Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2009, 04:01 PM

215 posts, read 607,395 times

Advertisements

I need to start looking an apartment asap. I just can't keep working at home in my parent's house. There's nothing buy constant fighting and such that I can't get no work done. Yes, there's during the day when no one is at home, but my work can go all the way into the morning hours sometimes. For example today and the next couple of weeks I'm going to have work to do for at least 24+ hours a day and I just can't handle all this crap. For instance, they want me to go fix their computer, which they never consulted me before buying, to do some internet surfing and such. Then they're gonna bite my head off when it turns out to be hardware problems and not software. I just can't ****en take it no more. So, enough of that rant what should I be looking at in an apartment? What areas are halfway decent? Note that I have no friends or anyone to fall back on except for maybe my grandparents, which I don't want to do.

I found this one apartment, but how is the area over there? I'm out near Fuquay (I think) right now at my parent's house.

Raleigh Apartments - 740 Smallwood Dr. | Apartments.com

My work is an at home job doing video editing. I have about 20 computers that are all used and I require hi-speed internet access and at least basic cable to do the video recording and all. I do get a disability check, but that's gone after I make so much, but right now it's around $620 a month. I get paid every two weeks and it usually ranges from $350 to $520 each check.

I just can't think right now but I know I would be needing to pay the following:

Car Insurance
Electric Bill
Water Bill
Groceries
Emergency Fund

How much do you think I should put back for these right here? I do also do a few side jobs on the internet for some extra cash as well. And my car is on it's last legs so I'll need something else soon to get to my boss's house, etc. Other than that I really don't go no where unless it's to meet my social skills guy. My car is a 1991 honda accord lx with ~180,600 miles on it. The car misses a lot, which I'm sure will be solved with a new set of spark plug wires. Can anyone help me come up with a budget so I can get out of here. I would like to move at the end of July when I turn 21.

Last edited by BryceE; 04-27-2009 at 04:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 04:28 PM

766 posts, read 1,658,925 times
Normally you must make 3 times the rent, which would put you at $300-$466 a month.

Would you consider a roommate? That's pretty much what I had to do when I was your age. My first apt in 2002 (maybe 2003) I had 2 roommates. I would never do it again though.

Are you a student? If so would you consider living on campus in a dorm or off campus apartments owned or leased by your school?

I would really need more info on your situation. Do you have a car payment, etc? You could probably find a decent, nonglamorous 1 bedroom for $500 and some change.

What city? Any specific area of town?

Old 04-27-2009, 04:37 PM

104 posts, read 377,295 times
Didn't you come on here before with the same story?

Why not read your own threads?
Moving out and need help with amount for utilities.
Moving out, need some help on a few questions

Old 04-27-2009, 04:39 PM

I'm 20, 21 in July. I would like to go back to college but right now I can't. A roommate would be fine, but I really don't know anyone, never have. My car is paid off, but it's on it's last legs and I can't afford a new one right now. I've been trying to save every dime I can to get one, but it's not doing a thing. I do have ONE, just one guy I know (he's my social skills worker) but he's already got an apartment with two roommates. My parents are divorced as well, or well going through the divorce process. My dad says we should get a place together but he doesn't work even though he says he does. And I don't know how to say no, I can't afford to support both of us. That's the main reason they split up, he never did anything.

I just want to find a small, 1 bedroom apartment that has what I need for work and that's all I need. I'm pretty sure I could afford to live on my own, but the thing is since I've never really had friends I'm sortof scared to be alone. Once I move out it's done and I'm all on my own. My monthly income for my job alone is kinda screwy and it's different amounts all the time. And my check each month goes away once you make like over $2000 or something, which I don't mind if I could find a job I could live off of decently. I do have one hobby, which is computers. I'm good with just about everything to do with them, but it's also an expensive hobby building them. I can give that up though in order to live and just get by and do my work. And my other main thing is insurance, budgeting, bills, etc. I've never had credit and never really want it, but I'm afraid if I move out I'm going to have to live on credit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhNoMongo View Post
Didn't you come on here before with the same story?

Why not read your own threads?
Moving out and need help with amount for utilities.
Moving out, need some help on a few questions
Sorry, I'm just a bit distraught right now. I'll go look at the past threads I made.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:57 PM

Moving Out Expenses

Rent: $585
Deposit: $200
Car Insurance: $120
Gas: $100
Utilities (water/ac/electric): $200
Food: $120
Basic Cable: $60
Hi-Speed Internet: $60
Phone: $50

All expenses are monthly

Total: $1495.00

Income

SSI: $620.00 (goes away after I reach $2000 income from work)
Work: $350-$520 ($450 usually) every 2 weeks

Total: $1745.00

Leftover Money: $1495.00 - $1745.00 = $250.00

Old 04-28-2009, 08:38 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,646,578 times
Raleigh Apartments are in a great area near Cameron Village. You can walk to the grocery store, restaurants, shops, parks, and Glenwood South.

Other ones to look into in this area are Cameron Court, Shelton Apartments, Grosvenor Gardens, Shamrock apartments, etc.

Definitely look into roommates. You can search on craigslist under rooms/shared for people who are looking for roommates or have a room to rent out. Having a roommate or two will really cut your costs for utilities and rent as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary