Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2009, 07:37 AM

15 posts, read 51,196 times

Advertisements

I would love to know if anyone has any experience sending their kids to the YMCS summer camp at camp clearwater?

Thank you,
Amy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 09:47 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,502,387 times
I haven't but I do have several friends who have, and they loved it. Sorry I can't be more help than that, but the "hearsay" at least is good!

Old 02-04-2009, 10:22 AM

"Hearsay" is good too!
I mistyped and should have put YMCA not YMCS but I think most will get what I mean.
Anyone else with opinions about Camp Clearwater?

Thanks.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:48 AM

72 posts, read 283,280 times
I went to the camp for several summers and liked it ok (bear in mind this was almost 20 years ago). The camp activites themselves were enjoyable but I remember the lake itself being kind of gross. My main problem is that I didn't have any friends there (I grew up in Chatham County and most of the people there were from the Chapel Hill area and went to school together) but other than that it would be a good place to send your kids.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:42 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy st. View Post
"Hearsay" is good too!
I mistyped and should have put YMCA not YMCS but I think most will get what I mean.
Anyone else with opinions about Camp Clearwater?

Thanks.
My two older girls have both gone to Clearwater and liked it very much. Biggest downside is no onsite swimming. They bus the kids back to the Chapel Hill Y for swimming twice during the week.

They do have a large pond for boating/canoeing and fishing but it isn't safe for swimming.

Other than that, good general summer camp with arts and crafts, sports, archery, skits and the like. Good local day camp option.

I can tell you my girls got bored of it after 2 summers and started going to overnight camp at Cheerio, also a Y camp, its in the mountains near the VA/NC border.

They started going to the overnight camp at age 9 and have no interest now in the daycamps...

Old 02-04-2009, 06:21 PM

Wow, my girls are not interested in overnight camps at all and they are (8 and 10). Lucky you!

Did you think it was way too hot for your kids being outside all day long in the heat of the summer?

Old 05-18-2016, 09:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,120 times
Default Reviews of Camp Clearwater-Chapel Hill Y 2016?

Good Morning,

We are looking at Camp Clearwater for our adventuresome yet sensitive five and a half year old daughter.

Can a few people let us know their experiences with the staff and the camp activities?

Wondering their emphasis on nature, community, arts, and soccer and if the camp is a supportive and engaging environment?

With much thanks,
Gary
Dad to adventuresome Claudia!

Old 05-18-2016, 06:26 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
I was actually one of the Directors of Camp Clearwater until Summer 2015 and now oversee several of the other summer day camps run through the Chapel Hill-Carrboro Y.

Clearwater is a stand-out day camp in the Triangle region. Very traditional outdoors camp with canoes, fishing, archery, bb's, funny theme weeks and assemblies.

I'd reach out to one of the current directors; Alex or Sam, with more specifics about this summer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary