to Raleigh to shop (not that there's anything wrong with Raleigh). I have everything I need in Durham and CH.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:48 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
There is a small mall (University Mall) and a shopping plaza (Eastgate) in Chapel Hill between East Franklin Street and US15/501.

There's plenty of other shopping nearby:

US 15/501 in Durham offers a lot of big box retailers. There's a Home Depot and Walmart in Hillsborough about 10 miles north of northwest Chapel Hill. Further east on I-40 is Southpoint mall and all the retail areas around it.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:00 PM

55 posts, read 144,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
Really? I never go to Raleigh to shop (not that there's anything wrong with Raleigh). I have everything I need in Durham and CH.
I agree. I have lived in CH for 11 years and have never needed to go to Raleigh or Cary to shop. I have always been able to find whatever I need in CH or Durham.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
There is a small mall (University Mall) and a shopping plaza (Eastgate) in Chapel Hill between East Franklin Street and US15/501.

There's plenty of other shopping nearby:

US 15/501 in Durham offers a lot of big box retailers. There's a Home Depot and Walmart in Hillsborough about 10 miles north of northwest Chapel Hill. Further east on I-40 is Southpoint mall and all the retail areas around it.
I think that Chapel Hill will end up being too rural for our tastes. We've been living in Scottsdale, AZ for so long that we've gotten used to things being within a 2-5 minute drive. Driving 15 minutes to go to the grocery store or to get to a Target, etc. just seems too long for us.

How far of a drive in general is Durham or Raleigh? Work would be in 72514 zip code area. I have no clue where that is located. Thanks for all the answers thus far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary