Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 11:05 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
PeiWei has been very good at using potato starch instead of wheat in my sweet and sour shrimp with rice takeout (call ahead and see if they'll do it), and they actually DO have a gluten-free soy sauce that they include, but I never used it.
Yeah. . . . .but then I'd have to eat at PeiWei (running gag, sorry)

Quote:
Lilly's Pizza also offered gluten-free pizza this year; call to see if they still have it.
Unfortunately, Lilly's gluten free pizza dough tastes like a pie crust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 11:08 AM

36 posts, read 87,400 times
Would love to see a few more independent restaurants in Downtown WF, which would really help the revitalisation efforts. Cuisines preferred (in no particular order): Indian, Middle Eastern (esp Persian), French, Thai, Spanish, (good) Chinese, Afghan.
Beverages: Full bar, but as someone already noted, appropriate to the style of the cuisine.
Price Point: Affordable lunches, moderate dinners, but quality/uniqueness may provide some wiggle room.
Decor: Depends on the type of restaurant. Doesn't need to be fancy - the overall ambience counts for more. Definitely a bonus to have combination of indoor/outdoor eating areas.
Family friendly: We're not originally from these parts so not exactly sure what this means or implies. Should this be taken as chain restaurants and kid's meals? If that's the case count us out. However, family friendly could also mean that well behaved children would be welcome to come along, be well treated by a high quality staff team and perhaps enjoy a new culinary experience - if that's the case then family friendly works

Last edited by candj; 03-10-2009 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: missing word

Old 03-10-2009, 07:50 PM

17 posts, read 42,195 times
Point taken on the Gluten Free options....I also think a good selection of Vegetarian options as well as staff being aware of options for people with allergies is important.

I appreciate all the feedback...keep it coming, it's really helping

Michael

Old 03-10-2009, 08:00 PM

646 posts, read 2,050,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candj View Post
Family friendly: We're not originally from these parts so not exactly sure what this means or implies. Should this be taken as chain restaurants and kid's meals? If that's the case count us out. However, family friendly could also mean that well behaved children would be welcome to come along, be well treated by a high quality staff team and perhaps enjoy a new culinary experience - if that's the case then family friendly works
Family friendly doesn't have to mean chains but most of those normally are 'Family Friendly'.

It's more the dumbing down of the entire menu for the most part, bright lights, limited bar options, a tendency to rush people through their meals (since most families with small children don't tend to linger and talk over a meal) and a tolerance of loud children in general.

There are plenty of resturants that don't advertise themselves as 'family friendly' that certainly don't give the bum's rush to children, may have a few kid friendly items on the menu, but that just isn't their main focus.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:43 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
Lilly's gluten-free pizza tasted like pie crust only when they ran out of wheat-free flour and used some kind of molasses stuff. I haven't been back recently, so I'm not sure if they went back to the non-molasses ingredients. I hope so. The first time I had it (without molasses), it was great -- certainly not as sweet tasting.

You wrote:
Unfortunately, Lilly's gluten free pizza dough tastes like a pie crust

Old 03-10-2009, 09:01 PM

Re family friendly -- in my earlier years in Raleigh, I always thought Angus Barn was a "special" restaurant -- a place to get a little bit dressed up. I'd been there a few times. But a few years ago, we went on a Saturday evening with friends from work. I was shocked when we were in a room with the hay bales, and it was like Chuck E. Cheese. We could barely hear each other.

I couldn't believe the screaming kids running around. They were all young families (not a group, separate families). I never thought of Angus Barn as a restaurant for toddlers or kindergarteners, but I guess I was wrong.

My younger sister tells me these days nobody ever pays for babysitters, so I guess everyone brings their kids with them everywhere they go.

I like kids, but I'd like there to be a restaurant where they weren't all running around screaming. Maybe a separate room with a big TV screen would be good for them? And cages. Just kidding about the cages.

Instead of asking "Smoking or no smoking?" (which will soon be passe, I hope), the hostess could ask, "Screaming overtired whining children or NO screaming overtired whining children?" and direct the customers to the appropriate room.

We also always seem to be in restaurants during prom season, which is fun. But I feel a bit sorry for the kids all dressed up. They are always REALLY overdressed for the restaurant. Seems there should be more choices for "special" restaurants in Raleigh for such occasions -- and not everyone can afford Second Empire.

I guess if you're going to open a restaurant in Wake Forest, it would almost have to be kid friendly. Unfortunately.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,904 times
Been living in different places that serve good food in Asia, gourmet cuisine in NY, LA and etc. When i came to Wake Forest, was a little suprise with the selection available. Enough with the fast food & defrosted meals serve in some restaurant. Would love to see some affordable gourmet style cuisine, goes with some good wine/beer/cocktail. Preferable a place to chat/date/dine/wine/. Good take out menu of course.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:28 PM

44 posts, read 167,155 times
Default Absolutely - Gluten free!!

It would be phenomenal to be able to go to a restaurant and not worry about getting sick afterwards. To have a place dedicated to gluten free would have some extremely loyal customers. A whole gluten free restaurant that could be trusted - not a place that offers just a couple of things off the menu but has a majority of gluten products so the actual food doesn't get me sick but the cross contamination does!! That would be GREAT!!

Old 03-26-2009, 03:27 PM

Someone on this board told me about Bella Monica on Edwards Mill Road in Raleigh. They appear to have gluten-free items. Looking forward to trying it.

They have gluten-free bread and LINGUINE. OMG.

Their gluten-free menu: http://www.bellamonica.com/pdf/Bella...GlutenFree.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoreFLA View Post
It would be phenomenal to be able to go to a restaurant and not worry about getting sick afterwards. To have a place dedicated to gluten free would have some extremely loyal customers. A whole gluten free restaurant that could be trusted - not a place that offers just a couple of things off the menu but has a majority of gluten products so the actual food doesn't get me sick but the cross contamination does!! That would be GREAT!!

Old 03-26-2009, 04:23 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
Quote:
Someone on this board told me about Bella Monica on Edwards Mill Road in Raleigh. They appear to have gluten-free items. Looking forward to trying it.

They have gluten-free bread and LINGUINE. OMG.

Their gluten-free menu: http://www.bellamonica.com/pdf/Bella...GlutenFree.pdf
We went there a couple of weeks ago and had their GF pizza. Better than the GF pizza that we had at Lilly's, but it's debatable whether Lilly's had their normal GF crust that day.

Oh, and I can't see anyone opening a gluten-free restaurant. Why would anyone eat food that tasted like cardboard if they didn't need to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary